06 Jan

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

DIY Yarn and Balloon Ball Chandelier Tutorial

I’m thrilled to share this super creative and useful “Yarn Chandelier Tutorial” from Nicolle of Libby Lane Press with you today!

This project utilizes yarn, a glue mixture, and balloons – and is so versatile and budget-friendly. You can use these cool spheres for all sorts of parties and occassions… from birthday celebrations to baby showers, bridal showers, and beyond! Nicolle created these particular yarn spheres for this super cute Holiday Whimsical Woodland Wonderland shoot:

whimsical wonderland dessert table with forest creatures

Read on for complete DIY details from Nicolle…

by Nicolle from Libby Lane Press

materials for DIY yarn ball chandelier

– Yarn
– School Glue
– Corn Starch
– Vaseline
– Dowel rod/pole for hanging
– Scissors
– Balloons
– Bowl for Mixing

1. Blow up Balloons:
I wanted various sized yarn chandeliers so I chose to incorporate a large punching balloon as my main focal point and added standard balloons for the surrounding areas.  I only blew the standard balloons to approximately half capacity to keep as true of a circular shape as possible.

balloons and yarn

2. Assemble work space:
Place a long pole or dowel rod between two chairs to create a DIY ‘drying station’.  I highly recommend placing a plastic trash bag or disposable plastic tablecloth underneath where you will hang the balloons.  I initially began this project outdoors, however wind became a factor and I was forced to relocate (not easy).

3. Attach balloons to rod:
Tie yarn around the stem of the balloon and hang from the dowel rod.  Be sure that the balloon is suspended and not touching the surrounding balloons.

balloons on a rod

4. Petroleum Jelly:
Cover each balloon in a light coating of petroleum jelly.  This ensures that the yarn will not stick to the balloon once it is dried and popped.

5. Mixing & Dipping:
Mix the school glue (about half of the bottle) with approx. 1/2 cup of cornstarch and approx. 1/4 cup of water.  I estimated these amounts and added more cornstarch and glue when desiring a thicker paste consistency.

Dip the yarn into the glue mixture, squeeze out excess, and begin wrapping around the balloon vertically and then switch to horizontally.  Once you have covered a good part of your balloon, cut the yarn and tie to a surrounding piece.  I chose to do this near the stem of the balloon so it would not be as obvious when hanging.

6. Drying/Popping:
Allow yarn chandeliers to hang for 24 hours in a dry, covered area.  Do not attempt to shorten this process!

Next, pop the balloon (this is where I held my breath in anticipation).  The yarn will also have dried glue crystals however they easily flake off when tapped.

DIY Yarn Ball Chandelier Tutorial

Now your yarn chandeliers are ready to hang! I used mine for my Whimsical Winter Wonderland photo shoot and then hung them in my children’s playroom for a fun pop of color!

whimsical wonderland dessert table with forest creatures

Photography of the final product by: SweetBee Photography

Basma Bianuni SAYS:

Is it necessary to use petroleum jelly? any substitutions for it please? Thanks.

Reply September 18, 2012 at 8:13 am

Nicolle-Libby Lane Press SAYS:

Hi there,
The petroleum jelly protects the balloon from popping when the yarn is hardening from the glue mixture. I have never tried it without so I cannot say if a substitution would work. Good luck! I promise it’s worth it!

October 15, 2012 at 6:19 pm

charity SAYS:

Is the glue mixture supposed to last for many balloons? I made one tonight and it took almost the entire batch, but I rubbed glue in my hands then rubbed it on the yarn as I went along. I first tried dipping the yarn in the glue and ringing it out but it knotted up.

Reply September 25, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Sandy Cook SAYS:

We tried this..we accomplished about 10 of them and hung them on a carport to dry. One by one the balloons popped, collapsing the wet yarn, throughout the evening and by morning we only had 1 left standing. It is beautiful but alot of work with such unfavorable results..does anyone know why this happened?

Reply October 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Shelby Jones SAYS:

temperature change, the air trapped inside the balloon may have been warmer, in the evening it cooled down. Warm air expands = balloon pops. That's my guess anyways. I think you need to do it inside in a temp controlled environment!

