DIY Tutorial: Leprechaun Hat S’mores

leprechaun hat s'mores - st. patrick's day dessert idea

What’s luckier than a leprechaun’s hat? A leprechaun hat made of chocolate and marshmallow with a great cookie crunch! Hi, it’s Carrie Sellman from Half Baked, the cake blog for sweet inspiration. I’m over the rainbow to be here today, sharing a quick and easy treat for St. Patrick’s Day!

Delicious as they are cute, these little hats would be the perfect addition to any St. Patty’s Day dessert table, or a festive sweet to enjoy at home. A Fudge Stripe Cookie base is topped with a marshmallow and then coated in chocolate to create one delicious little s’more hat! Easy enough for your little leprechauns to help make too (if you don’t mind gooey hands!). Hope you enjoy these Leprechaun Hat S’MoresLet’s take a peek inside, shall we?

In a few simple steps, you’ll be kicking up your heels and dancing the jig, wishing that every rainbow ended in a plate of these adorable s’mores!

by Carrie Sellman

– Keebler® Fudge Stripes™ Cookies
– Large Marshmallows
– Dark Chocolate Candy Melts
– Green Candy Melts
– Green Sprinkles or Cake Sparkles

1. Melt dark chocolate candy in the microwave, in 30 second intervals on 50% power. Stir after each heating. Repeat until completely melted. Dip Fudge Stripe Cookies into chocolate, coating completely. Shake off any excess. Set on parchment paper, top side down, until candy coating is completely set.
2. Using a toothpick, dip marshmallow into chocolate and coat almost entirely. Shake off any excess. Set on parchment paper, until candy coating is completely set. Remove toothpick.
3. Melt green candy just as you did the chocolate. Flip marshmallow upside down and insert new toothpick in top. Dip into green candy, just barely, to create a small band of green around the bottom.
4. Coat green candy band with sprinkles or sparkles. Shake off excess.
5. Place marshmallow in center of chocolate covered cookie. Carefully remove toothpick. Touch up the toothpick hole with a small dab of melted chocolate, if desired.
6. To finish the hat, attach a glittering shamrock with a small dab of melted green.

Spoon some of the remaining melted green candy into a piping bag, ziplock bag or squeeze bottle. On parchment paper, make three small dots of candy in the shape of a triangle. Each dot should be about the size of a chocolate chip. Using a toothpick, swirl the three dots together to form a shamrock shape. Swirl the bottom two dots together first, then the top dot. Pull toothpick straight down to form the stem.

Before candy hardens, cover with sprinkles or crushed cake sparkles. Once shamrocks have set up, dust off excess sparkle. Your shamrocks are ready to decorate a hat, cupcake or other St. Patty’s Day dessert!

Your finished treats can be stored for several days in an airtight container, at room temperature. Hope you enjoy my Leprechaun Hat S’mores! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

POSTED BY:CarrieCARRIE SELLMAN is the founder and editor of Half Baked (The Cake Blog), an inspirational site featuring everything from cupcakes to cookies, dessert tables, DIYs and recipes.

25 responses to “DIY Tutorial: Leprechaun Hat S’mores”

1. Lisa says:

These are SOOOO cute! I am definitely going to make them with my kids on Friday – thanks!

2. Susan says:

These are too cute & a must do!

3. Aimee says:

Can day be anymore cute and the combo yum yum

4. These are so fun and perfect for our St. Patty’s celebration! Thanks the tutorial.

5. Kaye says:

These are adorable. Making these this weekend.

6. JEN says:

I made these, but instead of fudge stripe cookies, I used the mint oreo fudge dipped cookies, then I didn’t have to dip the bottom half of the cookies. I also found edible glitter icing at the grocery store and used that to decorate the hat with – glittery shamrocks on the tops of the hats, not on the side – I was on a time crunch and couldn’t wait to pick them up and ice them… Nothing like waiting until last minute – But my school staff loved them, and wanted to know where I got the idea from, so I sent them your weblink! CHEERS!

7. I love these and I am sure my kids would too!

I have featured it over on my craft blog:

Hope that is okay!

8. yani says:

Luv luv your Blog!!!!

9. Kelli Holmes says:

OK, I'm having a St. Patrick's Day wedding……And these WILL be on my table!

10. Michelle says:

This is a great recipe, but am i missing something? There’s not link to a printable or PDF version…

11. Jen says:

Cute! Hmmm… What about Girl Scout Thin Mints? Too small?

12. andrea says:

I made mine with girl scout mint cookies.. YUM! :)

13. Tiffany says:

Does anyone know how long these will stay good for? I send my husband themed boxes and they usually take about a week to get there. Thanks

14. Cindy deRosier says:

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:

If you have other kid friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

15. Such a clever, yet simple little treat!

16. Bennett says:

They remind me of an Irish-ized version of those utterly indulgent cookies we used to prize above all else as kids: Pinwheels. They were chocolate covered marshmallow wheels on a cookie base. They seemed as big as out heads back then.

17. Shelly McClain says:

These are just the cutest! We used our Girl Scout Cookie thin mints for the base of the hat (mostly because I am lazy!) and they were really yummy. Thank you for such a fun treat idea for me to make with my girls!! :)

18. Murphy O' Connor says:

Definitely not as easy as It sounds the pictures definitely are miss leading my St. Patty’s day ones turned out to be a mess although we did have fun trying to fix them. Mine were FUGLY!!!! but delicious I used Thin-Mint cookies.

19. My baby girl starts next year in school this be great