Inspired by vintage movie posters, Gretchen of Three Little Monkeys Studio styled this fabulous Zombie Party – complete with FREE printables and a “Monster Munch” party snack recipe to share with everyone! From deliciously ghoulish sugar cookies to super creative zombie mousse, graveyard stones and more, Gretchen definitely breathed new life into this theme of the living dead. ;)
PARTY HIGHLIGHTS to look out for…
– “I heart Zombies” party printables (free download after the jump!)
– Creepy eyeball cake pops stabbed with forks
– Vintage zombie movie posters
– “Living Dead Cupcakes” with tombstone toppers and mounds of “dirt”
– Zombie Monster Munch party snack recipe!
PARTY DETAILS, as told by Gretchen…
When I designed this table, I wanted to do something really different and chose zombies as my theme. Keeping in mind that the party was for both adults and kids, I didn’t want it to be too scary or bloody. Settling on vintage zombie movies as my focal point, I designed the printables using vintage images and a color palette of greens, red and amber.
My budget for this party was $150, and though I used a professional baker and fondant artist for help (icing and I don’t get along), I managed to stay just under budget by re-purposing items from around the house, shopping at the dollar store and doing homemade whenever possible.
Decorations came mostly from Dollar Tree, while cake stands, serving dishes, antiques and some Halloween decorations came from my own collection (in fact, most of my black serving pieces were picked up at Hobby Lobby last year after Halloween when they were marked down 85% off). I printed off vintage zombie movie posters and framed them in dollar store frames to create a spooky back drop that anchored the zombie theme without being too scary for the little ones.
For the spooky edibles, I served zombie cookies and eyeball cake pops by the fabulous Stacey of Treats 4 Ta-Tas (she donates 100% of money earned to Breast Cancer Research), homemade Living Dead Cupcakes (chocolate cherry cupcakes) with edible headstone toppers by Sugar & Stripes Co., homemade Zombie Mousse (Chocolate and Butterscotch Crunch Parfaits), homemade Monster Munch (recipe follows), and Zombie Juice (lime soda) to drink.
The kids had a blast and we had a great time talking about Halloween, zombies, and old movies!
ZOMBIE MONSTER MUNCH
– 1/2 package of Almond Bark
– 12 cups of popped popcorn (or 2 microwave bags, popped), kernels removed
– 1 cup pretzel M&Ms
– 1 cup peanut butter M&Ms
– 1 cup peanuts
– 1 cup pretzels, broken into small pieces
STEP BY STEP DIRECTIONS:
1. Line baking sheets, counter or any large surface with parchment paper.
2. Spread popcorn in one layer over the parchment paper, then sprinkle candy, nuts and pretzel pieces randomly over the popcorn.
3. Melt Almond Bark in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until smooth.
4. Drizzle melted Almond Bark all over the popcorn mixture and allow to cool and set for 30 minutes.
5. Break the popcorn into chunks and enjoy!
FREE PARTY PRINTABLES: