06 Oct

Retro Rainbow Baby Shower {Part 1 – Table & Decor}

Retro Rainbow Baby Shower {Part 1   Table & Decor}

So….. I’m extra excited to share this post because it’s been LONG time coming! This is a theme I designed back in early May – a “Retro Rainbow Baby Shower” with a fun mix of sunshine, rainbows, and throwback inspired elements like retro candy, color blocked gold chargers and DIY sequin-embellished disco baby roller skates, which now double as one of my favorite pieces of office “decor.” ;)

Retro Rainbow Baby Shower {Part 1   Table & Decor}

Pretty much the very next minute after this project wrapped though… life, work, and [insert all of the above] happened. There just always seemed to be something more pressing to tend to (as is often the case when it comes to “your own” projects… I’m sure many of my fellow creatives can relate), so Retro Rainbow sat patiently in a folder on my Mac, just waiting to one day see the light of day again.

Well… TODAY is that day – so here we go! If you like what you see, you can find the printables right here, and please stay tuned for Part 2 (dessert table & treats).

PARTY HIGHLIGHTS TO LOOK OUT FOR:

– Quilt-batting “cloud” centerpiece + rainbow button “rain drops”
– A (super easy) alternate centerpiece idea made from printable paper clouds
– Color-blocked chargers and glasses (made with painter’s tape & spray paint)
– Party Favors: Retro candy packaged in mini glittered baby bottles with printable flags
– Chair backs decorated with ribbon & glittery hearts (+ a cloud for mom-to-be’s chair!)

PARTY DETAILS:

I wanted the vibe of this Retro Rainbow Baby Shower to be playful and happy… something that would put both mom-to-be and her guests in a “shiny happy” mood the minute they arrived! Bright colors, metallic gold, glitter and fluffy white clouds took center stage. The printable paper details played a huge part in bringing this theme to life – through elements like framed prints, party flags, and bold patterned papers used as napkin rings and dessert tray liners.

I hope this theme makes you happy too! If you know a mom-to-be that would love to be showered with sunshine and rainbows, the entire printable collection (+ coordinating items like invitations & name banners) can be found right here.

TABLETOP DETAILS:

Centerpiece Design A:
– “Bubble” vase (from HomeGoods) spray painted gold & decorated with large candy dots
– DIY clouds made from quilt batting and felt
– “Raindrop” button strands made from buttons, fishing line, and mini glue dots
– Smaller bud vase (from Ikea) spray painted gold & white
– Framed prints, glittered pacifiers, & extra quilt batting around the base

Centerpiece design B:
– Printable “You Are My Sunshine, Baby” paper clouds attached to wooden dowels
– Dowels inserted into foam filled vase & covered with quilt batting
– Glittered acrylic pacifiers around the base

Place Settings:
– Color blocked acrylic charger plates
– “Double dipped” (Dollar Tree glasses spray painted with white and gold)
– Utensils adorned with glittered mini wooden hearts
– Retro Orange Cream Soda Bottles + stripey straws embellished buttons
– Patterned paper “napkin rings”
– A special glittered initial used to distinguish mom-to-be’s place setting

Etc:
– Inexpensive sheet from Target used as “table cloth”
– Chairs decorated with bands of ribbon + glittered hearts
– Mom-to-be’s chair had a special cloud + glittered heart chair back design!

PARTY DECOR DETAILS:
– Wooden shadow boxes (from Michaels) painted two-tone with craft paint
– Wooden letters (from Michaels) spelling BABY painted two-tone with craft paint
– Vases decorated with large Candy Buttons
– Glittered acrylic pacifiers
– Framed Prints embellished with buttons and glittered hearts
– Onesies embellished with ribbon, buttons, glittered hearts, & printable paper details

DIAPER CAKE:
This diaper cake was super easy! Two wooden shadow boxes painted two-tone with craft paint were used for the main “structure” of the diaper cake. The largest box was filled with diapers and then another layer was added around the outside. The smaller box sat on top of the larger one & was filled with more rolled diapers. The cake was decorated with rick rack and sequin ribbon + fabric flowers & buttons.

Diaper Cake Topper:
These “disco baby roller skates” were fashioned from inexpensive baby shoes from Target (I just bought the cheapest ones I could find) + gold spray paint & sequins. Two sets of wooden craft wheels were also spray painted gold and embellished with buttons, then hot glued to the bottom of the shoes. For the finishing touch – a little printable “This is how I Roll” batter was attached to the shoes with wooden dowel!

