If the dads in your family are anything like the dads in mine… there is absolutely nothing that a little duct tape can’t fix! If you have one of these MacGyvers in your life, you know exactly what I’m talking about! It’s as if that strong silver tape has magical powers. So grab your scissors, swipe a roll of duct tape from the garage and let’s get started! This Father’s Day, let’s crown our favorite DIY Dads as The King of Duct Tape!
DUCT TAPE TREAT “CROWNS”
We’re dressing up Dad’s favorite treats with a shiny silver crown made out of, yep you guessed it, duct tape! Not only is this an inexpensive craft (you probably already have all of the supplies on hand) but its simple enough to get the kiddos involved and can be done at the last minute… say, late Saturday night when you realize that Father’s Day is tomorrow!
Whether it’s Dad’s favorite cupcake made from scratch, a store-bought treat that needs a little pizzazz, or a simple bowl of pretzels to go with his favorite beer, this easy DIY has you covered! Literally. Covered in duct tape! ;)
KING OF DUCT TAPE WRAPPERS – Father’s Day Ideas (DIY Tutorial)
– Duct Tape
– Double Sided Tape
– 2” Circle Punch (optional)
– King of Duct Tape FREE Printables
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Tear a piece of duct tape long enough to fit around your object (cupcake, bowl, can, etc) plus a little extra length.
TIP: I found it easiest to place this strip of tape, sticky side down, onto a piece of fabric. This allowed me to do the next several steps without dealing with the super sticky side. Just test your surface/fabric first with a small piece of tape, to make sure the tape will peel off cleanly without damaging your surface.
2. Tear a 2nd piece of tape the same length. Attach it to strip #1, slightly overlapping them.
3. Tear a 3rd piece of tape the same length. This strip will go on the back of strip #1. Sticky side to sticky side. We’re trying to contain the sticky.
4. Tear a 4th piece of tape. This strip will go on the back of strip #2. You should now have one a long strip of duct tape that is two rows tall. It’s no longer sticky and is shiny on both sides. Make sense? We don’t want the sticky getting on any of our treats or bowls.
TIP: Duct tape is strong, hence why Dad loves it so much. It can be a little frustrating when dealing with all of the sticky. If younger kids want to help, this is probably the best time to get them actively involved. Now that we’re down to cutting and wrapping.
5. Cut small triangles out of the top edge. Cut them as big or as little as you like. Don’t worry if they are not all the same size, the variance adds to the charm. I did larger triangle cutouts for the bowls and smaller triangles for cupcakes.
6. Wrap duct tape around your object (cupcake, bowl, can, etc) to see how it fits. Trim length to meet nicely in the back, so that the crown points line up right. Trim the height. If the wrapper is too tall, trim a little from the bottom. If it is too short, add more strips of tape to the bottom.
TIP: For the cupcake, I used two rows of tape, with a little trimmed off the bottom. The beer can was four rows of tape with a little trimmed off the bottom. The ramekin holding the pretzels was exactly 2 rows. The popcorn bowl was exactly 4 rows. Just adjust to the height of your treat, whatever it is.
7. Attach the wrapper in the back, using a small piece of duct tape to hold the two sides together.
8. Using the FREE Printables… print a sheet of “King of Duct Tape” labels. Punch out rounds with a circle cutter or scissors. Attach label to the front of crown, using double sided tape.
Hope you’re able to have some fun with these Father’s Day ideas! ENJOY!