Gooey experiments, spewing “lava” & tasty petri dish treats — why couldn’t those things have been a part of my science classes?! My hypothesis is that there is absolutely nothing crazy about this Mad Science Birthday Party Experiment, where just about everything you see was made by the hands of Amy Liu Bissett of A Dazzle Day! It’s so hard to pick out just one favorite thing — everything is so amazing! Seriously so many good ideas here for those looking for some experimental fun or even just activities to keep the kiddos busy!
PARTY HIGHLIGHTS to look out for:
- Periodic Table of Elements style desserts + lab coats, bow-ties & goggles for each scientist
- Green & blue molecule cake, blue jello & gummy worm petri dishes + Rice Krispie treat molecules
- DIY test tube piñata, doodled party favor totes & hanging painted styrofoam molecule structure
- Dry Ice bubbles, Mentos & Coke explosion & a build your own molecule activity
PARTY DETAILS as told by Amy…
Who doesn’t like a party loaded with fun science experiments? My son who just turned 8 asked for a Mad Science party so I delivered one! A Mad Science party is so much fun to design and put together. I am not a very science oriented person so it took me some time to gather up all the research online so we could have a true science celebration! We prepared 5 awesome experiments for everyone and they had a blast! Plus, lots of DIYs!
I had the honor again to work with my favorite designer, Tania from Tania’s Design Studio. She inspired me with her printables as I incorporated my designs and ideas together.
- Chocolate Birthday Cake
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cake Pops
- Rice Krispy Molecules
- Jello with Worm Candy
- Dipped Pretzels
The sketches on the favor bag was specially designed by my lovely sister-in-law, Tara Bissett. I sketched each bag using permanent marker. This was probably the most labor intense DIY from this party. Each bag was filled with goodies that kids love!
- Science Experiments
- Blow up a Balloon
- Dry Ice Bubbles
- Diet Coke + Mentos Explosion
Test Tube Pinata: This was the most fun project which I involved all my kids. They had fun putting all the newspaper strips on the balloon. I was inspired by this blog.
- All of the decorations
- Center Molecule hanging piece
- Birthday boy party hat
- Bow ties
- Test Tube Piñata
- Jello dishes
- Chocolate pretzels
- Molecule party centrepiece
- Photo Booth Decoration
- Rice Krispy Molecules
- Cake pops
- Birthday cake and cupcakes
- Painted canvas artwork (sign at door)
- Hand sketched Favor Bags