Melissa Johnson here from Best Friends For Frosting, a website about all things dessert. Since Saint Patrick’s Day is just a rainbow away, I made these green Lime Cupcakes to kick off the festivities!
With a shimmery yellow gumball on top, these cupcakes are sure to make you feel like a leprechaun with pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!
Lime Cupcakes Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
2. In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down the sides of the bowl before each addition. Beat until ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat.
3. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
4. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter.
Lime Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter at room temperature
- Juice from 2 fresh limes
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
1. Mix butter until light and fluffy for approximately 2 minutes on medium speed.
2. Squeeze fresh juice from 2 limes and add it to the butter. Then, add the vanilla extract.
3. Gradually add in your powdered sugar.
4. Once incorporated, mix on medium speed until your frosting is light and fluffy.
TIP: The lime frosting only adds a medium hint of lime. I used the juice from 2 limes for flavoring. If you would like additional flavoring, continue to add more lime juice and taste as you go.
Add frosting to a piping bag with Ateco piping tip #846. In a circular motion, gently swirl a generous amount of frosting on top. Add a shimmery yellow gumball on top of each cupcake, and sprinkle a small amount of emerald green sugar sprinkles on top.