DIY Tutorial: Sparkling SURPRISE Carrot Cupcakes

In a few days, Peter Cottontail will be hoppin’ down the bunny trail… so we better have some carrots ready for him! But not just any carrots. Really, how many boring carrots can one bunny eat? I say we go for sparkling carrots with a surprise inside!

Hi, it’s Carrie Sellman from Half Baked, the cake blog for sweet inspiration. I’m happy to be back at HWTM today, sharing a different kind of carrot recipe – just in time for EASTER! Sure to make your little egg-hunters squeal with delight, these carrots are actually cupcakes!! Cake batter is baked inside an ice cream cone, topped with icing and then coated in orange candy and oodles of sprinkles. Edible grass provides the finishing touch on top. Just look inside!

by Carrie Sellman
makes 12 cupcakes

– Ice Cream Cones (12)
– Chocolate Cake Batter (made from mix or from scratch)
– Buttercream Icing (store bought or homemade)
– Orange Candy Melts (2 packs)
– Orange Sprinkles (2 jars)
– Green Edible Candy Grass

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place an oven-safe wire rack on top. Stand ice cream cones upright in slots of wire rack. Cones must fit snuggly or they will fall over when baking. Some batter may leak out the bottom of cone while baking (but that’s why we’re lining our baking sheet with parchment).

carrot shaped cupcakes made with sugar cones

2. Fill each cone 2/3 of the way full with cake batter. Bake approximately 15 minutes at 350 degrees, until toothpick comes out almost clean. Let cool completely.

carrot shaped cupcakes made with sugar cones

3. Top each cone with a small mound of icing. Return to wire tray and place in freezer for 15 minutes.

carrot shaped cupcakes made with sugar cones

4. Meanwhile, melt orange candy coating in a tall microwave-safe container. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. Stir. Repeat until candy is completely melted.

orange carrot shaped cupcakes made with sugar cones and sparkles for easter

5. Dip chilled cone into melted orange candy, holding the pointed end of cone with your fingers (icing goes down). Cover as much as possible. Pull up and out of candy coating slowly.

orange dipped carrot shaped cupcakes made with sugar cones and sparkles for easter with oreo dirt

6. Before candy coating hardens, hold cone over a bowl and coat with orange sprinkles. Sprinkle, sprinkle, sprinkle until all areas are covered. Let excess sprinkles fall into bowl so you can reuse.

7. Set cone onto parchment paper, icing side down, until hard. This is a good time to touch up any areas you missed, especially the tip. They firm up quickly and will actually be quite solid once set. Do not worry if they are a little wonky or knobby. Real carrots aren’t perfect either!

8. Using a toothpick, make a small hole in the top center of the carrot. Insert a few pieces of edible grass and trim to desired length.

– Stand carrots upright in a popcorn cone holder. I attached a white wooden fence to my popcorn holder for an extra little touch. Spoon crushed Oreo crumbs around the carrots to look like dirt.
– Bake extra cake batter in a loaf pan. Cover this cake with icing and crushed Oreo crumbs. Use this as your ‘display stand’ by inserting carrots into cake.
– Simply lay carrots on a plate covered with crushed Oreos or extra edible grass.
– Place carrots in individual cellophane bags and tie with a green ribbon to create favor or portable treat.

Happy Easter!

POSTED BY:CarrieCARRIE SELLMAN is the founder and editor of Half Baked (The Cake Blog), an inspirational site featuring everything from cupcakes to cookies, dessert tables, DIYs and recipes.

86 responses to “DIY Tutorial: Sparkling SURPRISE Carrot Cupcakes”

1. mary says:

I think this is the coolest idea ever, thankyou for sharing :).

2. a says:

What is edible grass?

• Jessica says:

Edible grass is sold with the Easter candy at Wal-Mart. It has a flavor a lot like the little wafer cookies & comes in several different colors.

3. Melanie says:

If you still have some leftover girlscout cookies (Thin Mints) available, grind those up instead of oreos! Also consider using sour punch straws (the sour apple flavor) for the ‘faux grass’ effect as well!

4. Toutianoc says:

Merci beaucoup, pour cet excellent tuto!! c’est un rendu très etonnant et amusant !! Thank you very much for this excellent tutorial !! It ‘s a very funny and amazing result !!

