Bright and Cheerful Mexican Fiesta Birthday Party

bright girly fiesta tablescape decor

Viva la Fiesta! Clair Griffiths of Calamity Cakes did an amazing job creating this Bright and Cheerful Mexican Fiesta Birthday Party for her daughter’s birthday, which included a whole lot of DIY… like those awesome taqueria and drinks stands, which she made using pallets and fence palings! From traditional Mexican food and live Mariachi music to a gorgeous ruffled dessert table, piñata, and so many more colorful details, mom did a fabulous job getting everyone in the fiesta spirit. Feliz cumpleaños, Maia!

PARTY HIGHLIGHTS to look out for:

– Beautiful bright pink, orange & yellow floral design in the printables, decor, on cookies & face paintings
– Tons of jars filled with festive candies, layered pink & orange jello, and rainbow layered cake
– Tablescape adorned with bright poms, laser cut party flag drink stirrers & DIY striped wooden utensils
–Colorful ruffle & rosette cake + a ruffled dessert table skirt & potted geranium accents
– Taco salad bar at the DIY Taqueria stand + fresh made fruit juices and chalkboard food & drink menus

mexican fiesta birthday party ideas

pink, orange and yellow ruffles and flowers fiesta cake

stamp cut party flags

FIY taqueria taco food stand

chalkboard mexican food menu for a fiesta

DIY painted stripes on wooden forks and utensils

pink, orange and yellow dessert table

brightly colored candy and flower printed or decorated sugar cookies

cactus cookies and pink and orange layered jellos

personalized wooden chair backs and kids party table

DIY fiesta drinks stand

mexican fiesta party fruit drinks

mexican mariachi music for a kids birthday fiesta

birthday party face painting

little girl's flowery face painting

rainbow potted flowers and floral party printable design and decor

PARTY DETAILS as told by Clair

This Mexican Fiesta 7th Birthday Party for my daughter Maia, involved countless hours of planning and a whole lot of DIY. I created the taqueria, drink stand and dessert tables using pallets and fence palings. It was so much fun seeing them come to life with colour. Chairs were purchased from various locations and some were refinished with some vintage paint effects.

Outfits: Guests were asked to dress in their most colourful festive wear. The birthday girl and little sister Alice wore beautiful outfits and headdresses designed by Mud Puddles and Dandelions. Maia’s only requirements were the dress needed to be bright and, “I want to be able to twirl in it!”

Decorations: Our colour palette was hot pink, orange, yellow and a touch of lime. Lots of paper pom poms were hung from the trees. I had ordered custom designed papel picado from Mexico, but it got held up in the mail, which was disappointing.

Guest tables were covered with white cloths and satin runners, coloured plates, large contrasting paper flowers, daisy lid mason jars with strapped straws and paper doilies, lots of flowers and a large colourful candelabra.

Fabulous Mexican inspired sign posts and custom names were created using old fence timber painted white and embossed.

Chalkboard backgrounds and fonts were used to create a market stand feel listing food and drinks being offered to the guests.

I had great fun creating a few of my own lapel picado, straw tags and paper doilies using my new Silhouette machine. What a great time zapper :) The hand painted wooden cutlery was created by the birthday girl and I.

Drinks: Mexican Punch; lemonade and water

Food: Tacos, salsa salads and nachos

Dessert Table: We had a chocolate mud cake covered with ruffles, spots and roses, inspired by the birthday girl’s dress, colourful rainbow cupcakes in jars, jello, cactus and flower sugar cookies and lots of festive coloured candy.

Entertainment: The ‘Mex Music Man’ played all sorts of children’s songs as well as some Mexican music while the children danced, played instruments and sang along and played the Piñata game. The joy on my daughters face as she sand along was completely priceless.

Favours: Wooden names attached to chairs with large peony hair clip, marigold in terracotta pot, custom muslin drawstring bags filled with candy reading ‘deliscioso dulces’ (delicious sweets).

