There’s nothing quite like being out in the wilderness, huddled around a fire, roasting s’mores & telling ghost stories with friends. For her little camper’s first birthday, Eunice Kim of Sage Event Planning created this Rustic Woodland Camping First Birthday Party with lots of fun activities & relaxation in mind. I am loving the natural wooden elements and adorable felt animals — makes you feel like you’re hanging out in a log cabin at camp! Mission accomplished! :)
PARTY HIGHLIGHTS to look out for:
- Traditional Dohl guessing game & bean towers + orange & green tablescapes and a pop-up tent
- Custom wooden camp sign, Camp Counselor shirts + woodland felt birthday crown
- Woodland paper flowers photo booth backdrop + a build your own terrarium activity
- Layered cake with woodland animal toppers + s’mores on a stick, ‘lake water’ & chocolate ‘dirt’ cups
PARTY DETAILS as told by Eunice…
“Happy campers, unite!” Any parent wants their child’s first birthday to be special; for someone who is an event coordinator like myself, that desire exponentially grows. Having designed and planned several first birthday parties for other children, I knew that I needed to balance aesthetics and kid-friendliness, all the while ensuring that I stay on budget and not drive myself (or my husband) crazy. After brainstorming several possible themes for Jayden’s party, my husband and I mutually decided that a camping/woodlands theme was perfect. We’ve always loved the outdoors and Jayden’s interest in animals and wildlife piqued early on with various books and toys.
I quickly discovered how broad our theme was — from delicate, rustic greenery to bold, cartoony graphics — and so, I wanted to find some consistency to bring all the elements of J’s party together. As soon as I decided on using Charlie the Fox and the squirrel characters from Le Trango (check out her other characters — adorable!), I knew all the other details would fall into place. Our color scheme was simple: burnt orange, hues of brown, and shades of green. From there, we added more natural elements, such as wood, greenery, and pinecones, which were tied into every area of the party: entry path, head table, welcome table, centerpieces, etc.
As for the party itself, we wanted our guests to feel comfortable — it’s camp afterall! From a DIY Italian soda bar and a photo booth, to crafts for kids of all ages (terrariums and dirt cups), the afternoon was meant to feel like a day at camp: a fun and relaxing time with friends. Our little trooper enjoyed the day as well! He absolutely loved stomping around among the pinecones, and he especially enjoyed his cake smash! As families left that day, some of the kids asked if they could come back to camp tomorrow — perhaps a new annual tradition has begun?
- Venue: Private Clubhouse, CA
- Design & Planning: Sage Event Planning
- Photographer: White August Photography
- Catering: Blake’s Place BBQ
- Charlie the Fox + Squirrel Characters: Le Trango
- Farm Table Rentals: Something Borrowed Something Vintage
- Fruitwood Chair Rentals: Celebrations Party Rentals
- Desserts: M Cakes Sweets
- Photo booth Backdrop: Handmade by Sara Kim
- Photo booth: Sage Event Planning
- Tissue Tassels & Banner: Paper Fox LA
- Wood signage, dohl towers, centerpieces, other decorations: Sage Event Planning