Cute & Clever Children’s Book Theme Baby Shower

Quick Jump To » Vendor Credits | Comments

book theme baby shower milk and cake

Update: Meleka was kind enough to send over a copy of her {amazing} quiz! Download it here!

Inspired by the joy of classic children’s books, Meleka of MMJ Events created a whole baby shower centered around a collection of everyone’s childhood favorites.

All the inspiration for the food, drinks, and desserts were taken from each children’s classic book ranging from Milk and Cookies (If You Give a Mouse a Cookie), Green Deviled Eggs (Green Eggs and Ham), Meatballs (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs), Pink Lemonade (Pinkalicious), Moon Pies (Goodnight Moon), just to name a few. Each table was cleverly decked out with it’s own book theme. I’m loving the “Corduroy” table which happens to be one of my favorite children’s books. As a gift, the guests were encouraged to bring their favorite childhood book to share with the mother-to-be and in lieu of a card to write an inscription in the book to both mother and baby.

book baby shower corduroy centerpiece

book theme baby shower milk and cookies

book theme baby shower food table

book theme baby shower cake and green eggs from dr. seuss

book theme baby shower hungry caterpillar

book theme baby shower centerpiece

book theme baby shower caterpillar decoration

book theme baby shower milk and cake

book theme baby shower cake

rainbow-dotted-divider-2

PARTY DETAILS, as told by Meleka

When I originally spoke with Megan, we knew we wanted to have the guest bring their favorite book as a child with their message inside instead of a card. When thinking about this, I decided to take it a step further and have the whole party be centered around children’s books.

I spend some time at the library going through all the books I enjoyed as a child. Seeing the cover of a book I haven’t thought about in 20 years brought a big smile to my face. I checked out 20+ books and went to work. The inspiration for the food and dessert table all came from details from these old school books. We tested the guests memory with a quiz from 20 of the all time best children’s book.

Vendor Credit
POSTED BY:Jessica W.JESSICA WILCOX of Modern Moments admits to being kept awake by new creative ideas.

148 responses to “Cute & Clever Children’s Book Theme Baby Shower”

1. What a great shower theme! One children’s book addition that would be fun is Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch.

2. Anna says:

How did she make the green deviled eggs? Is it guacamole or food coloring?

3. Aimee says:

BEAUTIFUL.. specially coordinating the food with the books..

4. I love the cake! I love how it’s modern and colorful and has a majority of all kids favorite books.

5. This party is charming. I love seeing the various classic children’s books!

6. Betty says:

Great idea!!! Would work well for a 1st birthday party as well!

7. kaye says:

do you have a copy of the quiz? We are having a book shower for my daughter, I enjoyed your post very much. email me at theriverdaughter (at) gmail (dot) com

8. Debi says:

Could I get a copy of the quiz too? debiav87@gmail.com

Thanks :)

9. jennifer says:

will you please email me a copy of the quiz? I am doing a children’s book theme birthday party for my son’s first birthday and this quiz will be fun for all the adults to do at the party! Thanks so much! Love the idea!!

10. arledastewart says:

Sooooo cute!!! Im thinking about using this theme for my son’s kindergarten end of the school year party. I just love this:) Good job.

11. Melissa says:

I adore this party theme! So much fun and so many of my favorite childrens books. Perfect!

12. Sara says:

Hi Could I please have a copy of the quiz as well?!!? :) Thanks!
    sarakmcg@yahoo.com
    This is an awesome idea!!

13. Mallory says:

Could I have a copy of the quiz?!!?!
    mal_boehm@yahoo.com

14. Kelley says:

I would love a copy f the quiz too!

15. Kristen says:

May I have a copy of the quiz please

16. Heather says:

what a brilliant idea for a party! May I also have a copy of your quiz? I’d love to borrow this theme for my cousin’s shower, if I could!

17. Meg says:

I helped throw a book-themed shower for my friend awhile back. Here are a few pics from her blog:

Such a fun theme. My fav was that for a duckling book tie-in, we filled the pool with rubber ducks. Her mom also put together a quiz where you had to fill in the book names. Oh, and her sister did these really cute library card invites. Adorbs!

18. Cheryl says:

Oh! I LOVE this! I would appreciate a copy of the quiz, also!

19. Linda Wirta says:

This is the most adorable theme EVER! May I have a copy of the quiz please?

Thanks!

