04 Apr

DIY Tutorial: Sparkling SURPRISE Carrot Cupcakes

In a few days, Peter Cottontail will be hoppin’ down the bunny trail… so we better have some carrots ready for him! But not just any carrots. Really, how many boring carrots can one bunny eat? I say we go for sparkling carrots with a surprise inside!

Hi, it’s Carrie Sellman from Half Baked, the cake blog for sweet inspiration. I’m happy to be back at HWTM today, sharing a different kind of carrot recipe – just in time for EASTER! Sure to make your little egg-hunters squeal with delight, these carrots are actually cupcakes!! Cake batter is baked inside an ice cream cone, topped with icing and then coated in orange candy and oodles of sprinkles. Edible grass provides the finishing touch on top. Just look inside!

SPARKLING CARROT CUPCAKES – A DIY TUTORIAL

by Carrie Sellman
makes 12 cupcakes

INGREDIENTS:

– Ice Cream Cones (12)
– Chocolate Cake Batter (made from mix or from scratch)
– Buttercream Icing (store bought or homemade)
– Orange Candy Melts (2 packs)
– Orange Sprinkles (2 jars)
– Green Edible Candy Grass

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place an oven-safe wire rack on top. Stand ice cream cones upright in slots of wire rack. Cones must fit snuggly or they will fall over when baking. Some batter may leak out the bottom of cone while baking (but that’s why we’re lining our baking sheet with parchment).

DIY Tutorial: Sparkling SURPRISE Carrot Cupcakes

2. Fill each cone 2/3 of the way full with cake batter. Bake approximately 15 minutes at 350 degrees, until toothpick comes out almost clean. Let cool completely.

DIY Tutorial: Sparkling SURPRISE Carrot Cupcakes

3. Top each cone with a small mound of icing. Return to wire tray and place in freezer for 15 minutes.

DIY Tutorial: Sparkling SURPRISE Carrot Cupcakes

4. Meanwhile, melt orange candy coating in a tall microwave-safe container. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. Stir. Repeat until candy is completely melted.

DIY Tutorial: Sparkling SURPRISE Carrot Cupcakes

5. Dip chilled cone into melted orange candy, holding the pointed end of cone with your fingers (icing goes down). Cover as much as possible. Pull up and out of candy coating slowly.

DIY Tutorial: Sparkling SURPRISE Carrot Cupcakes

6. Before candy coating hardens, hold cone over a bowl and coat with orange sprinkles. Sprinkle, sprinkle, sprinkle until all areas are covered. Let excess sprinkles fall into bowl so you can reuse.

DIY Tutorial: Sparkling SURPRISE Carrot Cupcakes

7. Set cone onto parchment paper, icing side down, until hard. This is a good time to touch up any areas you missed, especially the tip. They firm up quickly and will actually be quite solid once set. Do not worry if they are a little wonky or knobby. Real carrots aren’t perfect either!

8. Using a toothpick, make a small hole in the top center of the carrot. Insert a few pieces of edible grass and trim to desired length.

ENJOY!

STYLING IDEAS:

– Stand carrots upright in a popcorn cone holder. I attached a white wooden fence to my popcorn holder for an extra little touch. Spoon crushed Oreo crumbs around the carrots to look like dirt.
– Bake extra cake batter in a loaf pan. Cover this cake with icing and crushed Oreo crumbs. Use this as your ‘display stand’ by inserting carrots into cake.
– Simply lay carrots on a plate covered with crushed Oreos or extra edible grass.
– Place carrots in individual cellophane bags and tie with a green ribbon to create favor or portable treat.

Happy Easter!

76Comments

mary SAYS:

I think this is the coolest idea ever, thankyou for sharing :).

Reply April 4, 2012 at 11:05 am

a SAYS:

What is edible grass?

Reply April 4, 2012 at 11:23 am

Jessica SAYS:

Edible grass is sold with the Easter candy at Wal-Mart. It has a flavor a lot like the little wafer cookies & comes in several different colors.

April 4, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Melanie SAYS:

If you still have some leftover girlscout cookies (Thin Mints) available, grind those up instead of oreos! Also consider using sour punch straws (the sour apple flavor) for the ‘faux grass’ effect as well!

