19 Apr

Ice Cream Shoppe Birthday Party Theme for Pottery Barn Kids {+ Free Printables!}

vintage ice cream shoppe party

Yesterday Pottery Barn Kids released the Ice Cream Shoppe Birthday Party that I styled for them last month, so I’m super excited to finally share it with you today! Ice cream is one of those things that can just instantly make people happy – speaking from personal experience at least ;) – so it’s the perfect inspiration for a party theme… my head was kind of spinning with all of the creative possibilities! The final result has a bit of retro sweet shoppe style + a rainbow sherbet inspired palette with metallic gold accents.

You can find all of the “how to” details and recipes from this ice cream party over on the Pottery Barn Kids website, and I hope you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how easy everything is to put together! If you have questions on anything though, I’d be happy to answer them here. And for the cherry on top…  lots of FREE PRINTABLES! You can view and download them over at PBK as well. You can also download the whipped cream label and patterned papers right here. (Matching invitation and other custom items are available in the HWTM Shop.) ENJOY!

PARTY HIGHLIGHTS to look out for:

– “Ice Cream Cone” place settings fashioned from plates + folded napkins
– Mini Cereal Treat “Ice Cream Cones”
– Glittered Whipped Cream Cans
– Yarn ball Ice Cream Cone Garland with gumball “cherries” on top
– Decorated Sugar Cone Party Hats/Headbands

ice cream party plate

ice cream party diy ideas

hwtm free printables for an ice cream party

ice cream sundae bar

ice cream marshmallows

pink sherbet punch

ice cream cone balloons

gold tassel garland

ice cream party hat kids craft

ice cream party favor bags

ice cream cone craft

ice cream treats

free hwtm ice cream party printables for pottery barn kids

Here’s how the party looks over on  the Pottery Barn Kids website:

ice cream birthday party ideas

You can also browse the full photo gallery with more images here:

ice cream shoppe party album

And if you’d like matching invitations or prefer to order PERSONALIZED & PRINTED ice cream party collection – those are both available in our Hostess Ink shop!

ice cream shoppe birthday party printables collection on hostess ink

vintage ice cream shoppe invitation

– Styling and Design: Jennifer Sbranti for Hostess with the Mostess
– Printables: Hostess with the Mostess
– Mini Wooden Ice Cream Scoops and Spoons : Sucre Shop
– Mini Cupcakes used in Sugar Cones: Susie Cakes
– Gold Chevron Paper: Paper Source
– Acrylic Ice Cream Cone Stands: Amazon
– Ice Cream Erasers: Amazon
– Ice Cream Lip Gloss: Amazon
– Watercolor Paper Ice Cream Bowls: Target
– Pink Acrylic Cups: Party City

Carla SAYS:

I love everything about this! I’m not able to print the whipped cream cards. Is that something that you have to customize or am I just missing it? I’ve clicked on the links on this site as well as PBK. No luck…

Reply June 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm

alyssa SAYS:

Hi Carla,

I don’t see it either, that’s strange! Head on over to our Etsy shop here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HWTM?ref=seller_info and send us a message. Our team member Renee will be happy to help you out ;) Thanks for checking out our printables!

June 10, 2013 at 9:09 am

Jackie SAYS:

Jen, do you have this printable set in color that are suitable for boys and girls?

Reply June 12, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Melissa Hutton SAYS:

Too cute, thank you for sharing and the free printables. Would you happen to know where I can get that acrylic looking stand that holds the cupcake cones?

Reply June 13, 2013 at 8:12 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Yep! I bought them on Amazon – here’s the link! :)

June 13, 2013 at 9:29 am

Carla SAYS:

I hate to sound completely dense but for the life of me I can not figure out how to make the cones for the balloons. I have the patterned paper printed on standard 8.5 x 11 paper and every way I try to fold or cut is resulting in something really unattractive. I’m just not getting it! Can you help?

Reply July 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm

alyssa SAYS:

Hi Carla,

You can try cutting a strip off the top so the sheet is more square, roll it tight (so the hole at the bottom is just large enough to fit a string through), then tape it on the inside to keep it tight. I hope that helped!

September 5, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Sara B SAYS:

Love this party! My daughter wants an ice cream party in September! I pulled up your adorable printables and tried to print them but every one of the came out black. I tried printing another printable from a different site and that one printed fine. Not sure if your aware of this or not but thought you should know. I would love to use your printables if I can get them to print correctly. Thanks

Reply August 30, 2013 at 8:04 am

alyssa SAYS:

Hi Sara, thanks so much! You directly downloaded the pdf from the Pottery Barn Kids website and tried to print, correct? We only have a couple of the additional free printables in this post, did those work okay for you. If they both don’t print correctly, I recommend checking your printer notifications and ink levels. Let me know how that works!

September 5, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Kari @ the Sweetest Memory SAYS:

Absolutely darling party! I am thinking of doing an ice cream themed party for my daughter, and your printables will be perfect! My favorite decorations are the large ice cream cone paper balls with a cherry on top. So creative. Thank you so much for sharing! Kari

Reply February 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm

sarah cardenas SAYS:

Would me mind sharing what fonts you used for the topping cards? I’m throwing this party for my daughter in a couple weeks and wanted to customize the tent cards with some different toppings. Thanks!

Reply April 14, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Leah SAYS:

Im wondering where you got the big gold frame from? Thanks

Reply September 8, 2014 at 11:15 am

Emily SAYS:

Where did you get the big round paper lantern things?

Reply December 28, 2014 at 9:20 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Emily –
I bought those at Michaels and they’re part of the Martha Stewart Crafts line. I think they were called “Accordion Paper Lanterns”. Hope that helps! :)

January 2, 2015 at 8:55 am

Samantha SAYS:

This is the theme for my daughter’s party this year and I love this! Quick question though. Where in the world did you get the cones for the ice cream cone garland. I can’t find them anywhere?

Reply January 8, 2015 at 6:50 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Samantha –

Those are actually just standard “cake cones” from my grocery store… it’s been a while since this party, but I’m pretty sure I just purchased the generic Safeway brand box. (My grocery store is VONS, which is owned by Safeway so they carry the same generic brand.) And then I customized them with the free printable wraps we created, which are available for download on the PBK site. Hope that helps… good luck! :)

January 9, 2015 at 12:24 pm

michelle SAYS:

Love this party! The crispy treat icecream are so creative and I love all the icecream decorations!

Reply March 4, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Elizabeth SAYS:

Can you tell me what fonts were used to write Ice Cream? Thanks so much!

Reply September 5, 2015 at 9:38 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Elizabeth –
The script font is called Janda Elegant Handwriting and the blockier font is called 1873 Winchester. Hope that helps!:)

September 16, 2015 at 5:22 am