20. Bethany says:

Could I get a copy of the quiz too? I’m doing this for my son’s first birthday and I’m so excited! Also what did you use for the invitations? mom2alex@hotmail.com

21. Lindsay Sanders says:

This is awesome…I love it! Can I also get a copy of the quiz if you are emailing them out? lmahaffey12@gmail.com

22. Nicole says:

I LOVE this theme and am going to do it for my daughter’s 1st birthday. What book were the carrots and ranch for? What food did you use with very hungry caterpillar? Thanks!

23. Cindi says:

Can I please get a copy of the quiz and also what book did you use for the carrots and hummus ?

24. Mandy says:

Love the Quiz for the book themed party. Could you please email me a copy? Thanks!

25. Mandy says:

I love the cards you have on the tables too by the food. If that’s a printable, could you please email me a copy? Thank you!

26. alyssa says:

Hi everyone! We just updated the post and included a copy of the quiz! It is seriously amazing…

27. Michaela says:

I would love the quiz as well- I am making this my daughter’s 1st birthday party- we were already planning to do a book donation to a local foundation instead of gifts so this would make a perfect way to complete our idea! love it!!! boddicker@msn.com

28. Kayla says:

I’d love to get a copy of the quiz, too! We’re throwing a baby shower with this exact theme, and looking for games to coordinate with it. Thanks in advance!
    Kayla.breazeale@yahoo.com

29. Sarah says:

I love your blog post about this – it’s the same theme I’m doing for my girlfriend’s baby shower. Could I please get a copy of the quiz you used? Also can you tell me about the carrots you did. I’m intrigued!! Thanks!

30. Marylou says:

Please email me a copy of the quiz. We are throwing a book themed baby shower and would love to use as a game…Thanks so much:)

31. Kelly says:

Love it! Could you please share the place you ordered invitations from for the party or a PDF of the invitation if possible? Thank you! You could email it to me at kjdoherty1@yahoo.com

32. Madison says:

Im planning my baby shower around the same theme, but im stuck on a simple invitation idea, any suggestions?

33. Brenda says:

Would you be so kind as to email me a copy of the quiz? Thanks!!

34. Keri Beirdneau says:

This is INCREDIBLE! Thank you for sharing. I wish I had seen this when I had my first baby. I would have loved my sister for throwing me this shower. :)

35. allisoncassidy says:

Hello, you have nailed this theme and I am so happy I found you. I was wondering where you got the the little pots for the carrots and hummus. Thanks for your time.

36. Being a cake decorator and on the library board; ideas are clicking.

• Susan J Walker Haemker says:

Fits right into the Summer Reading theme. Let me know what you will do, or share on here what you did!

37. Pam Eckman says:

Love this idea. Our cake maker would not do the cake due to copywrite, so how did you get around that? And where may I go to get a copy of the quiz? Any other game ideas that went over well at your party?

38. Julie Wilcox says:

I love all of the ideas! Could you email me a copy of the quiz as well? Thanks!!

39. Lacey says:

Can you email me a copy of the quiz? Thanks!

40. Sherry Carnahan says:

Loved this idea! Thank you for sharing. btw what book was used for the pasta salad?

41. Rachel says:

Hi I love this theme! Where can I download or buy or whatever the tags for the food?

42. Rose says:

Great Idea! Could I have a copy of the quiz?

43. Alison Randolph says:

Please send me a copy of the quiz!! I love this idea and I want to have the same shower in August! Thanks

44. Ashley says:

So adorable!! Could you email me the quiz??

45. Nicole says:

I love this idea – we are doing it for my daughter’s first birthday this weekend. Just curious where you got the food cards or how you made them? And what is the orange dish by the pasta?

46. Bina Shah says:

Do you have an image of the invitations?

47. anna johnson says:

do you have instruction on how you “built ” the cake :) It is so awesome!

48. Megan says:

I would also love a copy of the quiz as well too please?

meganyeats@live.com

thank you!

49. Gwen says:

Very cute ideas! I did something similar, http://livinginlangley.blogspot.com/2012/01/wild-about-books.html. Love the Swedish Fish for Red Fish Blue Fish. I’ll remember to add that next time!

Book showers are the best, imo!

50. Phyllis Miller says:

Could I also have a copy of the quiz? We do a “book” shower for each of our teachers when they are expecting. This would be a great addition to our shower. Many thanks!