5. sarah says:

okay, just how much orange candy melt do you need, because it looks like one cone used up quite a lot of it!!

6. Hayley says:

This is so amazing, what a great idea! It looks fantastic!

7. Laura says:

Great tutorial. So creative. Thanks for sharing.

8. Sue says:

Fantastic idea! love it!

• Mogab says:

Hi Ellen, good to hear from you If you make 1.5 portion of this repice and devide into 2.5 oz dough for one bun I think you will have 3 dozen .Have a great day, and happy baking !

9. de says:

so cute! but what kind of candies are used?

• Thanks De! I used Wilton Orange Candy Melts, available at most craft stores in the cake/candy making section. They are sold in bags and you will need two (to three) bags for this project.

10. Natalie says:

What a creative idea! I loved how you used a cooling rack to bake the cupcakes. This is one carrot garden that would be hard not to dig into. Thanks for sharing!

11. OMG these are the absolute cutest. So creative and colorful. I love it!!!

12. CaityCakes says:

This idea is absolutely adorable! I’m thinking about making it this weekend with carrot cake and cream cheese frosting instead of the chocolate cake.

• Mary says:

How did the carrot cake turn out? This is what I want to try for this Easter. Did the cone and candy interfere with the carrot cake taste? Mary

13. marianasolomon says:

OMG!!! I’m a full time mom and Program Controls Manager. Then there’s the other side of me that’s always been the full time baker. SO, I fell in love with this wonderful dessert idea for my Easter Sunday Dessert Table. Last night after getting the kids in bed and getting through eating quick late dinner I decided that it wasn’t too late to bake. NOT!! It was 12:30am. I must have been delireous to decide to try and make this. But really, I always do this to myself.
    Anyway, I did it! Used my cake recipe from scratch (all organic ingredients) instead of the out of the box cake. And let me telll you I think the only thing that killed me was being able to keep the cones standing straight up. It’s not that easy. Plus you have to try not to break any. After the first 15 min in the oven I removed them and had to have my hubby clean the oven for me; while I stood them up straight again. I had to put them in an additional 10 minutes. No worries ladies, this is because it wasn’t Betty Crocker or anything of the sort. I have a special chocolate recipe of my own and the batter is thicker than if you do a box cake mix. In any case I made 24 beautiful cake cones, and left the icing and coating for EITHER tonight or Saturday. These babies are traveling out of town…

• So glad to hear you tried this Mariana! Your note helps reiterate an important line from Step #1….

Cones must fit snugly (into wire rack) or they will fall over when baking!

This is also why the parchment lined baking sheet is so important. Hope they travel well and that you enjoy!

14. Kelli says:

These are adorable! I would have never thought to make cupcakes in that kind of ice cream cone!

15. If you can’t find a wire rack that will hold your ice cream cones upright tightly…

Bake your cake in a regular pan, crumble once cooled and then mix together with icing (the way you would to create a cake ball / cake pop). Then pack this cake mixture into your ice cream cone. This lets you skip baking the cake in the ice cream cones. Creating more of a carrot cake pop!

16. Jill Graham says:

Simply Genius! Gotta try these :)

17. Jeanne says:

could these be done with orange tinted icing instead of the melts or would it be too runny? I’ve used the candy melts in the past and thought they were so gross tasting, I hate to use them again :(. They sure LOOK fantastic though!!

• Julie P says:

The candy melts are MUCH firmer than regular frosting, but I understand what you mean about the flavor. Just use a good frosting, but be prepared for a mess when eating! ;) maybe leave the bottom-most part unfrosted, for less messy eating. :)

18. Kaitlin says:

Anyone try putting these in “Dirt” cake? Im curious if the cone would get soggy in the pudding or if the chocolate coating would protect it?

19. Doni says:

I love this idea, it is so cute! I don’t have that cake rack and my oven is not the best for baking so I doubt if the cones would work out for me. Thanks for the alternative idea Carrie! Think I might try it with a carrot cake mix and cream cheese frosting. Thanks for the cute tutorial!

20. darleneritchey says:

While this a a very cool idea I was not impressed with making them. As the cones heated up the bottoms (tip) became soft and the cones bent over and fell. they were snug in the cooling rack but the heat made them bend.

I had much better luck just putting a regular cake ball (truffle) in the cone and finishing the directions as listed.