As some of you that have been following HWTM for a while may already know, Operation Shower is an organization that’s near and dear to my heart. They do so much so help support our military families, and it’s always an honor to participate in one of their events! Of course it doesn’t hurt that LeAnn and Amy (the women behind Operation Shower) are super fun to work with either. ;)
And I have to say that this particular event – a “vintage Hollywood glam inspired” A STAR IS BORN Baby Shower held in Los Angeles – was especially fun to work on… fabulous sequin tablecloths, vintage film reels, sparkly crystals, glittered baby bottles – what’s not to love, right?!
That’s not to say we didn’t have the inevitable “hiccups“ to work through – including but not limited to: a temporary bout with self-inflicted creative block, crazy weather, and tall centerpieces that had to be re-worked at the last minute due to an unexpectedly “bouncy” venue floor + impending nightmares of toppling vases – but it’s amazing how quickly all of that stuff is forgotten after just one look at the excited faces of the guests of honor! FOR EXAMPLE:
My main role for “A Star is Born” (presented by title sponsor Carousel Designs) was to design the paper elements and printable details, as well as collaborate with Amy on the tablescapes and decor. We were pretty happy with how everything turned out and hope you like it too! And if you happen like it so much that you want to host a similar theme for your own loved one, good news… you can download several of the printables for free right here! Read on for lots more pics + creative details…
Here’s a peek at the signature Operation Shower “Showers in a Box” that each of the moms received. They’re full of TONS of goodies for them and their little ones, as donated by several generous companies!
Here’s a sneak peek of the incredible Sweets Station by Sweets Indeed. It’s so great I thought it deserved it’s own post… so stay tuned for full details! :)
Since this particular event was going to be held in Los Angeles, right before the Academy Awards, Operation Shower decided to go with a movie/awards theme! Since they’d already done “A Star is Born” once before, we decided to make this event a little different by giving it a vintage Hollywood twist and using a mix of bright and muted reds, golds, and black.
Whenever something is extra important to me, I almost psych myself out a bit second guessing the design… it took me a while to be satisfied with the direction that the printables and paper details were headed (cue the “self-inflicted creative block” mentione above), but in the end this ended up being one of my favorite party collections ever! Yay ;) I incorporated some chevron print and single-color silhouettes for a modern vibe, but used more textured patterns than usual to also help portray a vintage feel. The bow-tie wearing chevron stork holding a “sparkly” cloth package is probably my very favorite element from all of the printables! And you can download most of them for free right here.
The tables consisted of fabulous sequined tablecloths from La Tavola, which are a statement in themselves! Place settings altered with napkins that were folded either into a bow-tie or an “awards” envelope and wrapped with a paper band that read “And the Winner Is…” or “The Envelope Please…”. Bottles of Sparkling Pomegranate IZZE were adorned with adorable felt bow-ties made by Amy’s mom!
There were 3 different table centerpiece designs. Each design had one main element + fun embellishments like vintage film reels, glittered baby bottles and pacifiers, vintage cameras (found on eBay), popcorn, and framed 4×6 signs that are part of the Party Printables. Here are the 3 different “main elements”:
1. Golden Stork – a wire stork form from tmarco.com that was spray painted gold, filled with red feather boa, and embellished with a glittered pacifier hanging from his mouth.
2. Flower Ball “Oscar Moms” – “pregnant mom” wire forms were also spray painted gold and embellished with red satin and diamond ribbon. They were inserted into big white carnation flower balls that we embellished with decorative “film strips” (which were actually a scrapbooking embellishment).
3. “Glam” Floral Centerpieces – tall arrangements featuring all red flowers, embellished with red feathers and crystals. Vases were embellished with black feather boa and ribbon. Due to the “bouncy floor” mentioned in the intro above, we added some support at the last minute by inserting the tall vases into wider containers filled with rocks (for added weight). The rocks were hidden with popcorn and the vases were embellished with leftover paper patterns from the printables. Thanks, Carolyn Horten, for all of your help with this!
Carl’s Junior has been a great supporter of Operation Shower and donated lunch again – they have an awesome food truck that whipped up both cheeseburgers and turkey burgers for everyone from the guests to the volunteers! As I mentioned above…the amazing SWEETS STATION by Sweets Indeed will be getting it’s own post. :)
Found Vintage Rentals generously donated a bunch of furniture & accessories for both the lounge/photo area and the Sweets Station! Brian and Jaime from YourBASH! picked out the items and styled them into a cool lounge-y area where the guests got to take fun “themed” pictures and relax!
I feel like there are so many other fun details to share, but this post is already getting quite long (!) – so if you have questions about anything in particular, please feel free to ask them in the comments section below. Thank you! :)
SPECIAL THANKS to all of the generous SPONSORS that made this event possible – including title sponsor Carousel Designs, Birdies for the Brave, Pottery Barn Kids, Carl’s Junior, and The Northern Trust Open.
– Event Styling & Design: Amy Belle Isle (Operation Shower) and Jenn Sbranti (HWTM)
– Graphic Design / Party Printables: Jenn (HWTM)
– Photography: The Pixel Studio
– Floral Design: Amber Lay / HWTM
– Table Linens – La Tavola
– Sweets Station: Sweets Indeed
– Vintage Furniture: Found Vintage Rentals
– Lounge Area Design: YourBASH!
– Black Sequin Drapes & Red Carpet: YourBASH!
– Printing: Emagine Digital
– Wire Forms (Stork and Pregnant Dress): tmarco.com
– Red Stripey Straws: The TomKat Studio Party Shop
– White Frames: IKEA ( 99-cent Tolsby Frames)