19 Apr

Ice Cream Shoppe Birthday Party Theme for Pottery Barn Kids {+ Free Printables!}

vintage ice cream shoppe party

Yesterday Pottery Barn Kids released the Ice Cream Shoppe Birthday Party that I styled for them last month, so I’m super excited to finally share it with you today! Ice cream is one of those things that can just instantly make people happy – speaking from personal experience at least ;) – so it’s the perfect inspiration for a party theme… my head was kind of spinning with all of the creative possibilities! The final result has a bit of retro sweet shoppe style + a rainbow sherbet inspired palette with metallic gold accents.

You can find all of the “how to” details and recipes from this ice cream party over on the Pottery Barn Kids website, and I hope you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how easy everything is to put together! If you have questions on anything though, I’d be happy to answer them here. And for the cherry on top…  lots of FREE PRINTABLES! You can view and download them over at PBK as well. You can also download the whipped cream label and patterned papers right here. ENJOY!

PARTY HIGHLIGHTS to look out for:

– “Ice Cream Cone” place settings fashioned from plates + folded napkins
– Mini Cereal Treat “Ice Cream Cones”
– Glittered Whipped Cream Cans
– Yarn ball Ice Cream Cone Garland with gumball “cherries” on top
– Decorated Sugar Cone Party Hats/Headbands

ice cream party plate

ice cream party diy ideas

hwtm free printables for an ice cream party

ice cream sundae bar

ice cream marshmallows

pink sherbet punch

ice cream cone balloons

gold tassel garland

ice cream party hat kids craft

ice cream party favor bags

ice cream cone craft

ice cream treats

free hwtm ice cream party printables for pottery barn kids

Here’s how the party looks over on  the Pottery Barn Kids website:

ice cream birthday party ideas

You can also browse the full photo gallery with more images here:

ice cream shoppe party album

VENDOR CREDITS:

– Party Styling and Graphic Design: Jennifer Sbranti of Hostess with the Mostess
– Mini Wooden Ice Cream Scoops and Spoons : Sucre Shop
– Mini Cupcakes used in Sugar Cones: Susie Cakes
– Gold Chevron Paper: Paper Source
– Acrylic Ice Cream Cone Stands: Amazon
– Ice Cream Erasers: Amazon
– Ice Cream Lip Gloss: Amazon
– Watercolor Paper Ice Cream Bowls: Target
– Pink Acrylic Cups: Party City

65Comments

SusanB SAYS:

This is so adorable! I saw it on Pottery Barn Kids and was immediately enthralled…and so was my 10 year old son who now wants an ice cream shoppe birthday party! LOL!! So, I’m using blue and green as my colors, but I’m stuck on the punch. Any ideas? Green lime sherbet with lemonade? That might be a bit mouth-puckering. :) Anything else? Thank you for all your great ideas!

Reply April 29, 2013 at 11:47 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Susan –
What about Lime Sherbert Punch with ginger ale & pineapple juice? Here’s a recipe from Paula Deen that looks good – and I don’t think you really need the cherry or lemon/lime garnishes if you just want to keep everything simple & green :) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/lime-sherbet-punch-recipe/index.html

You could even just stick with just lemon-lime soda and lime sherbert! Here’s a link to that “recipe” which is very well reviewed. Sometimes simple things can be plenty tasty :) http://www.food.com/recipe/lime-sherbet-7-up-punch-81431

Good luck with the party!

April 29, 2013 at 12:10 pm

alyssa SAYS:

Thanks Susan! How fun! I love the lime sherbet idea, sometimes it’s all about finding a great recipe to make it work! Here’s a great looking one from Paula Deen: http://drinkedin.net/component/content/article/39-recipes/recipes/159306-lime-sherbet-punch.html! Good luck and have fun :)

April 29, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Carla SAYS:

I love everything about this! I’m not able to print the whipped cream cards. Is that something that you have to customize or am I just missing it? I’ve clicked on the links on this site as well as PBK. No luck…

Reply June 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm

alyssa SAYS:

Hi Carla,

I don’t see it either, that’s strange! Head on over to our Etsy shop here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HWTM?ref=seller_info and send us a message. Our team member Renee will be happy to help you out ;) Thanks for checking out our printables!

June 10, 2013 at 9:09 am

Jackie SAYS:

Jen, do you have this printable set in color that are suitable for boys and girls?

Reply June 12, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Melissa Hutton SAYS:

Too cute, thank you for sharing and the free printables. Would you happen to know where I can get that acrylic looking stand that holds the cupcake cones?

Reply June 13, 2013 at 8:12 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Yep! I bought them on Amazon – here’s the link! :)

June 13, 2013 at 9:29 am

Carla SAYS:

I hate to sound completely dense but for the life of me I can not figure out how to make the cones for the balloons. I have the patterned paper printed on standard 8.5 x 11 paper and every way I try to fold or cut is resulting in something really unattractive. I’m just not getting it! Can you help?

Reply July 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm

alyssa SAYS:

Hi Carla,

You can try cutting a strip off the top so the sheet is more square, roll it tight (so the hole at the bottom is just large enough to fit a string through), then tape it on the inside to keep it tight. I hope that helped!

September 5, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Sara B SAYS:

Love this party! My daughter wants an ice cream party in September! I pulled up your adorable printables and tried to print them but every one of the came out black. I tried printing another printable from a different site and that one printed fine. Not sure if your aware of this or not but thought you should know. I would love to use your printables if I can get them to print correctly. Thanks

Reply August 30, 2013 at 8:04 am

alyssa SAYS:

Hi Sara, thanks so much! You directly downloaded the pdf from the Pottery Barn Kids website and tried to print, correct? We only have a couple of the additional free printables in this post, did those work okay for you. If they both don’t print correctly, I recommend checking your printer notifications and ink levels. Let me know how that works!

September 5, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Kari @ the Sweetest Memory SAYS:

Absolutely darling party! I am thinking of doing an ice cream themed party for my daughter, and your printables will be perfect! My favorite decorations are the large ice cream cone paper balls with a cherry on top. So creative. Thank you so much for sharing! Kari

Reply February 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm