25 Apr

Sports Inspired “Foam #1 Hand” First Birthday Party

Sports Inspired Foam #1 Hand First Birthday Party

Sports themes are always popular for birthday parties, but this particular sports themed first birthday has a clever twist… You know those big foam “#1″ hands that you always see at sporting events? Well, they also look just like what toddlers do when they proudly announce “I’m ONE!”. So… Kate (mom of the birthday boy) decided that this novelty item was the perfect theme inspiration for her little sports fanatic’s big celebration of one!

In addition to the playful ball game inspired menu, I love that each table at this party was equipped with “decorate it yourself” #1 hands and art supplies!

Sports Inspired Foam #1 Hand First Birthday Party

Sports Inspired Foam #1 Hand First Birthday Party

Sports Inspired Foam #1 Hand First Birthday Party

Sports Inspired Foam #1 Hand First Birthday Party

Sports Inspired Foam #1 Hand First Birthday Party

PARTY DETAILS, as told by Kate…

My son’s first birthday was centered around sports and the #1 hand that is so commonly seen at sporting events. Luke loves anything related to balls, sports or games so we thought this theme would be the perfect fit! Each table was equipped with “decorate it yourself” #1 hands and art supplies.

The menu was based on “Take me out to the Ball Game” food: hot dogs , popcorn, cracker jacks, peanuts, pizza, along with custom sports cookies. The colors were orange, baby blue and white. I made the pendant flag  (I measured out the size triangle I wanted and cut them out of colored card stock. Then I punched a hole in the top two corners of the triangle and strung double faced satin ribbon through the holes.) We held the event in a gymnasium to complete the sports feel. And we even asked all the guests to wear sports attire from their favorite teams!

VENDOR CREDITS:

– Cake: Sweet Cakes Kirkland
– Cookies: Frosting
– Invites: Mr Bean Cakes
– Photographer: Austin Woods Photography
– Rentals: ABC Special Events
– Birthday Hat: Creative Converting

7Comments

Aimee SAYS:

I think is the first time I see a sports party around that theme, brilliant…

Reply April 26, 2012 at 5:37 am

Windy City Novelties SAYS:

Such a cute idea! I’ve always loved those foam fingers!

Reply April 26, 2012 at 8:46 am

alyssa SAYS:

The foam finger really is a whole new take on the standard sports theme party, and it completely fits with a first birthday!

Reply April 26, 2012 at 11:24 am

Dawn Herring SAYS:

Kate,
I really like the custom approach to creating a sports theme and craft for your son’s first birthday along with having attendees wear their favorite team related apparel. Sounds fabulous and fun.

I will be linking your post, Sports Inspired “Foam #1 Hand” First Birthday Party, to my blog, The Birthday Wall, where I share links to inspiring birthday stories and party ideas in association with my e-book, The Birthday Wall: Create a Collage to Celebrate Your Child, a how-to on creating a visual collage to celebrate your child’s birthday, a family tradition I started with my two daughters nine years ago.

Thanks for a peek into your son’s party; love the fun photos and great ideas. :)

Be refreshed,
Dawn Herring
Author of The Birthday Wall: Create a Collage to Celebrate Your Child
Host of #JournalChat Live and Links Edition on Twitter

Reply April 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Kate SAYS:

I love the foam finger ideas – I saw you can buy them at Michael’s – what kind of art supplies did u use to decorate them?

Thanks – Kate

Reply July 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Mandy SAYS:

What did your invitations look like? I am planning on doing this theme for our twin sons 1st party in March! Thank you!!

Reply January 5, 2013 at 10:58 am

Christina SAYS:

Kate,
Can you please tell me where or how you found the template for the foam finger for the sports party. I’ve found a few, but none look like a small child’s finger like yours. Thanks.

Reply January 5, 2013 at 6:11 pm