October 24, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Melissa Petersen Perry SAYS:

I've attempted these yarn balls several times and this method worked (several others failed). It is a VERY messy project but the results are fantastic. The petroleum jelly worked well because it doesn't really dry. I don't know how cooking spray would work….it's worth a try…you just must prevent the yarn from sticking to your balloon when deflating or it will just pull the yarn and collapse your ball. Also I dried mine outside for about 6 hours on a warm day and a second time had to move them indoors (garage) where it was also fairly warm. I don't think you want them to be anywhere that has moisture or it will prevent the yarn from drying. I did not measure my ingredients but you want to be sure not to add too much water. And lastly, it is definitely tricky to get the yarn around the balloon without slipping off….you just need to wrap the yarn around and very gradually turn your balloon…once you have a good base of yarn you can then wrap some in a more random pattern to give you the more messy look. And deflate the balloon slowly so the yarn detaches gradually.

Reply October 30, 2012 at 4:23 am

Kelly @ City Mom SAYS:

I just got all set up for this and started dipping and wrapping and I gave up. It’s a lot harder than it looks. The yarn kept slipping off the balloon and getting out of place. Was it too much vaseline or too much paste?

Reply October 31, 2012 at 7:56 am

javeriyasayeedsiddiqui SAYS:

Just love yarn chandeliers! XD
Sharing this tutorial on my channel

Reply November 4, 2012 at 7:14 am

Qzonna Hamilton SAYS:

I just tried this today. yuckie fun…I will let you know how it turns out…

Reply November 12, 2012 at 7:32 pm

mom&teacher SAYS:

I used this craft with preschoolers. Most loves squishing white cotton twine into white glue and wrapping the balloons. After they were wrapped, the kids rolled their balloon in either a solid or mixed color glitter. We set them on waxed paper to dry (teachers turned them), popped the balloon and then hung a twine piece. A parent who became a friend said they had theirs hanging for years! Of course, once you start with glitter, you never see the end of it! Fun!

Reply November 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much for a great tutorial. Guess I have to go shopping later! :)

– Love from Norway

Reply February 13, 2013 at 11:51 am

Brie SAYS:

Really messy! Harder than it looks! The mixture lasted for about 1 and 1/2 balloons so had to remix in the middle of wrapping. Got two done then quit…I’ll wait to see how they turn out before I decide if doing more is worth it

Reply February 17, 2013 at 7:45 am

Can's say SAYS:

how did you come up with this, I am soooo doing this for my 10th birthday!

Reply February 20, 2013 at 2:50 pm

5216456 54 avenue south SAYS:

awesome but how do you hang it from the ceiling

Reply May 4, 2013 at 10:46 am

jenn s. SAYS:

The clear, damage-free hooks from 3m are a good trick for hanging things from the ceiling :) Here’s what they look like.

May 5, 2013 at 2:03 pm

ev0ve SAYS:

Fun project, great tutorial!

Have you ever thought of dividing the comments section into two parts? One for compliments, and one for ‘tips and questions’? There are so many comments, that I didn’t read them all but now that I’m waiting for everything to dry I’m reading and learning so much that I wish I’d known before.

1Q) What’s the point of the corn starch and water? The crystals were quite a problem on my first try. Other tutorials suggest pulling string through glue. Has anyone tried spray stiffener or spray starch?
2) Wait 24 hours (like she says) or just be sure that your yarn feels crispy before you try to pop the balloon.
3) Regarding lubricants: I tried dry spray silicone & almond oil. The silicone worked well, and I’m still waiting on the almond oil. I have a feeling that the un-drying moisture of the almond oil is going to prevent the yarn from drying thoroughly…doh!
4) Acrylic paint in the glue: What a great idea!
5) Glitter sounds fun! Just remember not to hang these over your food if you put glitter on them.

Reply May 7, 2013 at 7:19 am

Debbie SAYS:

I’m looking to use this idea to decorate our nursery rooms in our Early Childhood Dept at church.

Reply June 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm