Planning a Barbie themed birthday party? Here’s a fun idea… This Barbie “Birthday Cake” Centerpiece is simple and stylish, and packs a big punch in the decor department! It’s also super versatile; you can easily switch up the patterned paper and colors to customize the look however you’d like. :)
This centerpiece is from the Colorful Barbie Birthday Party that I recently designed for Mattel®. Check out the full party out here. I chose the Barbie Rainbow Hair Doll as my “cake topper” for this design because her outfit perfectly matched the Free Printables that I designed for the party, which made things super easy!
As far as the DIY materials go, here’s what you’ll need for this project:
- Round Paper Mache Boxes in 8” and 10” (I used this set)
- Patterned Paper
- Scissors and/or Paper Cutter
- Silver Spray Paint
- Spray Adhesive
- Wooden Letter
- Craft Glitter
1. Spray paint the lids of the boxes silver, and let dry.
2. Cut pieces of patterned paper to fit the sides of the boxes and the surface of the lid. Attach the paper to the boxes with spray adhesive.
3. Use matching ribbon to cover any seams that form where the patterned papers meet on the sides of your boxes. Add more strips of ribbon evenly around the box for extra embellishment!
4. Cover the wooden letter (the first initial of the birthday girl) in glitter to add a little “Barbie glam” factor.
5. Stack the finished round boxes on top of each other, then set a Barbie Doll on top. (Use a doll stand to help keep her upright.)
6. Place the glittered initial in front of the doll stand to personalize the cake. Done!
You can also use the little accessories that come with the Rainbow Hair Dolls (a rainbow flat iron, hair clips, and brush) to further embellish the cake centerpiece, OR to create a separate “beauty themed” decorative display for the party, like this:
P.S. Make sure to visit the full Colorful Barbie Birthday Party post to find LOTS more ideas like this one! :)