51. Jennie Baird Buchkovich says:

Would you be able to email me a copy of the quiz? My son's first birthday is coming up, and I think this would be a fun activity for the adults! solnichkajennie@yahoo.com

52. Stacy Fernandez says:

Hi, could you send me a copy fo the quiz? stace347@gmail.com And do you have any pictures of the invitation? Thank you! I love this idea! thank you for sharing. :)

53. Julie says:

I LOVE IT!! My sister is expecting and we are planning a baby shower for her but had no real theme until now. I’d love a copy of the quiz, too!
    jhans98@aol.com

54. Love this for our new Liesl whenever she visits us…

55. Planning a Brunch and Books Baby Shower this fall and find your party ideas to be so creative. Have planned the invite to include a cute verse to encourage bringing a children's book instead of a greeting card. Would love it if you could share your quiz with me. pam@scommegna.com

56. mindy says:

Could you send me a copy of the quz to mcschuett@charter.net

57. Shauna says:

Will you please send me a copy of the quizz as well? Thanks so much!!

58. Brandi says:

could you please send me a copy of the quiz too please? brandi.stuart@gmail.com

59. Mindy says:

Love this party! How did you make the book cupcake toppers and the book table cards? Thanks!

60. Laura says:

I absolutely LOVE this !!! So cute : )
    Could you list all the food that you had with the coordinating book? Its hard to tell some of them from the picture : (

61. Lacee Surina says:

Can you please send me a copy of the quiz to laceesurina@gmai.com ?

62. Karen says:

Please send me a copy of the quiz. Shower in November and I love this theme.

63. Denise says:

I love everything!!! Can you email me a copy of the quiz please? Mdta1980@yahoo.com

64. Sharon Geel says:

this is beyond perfect for a double shower we are throwing!!
    May we have a copy of that quiz please @ sdgeel@gmail.com?
    Thanks so very much !!! Best to you & HAPPY CREATING !!

65. Jodi says:

This is Absolutely Adorable and beautiful all at the same time!! Love this idea. Been toying around with a Childrens Book Theme Shower and love how you incorporated everything together. I did see you’ve attached the link for the Quiz.. {Great} Would you be willing to share the Book/Food List you used??? ~and~ Would you mind sharing your invitation and/or atleast the wording you ended up using? Thank you sooo much!!!

66. I would love more details about this baby shower. I have a friend that is pregnant and I think this would be the greatest theme for her baby shower.

67. Nancy says:

May I please have a copy of your quiz? Using this theme for my daughter’s and niece’s combined baby shower in a few weeks.
    Thanks so much!

68. Nancy says:

Send quiz to ms8182@aol.com
    Thanks

69. Nichole says:

Can I get a copy of tghe quiz? committedtoeducation@yahoo.com

70. Tiffany says:

Is it possible to get a copy of the quiz? We are throwing a shower and have had a hard time finding a good game and this is perfect! tiffanyhope@hotmail.com

71. debbie amey says:

Could I also have a copy of the book quiz for mu daughters baby shower? Thanks ever so much!!!

72. Barbara says:

Can I please have a copy of the quiz? Thank you. Barbara

73. Julie says:

Could u send me a copy of the quiz? This is the theme I was planning for my beat friends baby shower. This is soooo perfect thank you for sharing !

74. Gina Howard says:

Could you please email me the quiz? I am doing this theme for a friends baby shower. I got most of the ideas from here. Adorable! Loved it!

75. Beth says:

Can I please have a copy of the quiz??? This is SO adorable!!

76. Could I get a copy of the quiz as well? jessicalmcgowan@hotmail.com Thanks!

77. Carolyn Chamberlain Dellinger says:

Can I get a copy of the quiz? care4dance@aol.com

78. Rebecca says:

Can I get a copy of the food labels that you created? I love this idea.

79. Can I get the food labels that you created? I love this idea.

80. Kristin Alexandra says:

May I have the food labels that you've created? I absolutely love this shower theme and will be throwing it for my expecting older sister (and teacher). Thank you!

81. julie says:

I LOVE the theme!! Could I please get a copy of the food labels and the quiz?
    julieyylee@gmail.com

I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much for your time!

82. Megan McCort says:

What did you do for invitations?

83. Jill Johnson says:

I love this Theme and would like to use this for my own
    Baby shower. Can you tell me how you made the cards on the table for the food that represent the books?

84. Krista says:

Hey! Love this!! We are copying your idea for a friend’s baby shower! Can you send me copy of the quiz if you still have it? raiderkrista@yahoo.com. Thanks!

85. Anna Lauren Cordell says:

Is it possible to get a copy of your quiz? acordell0509@gmail.com

86. Nikki says:

Where can I find the download or get a copy of the food labels? I love them!!!
    Thanks!
    nmbjelland@hotmail.com

87. L'erin says:

I love the hummus in the pots. What are the pots made of? Where can I purchase them?
    Love this entire spread. Well done.

