DIY elements always add such a great personal touch to any party! Inspired by contemporary chandeliers, Angie of Angi & Co created bright pink and orange party elements and cool DIY paper chandeliers for a Modern Pink & Orange Dol to celebrate little Kiera’s milestone first birthday. For additional meaningful & homemade decor ideas from Angie, check out Lila’s Dol Birthday too!
PARTY HIGHLIGHTS to look out for….
PARTY DETAILS, as told by Angie…
For Keira’s 1st birthday party, the inspiration started with chandeliers, specifically Verner Panton’s Fun Pendant. To incorporate a festive feel to the party decor, we incorporated a bright pink and orange color scheme against the white walls and gray linens accents.
– Paper Chandeliers: I decided to make diy chandeliers from either vellum or crepe streamer paper that hung above each table. They were made using embroidery hoops, double stick tape, crepe paper or vellum and jump rings. In total, we had about 12 displayed. It was really fun making these. There were so many combination possibilities with this project.
– Korean Dolsang: On the dolsang/main table, Korean elements were incorporated while trying to keep a clean, modern aesthetic. The centerpiece of our dolsang was Keira’a birthday cake which Ruth from Brooklyn Cake hand painted the chandelier from the party invite. We used sliced rainbow dduk (rice cakes), & dried painted figs to represent the tradition of having stacked fruit on the table, and sugar cookies to represent sweets/candies. Next to the modern table, we had a smaller round table which displayed the go-ims, a Korean pouch and shoes. I followed the same DIY process for the go-ims as with my older daughter’s but instead, used M&M’s this time since there is a wider color range.
– Doljabi Ceremony: The highlight of the Korean 1st birthday is the doljabi, a traditional event where items are laid out before the baby. Whatever she grabs will foretell her future. We invited guests to enter doljabi raffle to guess what she would pick. She ended up grabbing the paintbrush (art & design) then the microphone (singer/entertainer).
– Keira’s Smile Booth: My good friends Sue and Susan spent hours the night before helping me tape strips of crepe paper to create a DIY photobooth backdrop to match the chandeliers. We posted the Fuji instax photos on the wall as they developed and guests could take them home on their way out.
– Candy Bar: Guests were also invited to a sweets bar filled with candies, Meli & Angi button cookies, cake pops and macarons. I wanted this to be a very colorful display so most of the candies were in tones of pink and orange.
VENDOR CREDITS & RESOURCES:
– Event Design: Angi & Co
– Chandelier & Material Supplies: Michaels, AC Moore, Create For Less
– Catering: Jingogae
– Cookies: Meli & Angi
– Baked Goods: Brooklyn Cake
– Photographer: Chris Son
– Candies: Oh Nuts! & Economy Candy