VENDOR CREDITS & RESOURCES:

– Graphic Design / Party Printables: Jenn Sbranti / HWTM (Available on Hostess Ink)
– Theme Design, Styling & Photography: Hostess with the Mostess
– Candy Buttons & Cosmic Rocks used in favors: Candy Warehouse

19Comments

Amanda De Santis SAYS:

Absolutely love it Jenn! Love the colours mixed up with the gold and the perfect little details that bring it all together. and the printable signage is just awesome too! love love love it x

Reply October 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Raqelle D. Wallace SAYS:

This has to be one of the cutest baby showers I've seen!

Reply October 6, 2012 at 10:24 pm

tonyablackstone-coleman SAYS:

Those clouds with button raindrops are GENIUS! Love this & the printables are FABULOUS!

Reply October 6, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Dina - Deliciously Darling Events SAYS:

Complete and total Perfection Jenn!!! I love this theme and the clouds + raindrops are totally amazing. I love love love the diagonal shades of gold and the baby roller skates seriously just blew my mind. Love it.

Reply October 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Beatriz SAYS:

Everything is so cleverly matched. Wow, so many details. Above all, I loved the sayings which are so good spirited. Congratulations. I was totally inspired by these and I will check the shop.

Reply October 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm

mariah @ Giggles Galore SAYS:

This is so cheerful and such a unique twist on the theme. I love all the handmade details!

Reply October 7, 2012 at 8:49 am

Tori SAYS:

Love the colors …. it’s darling Jenn! The cloud is GENIUS!

Reply October 7, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Nicole - Million Dollar $mile Celebrations SAYS:

Jenn,
I am loving all the fresh ideas and creative (& couture) touches on all the baby classics! The roller skate has to be my absolute favorite! Thanks for continuing to inspire!
Nicole

Reply October 8, 2012 at 12:30 am

Michelle - I DO invitations by michelle SAYS:

Yay! I absolutely loved the sneak peek awhile back and cannot get over all the fab details :) LOVE LOVE LOVE. Seriously amazing.

Reply October 8, 2012 at 4:22 am

Sara : Confetti Sunshine SAYS:

So adorable! I love the colors, color blocking & glitter!!!

Reply October 8, 2012 at 11:12 am

Susan SAYS:

where’d you get the rollerblades???

Reply April 16, 2013 at 8:57 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Susan -
I made the baby rollerskates using inexpensive baby shoes (from Target) and wooden wheels (wood craft aisle at Michaels). Everything was spray painted gold, then embellished with sequins and buttons. :)

April 16, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Susan SAYS:

You’re so creative! I contacted the lady on etsy so I can purchase the printables, but i asked her if she can change the blue to a purplish color, and add more pink. I feel like this shower looks to boyish? or no?

Reply April 17, 2013 at 7:38 am

mayra SAYS:

can you please tell me how to do the cloud centerpiece. i’ve been trying to figure it out but i cant make it stay on the stick for the life of me. PLEASE please help me you would make my month :)

Reply June 10, 2013 at 9:08 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Mayra –
I’m so sorry for not seeing your comment earlier! Also sorry the centerpiece project is being a pain. The thing we did to make the cloud stay up was to actually make 2 separate horizontal “sides” to the cloud and ipece them together, with a backing of sturdy felt and dowel rods hidden inside.

So, for each side of the cloud, the quilt batting was attached to a piece of stiff felt as a “backing” to help hold it together and give it a foundation. Once both sides are done, just glue the dowel rod to one of the backings, then stick the felt-backed sides of each “cloud side” together to form the whole cloud, with the supportive felt backings and the top of the dowel rod hidden inside. You can also just keep the clouds “single sided” and simply use another piece of felt to hide the wooden dowel on the “back”.

Also, I actually also criss-crossed a couple pieces of extra wooden dowel rods on one side of the cloud (and hot glued them there) for further support since I just used felt as my backing, but if you used something sturdier than felt – like chipboard or cardboard, you might be able to skip that step all together. I was kind figuring it out as I went at the time.

Hope that helps and makes sense – this is kind of one of those things that sounds more complicated written out than it felt to put together. ;)

June 20, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Spener Samaroo SAYS:

Very creative! I love the colours and all the jars with the lollies.

Reply June 12, 2013 at 12:01 am

DSA SAYS:

what size of wooden dowels did u use for the centerpiece?

Reply January 3, 2014 at 11:12 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi DSA – I don’t remember the exact size, but I purchased the tall dowels from Michaels (which are sold individually), and believe they are around 36″. The thickness was pretty close to the standard 12″ dowel thickness that comes sold in craft packs – maybe just slightly thicker. Hope that helps a little… I’m sorry I don’t have the exact dimensions for you!

January 4, 2014 at 11:20 am