88. Jannette Serrano says:

Hi all! I am throwing a shower for a fellow teacher this Friday…would LOVE to have the labels to save time….does anybody have them? my email is jserrano@wcpss.net.

89. Stacy Burwinkel says:

I really love this theme!!! My best friend will love this for her shower too! just a quick question how did you do the little place cards for each individual food? Did you just found the pics online and made them yourselves? Thanks!

90. Kd says:

Super Cute!!!
    The milk with straws (Book- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie) what size glasses and where did you find those straws?
    Also do you have a list of the books you used and food selection for each book?

91. Brenda says:

How did you make the book food cards?

92. Kirstin says:

Were all the books in the baby shower purchased by the hostess or taken out of the library?

93. Angela says:

So adorable! For my baby shower guest brought me book instead of cards and now I can’t wait to do Layla 1st yr birthday party with the same concept but even better and more creative!! Do you have the list of books you used and foods that you created to compliment them? I was curious what take home gift you gave to your guest… I love this! Great job:)

94. Ali says:

I’m going to do this for a friend, but she is avoiding food dyes, we will use all natural vegetable based colors.

95. Bridgett says:

Hi, I’m a first time Mom, and I’m so glad that I’ve found this blog! I love to read, and as a Pre-K teacher, books are very dear to my heart! So you can imagine my absolute delight when I ran across this shower theme while looking for ideas for a book themed shower! Thanks for sharing!!!!

96. Lisa Reed Alldritt says:

I can't find the quiz or the printable food tags. Can anyone help? I tried the blog post.

97. Lisa Reed Alldritt says:

Thank you my friend Mara May!

98. Mara May says:

Lisa the quiz is the blue highlighted link under the first set of pictures on the blog post. Here are the food tents…

99. Taryn says:

Can you list what the foods served were? Some of them are hard to see… Dish next to the meatballs and the little carrot cups?

100. Natalie Treadway says:

Can you give me a list of the books and foods/deserts you used?

101. Does anyone know what the pasta salad represents? Which book?

102. visit link says:

Happy to find it’s not just me so into chilli sauce!

103. Excellent article Source Webpage. I recently stumbled upon your site and desired to mention that I’ve truly cherished looking the web site articles. In fact I will be opt-in in your feed using this program . intending you are submitting all over again rapidly!

104. jean luc boeuf caisse dépots says:

Merci pour ce post. Afin d’être pleinement correct, je ne l’ai pas veritablement lu neanmoins je me permet d’de laisser cette explication pour avoir mon backlink pour mon blog. A toutbientôt ;) !!!

105. Breast Sugmentation Photos says:

Hi there, Today by means of Google concurrently while buying very similar topic, your web site came way up, this indicates to get excellent. I’ve truly added onto this favourites|added onto my personal social bookmarks.

106. Cindy Zemble Stewart Cindyzs says:

i blew up the image and typed what i could read into google and found it for you! i never heard of this book, so glad i saw ur post: found book on amazon
    Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola — "Grandma Witch" — is the source for potions, cures, magic, and comfort in her Calabrian town. Her magical everfull pasta pot is especially intriguing to hungry Big Anthony. He is supposed to look after her house and tend her garden but one day, when she goes over the mountain to visit Strega Amelia, Big Anthony recites the magic verse over the pasta pot, with disastrous results. In this retelling of an old tale, author-illustrator Tomie dePaola (whose middle names "is" Anthony) combines humor in the writing and warmth in the paintings as he builds the story to its hilarious climax. … :)

107. Jenn says:

couldn’t get the quiz link to work.

108. Tracey says:

How did you make the caterpillar tissue paper? So cute!!!!
    Please email me the directions

109. They might have bought the 500X purely as-is and it might nonetheless be solid worth
    for the value.

110. Where can I purchase the book card labels

111. Carrie says:

I need a little help…. I just placed an order for the food tents to accompany the food dishes for the storybook themed party. The description stated that when I placed my order, I would be prompted to select 12 food tends and food items at the end of the order process. I was not given this option and now I’m not sure what I will be receiving for my $7.00. Can you please help me? I am new to this and not too sure what I’m doing or how to navigate : /

• jenn s. says:

Hi Carrie –
      You’ll need to send a message to the Etsy shop that you purchased the tent cards from and let her know which designs you want and what foods to put on them. If you haven’t already done that, I’m sure she’ll contact you first because she can’t fulfill your order without that info. :) Once she has all the info, she’ll typset everything for you and send you a high res PDF via email or Etsy message. Hope that helps – and good luck with your party! :)

112. Are the cards printable?