Reply April 4, 2012 at 11:23 am

Toutianoc SAYS:

Merci beaucoup, pour cet excellent tuto!! c’est un rendu très etonnant et amusant !! Thank you very much for this excellent tutorial !! It ‘s a very funny and amazing result !!

Reply April 4, 2012 at 11:28 am

sarah SAYS:

okay, just how much orange candy melt do you need, because it looks like one cone used up quite a lot of it!!

Reply April 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Carrie @ Half Baked SAYS:

Two packs of candy melts will cover about 12 cones. I used three packs but have a lot left over!

April 4, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Hayley SAYS:

This is so amazing, what a great idea! It looks fantastic!

Reply April 4, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Laura SAYS:

Great tutorial. So creative. Thanks for sharing.

Reply April 4, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Sue SAYS:

Fantastic idea! love it!

Reply April 4, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Mogab SAYS:

Hi Ellen, good to hear from you If you make 1.5 portion of this repice and devide into 2.5 oz dough for one bun I think you will have 3 dozen .Have a great day, and happy baking !

November 17, 2012 at 9:46 am

de SAYS:

so cute! but what kind of candies are used?

Reply April 4, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Carrie @ Half Baked SAYS:

Thanks De! I used Wilton Orange Candy Melts, available at most craft stores in the cake/candy making section. They are sold in bags and you will need two (to three) bags for this project.

April 5, 2012 at 3:19 am

Natalie SAYS:

What a creative idea! I loved how you used a cooling rack to bake the cupcakes. This is one carrot garden that would be hard not to dig into. Thanks for sharing!

Reply April 5, 2012 at 4:33 am

Vicki Bensinger SAYS:

OMG these are the absolute cutest. So creative and colorful. I love it!!!

Reply April 5, 2012 at 8:19 am

CaityCakes SAYS:

This idea is absolutely adorable! I’m thinking about making it this weekend with carrot cake and cream cheese frosting instead of the chocolate cake.

Reply April 5, 2012 at 9:59 am

Mary SAYS:

How did the carrot cake turn out? This is what I want to try for this Easter. Did the cone and candy interfere with the carrot cake taste? Mary

March 24, 2013 at 8:31 am

marianasolomon SAYS:

OMG!!! I’m a full time mom and Program Controls Manager. Then there’s the other side of me that’s always been the full time baker. SO, I fell in love with this wonderful dessert idea for my Easter Sunday Dessert Table. Last night after getting the kids in bed and getting through eating quick late dinner I decided that it wasn’t too late to bake. NOT!! It was 12:30am. I must have been delireous to decide to try and make this. But really, I always do this to myself.
Anyway, I did it! Used my cake recipe from scratch (all organic ingredients) instead of the out of the box cake. And let me telll you I think the only thing that killed me was being able to keep the cones standing straight up. It’s not that easy. Plus you have to try not to break any. After the first 15 min in the oven I removed them and had to have my hubby clean the oven for me; while I stood them up straight again. I had to put them in an additional 10 minutes. No worries ladies, this is because it wasn’t Betty Crocker or anything of the sort. I have a special chocolate recipe of my own and the batter is thicker than if you do a box cake mix. In any case I made 24 beautiful cake cones, and left the icing and coating for EITHER tonight or Saturday. These babies are traveling out of town…

Reply April 5, 2012 at 10:09 am

Carrie @ Half Baked SAYS:

So glad to hear you tried this Mariana! Your note helps reiterate an important line from Step #1….

Cones must fit snugly (into wire rack) or they will fall over when baking!

This is also why the parchment lined baking sheet is so important. Hope they travel well and that you enjoy!

April 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Kelli SAYS:

These are adorable! I would have never thought to make cupcakes in that kind of ice cream cone!

Reply April 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Carrie @ Half Baked SAYS:

If you can’t find a wire rack that will hold your ice cream cones upright tightly…

Bake your cake in a regular pan, crumble once cooled and then mix together with icing (the way you would to create a cake ball / cake pop). Then pack this cake mixture into your ice cream cone. This lets you skip baking the cake in the ice cream cones. Creating more of a carrot cake pop!

Reply April 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm