Hi there! It’s Amber here from Amber Lay Events! Some of you may know me from my days as Editorial & Styling Assistant at HWTM. Since then I have been doing my coordinating and floral design business full time, and I am so excited to be the newest contributor on board for Hostess with the Mostess!
CANDLESTICKS & PEONIES
This week I wanted to share a DIY Wedding centerpiece idea that is not only beautiful, but is very cost effective! Peonies are one of the most popular wedding flowers, and their season is ending quickly so make sure to try this out within the next few weeks! (Of course you can always swap them out for another favorite flower too.) Also, I wanted to thank Camryn Clair for shooting this tutorial!
CANDLE STICKS & PEONIES CENTERPIECE – A DIY TUTORIAL
- 6 Candle Sticks (the kind that hold tapers)
- Floral Foam Soaked in Water
- Vase of Water
- Floral Knife
- Floral Clippers
- 6 Stems of peonies (or any flower with a big blossom and thin stem)
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
1. As soon as you get your peonies home from the market give them a quick cut with either your floral knife or clippers at a 45 degree angle and then place them directly into your vase filled with room temperature water. If your flowers came with plant food go ahead add that to the water and give it a quick stir before inserting the flowers.
2. Once your floral foam is completely soaked with water cut pieces to fit the candlestick holes using your floral knife and place one piece of foam inside of each candle stick.
3. Now cut each peony stem to the height of the candle stick hole and insert it right into the foam. Again, make sure your stem is cut at a 45 degree angle.
4. Arrange your candle sticks in a line down your table alternating the various heights or cluster them in the center if you have a round table. You’re done! Enjoy your creation!
- Make sure your candle sticks are not clear glass or the floral foam will show through.
- Assemble your centerpieces no more than 1 day prior to your event. Since the candle sticks are shallow there is not a whole a lot of water soaked foam for the flowers to drink from. The closer to the event time that these are made the fresher they will be.
- Until you are ready to assemble leave your flowers in the vase filled with water.
- By: Amber Lay
- Photography By: Camryn Clair
- 6 Candle Sticks: Any Local home goods store or IKEA
- Floral Foam: Local Floral Supply Store or Michael’s
- Vase: Any Local Home Goods Store or Target
- Floral Knife: Local Floral Supply Store
- Floral Clippers: Local Floral Supply Store or Lowe’s
- 6 Stems of Peonies: Local Floral Supply Store or Grocery Store