VENDOR CREDITS:

– Styling, stands, chalkboards, paperie and desserts: Calamity Cakes
– Photography: Sarah Churcher Photography
– Dresses & Headdresses: Mud Puddles and Dandelions
– Entertainment: Mex Music
– Face painting: Stardust & Seahorses
– Sign posts & personalized names: Downtown Revolution
– Favour Bags: Blank Goods

POSTED BY:Dayna GoldmanHi, I’m Dayna, the newest team member here at Hostess with the Mostess, where, as the Editorial & Design Assistant, I have been introduced to this amazing world of events for the first time.

24 responses to “Bright and Cheerful Mexican Fiesta Birthday Party”

1. Hola says:

THIS is nice..but you really have to take Spanish lessons. HOLA, not OLA,and so on…

2. Bright and Cheerful Mexican Fiesta Birthday Party http://t.co/OOzas5QDTL

3. @La_CandyBar says:

¡Cómo nos gustan las fiestas de inspiración mexicana! Color y alegría por todas partes. http://t.co/xJrFCvNy1p #party #sweet

4. @La_CandyBar says:

Colores vibrantes en una fiesta de inspiración mexicana. ¡Nos encanta! http://t.co/ZavZIIkuFz #party #sweet

5. Clair says:

Apologies to anyone who seems to have been offended by the use of the word Ola. I read that this meant a wave… meaning a rush of excitement or joy. It was not intended to say Hola! I thought I had it all right. This was my daughters party and did almost everything myself. Why can’t people just enjoy the pictures for what they were, a party made with love for my gorgeous girl, not try to tear them down. Very disappointing.

• Angie says:

Don’t be disappointed! It’s a beautiful decoration!
      but as a Spanish speaker, I also thought it was mispelled when I saw Ola and not Hola. You had a reason to write Ola, so don’t mind these comments ;)
      What is important is that everyone enjoyed the party!

• Erica Cano says:

Your party was amazing!!! People can be so mean :)

• K says:

Ignore the haters. This party is beautiful and is the inspiration for my daughter’s upcoming birthday party on Cinco de Mayo – thank you!!

6. Alissa says:

Oh my, this party is perfection! I love the colour scheme for myself!

7. Ellen Tomak Fritz says:

Claire I can't believe what a creative and colorful mind you have. You are one talented lady. Any little girl would love to have such a momma as you!

8. […] Fiesta Party Dessert Table-Hostess With The Mostess,  Orange, Pink And Yellow Fiesta Food Bar- Babble, Paper Pinwheels-Dream Green DIY, Cute Fiesta […]

9. Christina says:

Clair, where did you find the printable design for your invitations and favor bags? I love it and would like to use it for my daughters first bday.

10. Marjorie says:

I love all the printable designs. Is there somewhere I can buy them? I don’t see a link or any information in the post. Thanks!

11. kelly says:

Beautiful party! Great job

12. jackie says:

Hi, Where did u get your table skirt? its beautiful

13. jackie says:

i am in love with the invitation is there a link as to where i can purchase or download the design?

14. lettirose says:

Any way i can get a digital download of the invitations?

15. rosa says:

Where can we find the gorgeous invitations??

16. […] 7. Colorful Tableware. This is a must! Straws, plates, napkins – all with lots of beautiful and bold color! Don’t be afraid to mix and match, that’s what makes the Fiesta so great! Use 3 or 4 main colors and spread them throughout. We love the use of color in this party from HWTM! […]

17. […] Hostess With The Mostess / Photography by Sarah Churcher […]

18. Leah says:

this looks like an amazing and fun party! and you even had a mariachi band, how cool! love the color combo and all the pretty little details. good job!

19. Jessica Lozano says:

where did you get those invites??

20. Victoria says:

I’m going crazy trying to find the invitations! Could you please give the link or source? Thank you!!

• jenn s. says:

Hi Victoria – I think that Clair made the invitations & other paper details herself. Maybe try messaging her to see if she’s willing to sell them? You can contact her here. I’ve also seen similar styles on Etsy and Minted.com if you want to check there… good luck! :)