Need a special treat that can be packaged up for a delectable Christmas gift? We have TWO to share… If you are looking for a quick last minute recipe try out the Peanut Butter Fudge, and if you’re on a mission to impress (with culinary genius) these Sea Salt Caramels will have everyone wanting you as their Secret Santa ;)
P.S. Add a layer of chocolate fudge for peanut-buttery-chocolatey-goodness & use the amazing caramel in liquid form for a special layer in pies or on your homemade brittle!
SEA SALT CARAMELS RECIPE
recipe via Karo | (yields 2 pounds)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes (approximately)
Chill Time: (cool time) 1 hour
– 1 1/2 cups Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
– 2 cups heavy OR whipping cream, divided
– 1 cup milk
– 2 cups sugar
– 1/4 teaspoon Fine Grind Sea Salt
– 1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
– 1/2 teaspoon Coarse Grind Sea Salt
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
1. Line an 8 or 9-inch square pan with foil (leave a 1-inch overhang on 2 sides) and spray with cooking spray. (Wax parchment paper would work great too!)
2. Combine corn syrup, 1 cup cream, milk, sugar and salt in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking (at a low boil), stirring occasionally until temperature on candy thermometer reaches 234°F or small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a soft ball which flattens on removal. This will take about 40 minutes.
4. Gradually add remaining 1 cup cream in a thin steady stream, stirring constantly. Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until temperature on candy thermometer reaches 244°F or small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a firm ball which does not flatten on removal. This will take about 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. (NOTE: Do NOT scrape side of saucepan.) Place on wire rack and cool 1 hour.
6. Sprinkle top evenly with sea salt.
We recommend placing on a tray instead of stacking the caramels because as we found out they all stick together ;)
PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE
recipe via Karo | (yields 64 pieces)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Chill Time: 2 hours
– 1/4 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
– 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
– 1 jar (18 ounces) creamy peanut butter (2 cups)
– 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
– 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
1. Combine corn syrup and butter in 2-quart saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter melts.
2. Remove from heat; stir in peanut butter. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
3. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth with wooden spoon.
4. Spread in a greased 8-inch square baking pan. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm. Cut into 1-inch squares.