There are not a lot of treats that are sweeter nor lighter than a crisp and chewy meringue. Pair them with luscious berry mousse and you have the perfect summertime dessert. Tessa Huff here, from Tessa Huff Cake Design, and I have a secret to share: I love meringue. Use it to create silky smooth buttercream, whip it to make the perfect macaron, or bake it by itself. This Meringue Torte Recipe layers baked meringue cookies with fluffy raspberry mousse and sweet apricot filling to create heavenly individual desserts.
(makes about 6 mini tortes)
– 3 egg whites
– 3/4 cups granulated sugar
– pinch salt
– pinch cream of tartar
RASPBERRY MOUSSE INGREDIENTS
– 1 cup heavy whipping cream
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 tablespoons raspberry puree or preserves
STEP BY STEP MERINGUE INSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 200 degree. Prepare sheet pans with parchment paper.
2. Place egg whites and sugar in a heat-proof bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk to combine.
3. Place bowl over a double boiler. Heat egg mixture until warm.
4. Once heated, remove the bowl from the double boiler and fit back onto the electric mixer. Using the whisk attachment, beat egg mixture on high until cool (about 7 minutes).
5. Fit a pastry bag with a medium star tip. Fill the bag with the meringue and pipe swirls onto the parchment. Each swirl should be disk-like and about 2 1/2- 3 inches in diameter.
6. Bake meringues for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. When done, the outsides should be completely dry and crisp, with a chewy center.
STEP BY STEP MOUSSE INSTRUCTIONS
1. Place cream in the bowl of an electric mixer. Turn mixer on high.
2. While mixing, add in the vanilla. Continue until medium peaks form.
3. In a separete bowl, combine the raspberries and a couple tablespoons of the whipped cream.
4. Carefully fold in the raspberry mixture into the rest of the cream
STEP BY STEP ASSEMBLY OF RASPBERRY MERINGUE TORTES:
1. Match 3 meringue disks that are similar in size to create your individual tortes.
2. Place raspberry mousse in a pastry bag fitted with a medium round top. Pipe a ring of mousse on the meringue.
3. Spoon a teaspoon of apricot preserves into the middle of the mousse ring.
4. Top with another meringue and repeat. Place third meringue on top.