06 Jan

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

I’m thrilled to share this super creative and useful “Yarn Chandelier Tutorial” from Nicolle of Libby Lane Press with you today!

This project utilizes yarn, a glue mixture, and balloons – and is so versatile and budget-friendly. You can use these cool spheres for all sorts of parties and occassions… from birthday celebrations to baby showers, bridal showers, and beyond! Nicolle created these particular yarn spheres for this super cute Holiday Whimsical Woodland Wonderland shoot:

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

Read on for complete DIY details from Nicolle…

YARN CHANDELIER TUTORIAL

by Nicolle from Libby Lane Press

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

MATERIALS:
– Yarn
– School Glue
– Corn Starch
– Vaseline
– Dowel rod/pole for hanging
– Scissors
– Balloons
– Bowl for Mixing

Step by Step INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Blow up Balloons:
I wanted various sized yarn chandeliers so I chose to incorporate a large punching balloon as my main focal point and added standard balloons for the surrounding areas.  I only blew the standard balloons to approximately half capacity to keep as true of a circular shape as possible.

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

2. Assemble work space:
Place a long pole or dowel rod between two chairs to create a DIY ‘drying station’.  I highly recommend placing a plastic trash bag or disposable plastic tablecloth underneath where you will hang the balloons.  I initially began this project outdoors, however wind became a factor and I was forced to relocate (not easy).

3. Attach balloons to rod:
Tie yarn around the stem of the balloon and hang from the dowel rod.  Be sure that the balloon is suspended and not touching the surrounding balloons.

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

4. Petroleum Jelly:
Cover each balloon in a light coating of petroleum jelly.  This ensures that the yarn will not stick to the balloon once it is dried and popped.

5. Mixing & Dipping:
Mix the school glue (about half of the bottle) with approx. 1/2 cup of cornstarch and approx. 1/4 cup of water.  I estimated these amounts and added more cornstarch and glue when desiring a thicker paste consistency.

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

Dip the yarn into the glue mixture, squeeze out excess, and begin wrapping around the balloon vertically and then switch to horizontally.  Once you have covered a good part of your balloon, cut the yarn and tie to a surrounding piece.  I chose to do this near the stem of the balloon so it would not be as obvious when hanging.

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

6. Drying/Popping:
Allow yarn chandeliers to hang for 24 hours in a dry, covered area.  Do not attempt to shorten this process!

Next, pop the balloon (this is where I held my breath in anticipation).  The yarn will also have dried glue crystals however they easily flake off when tapped.

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

Now your yarn chandeliers are ready to hang! I used mine for my Whimsical Winter Wonderland photo shoot and then hung them in my children’s playroom for a fun pop of color!

DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

Photography of the final product by: SweetBee Photography

101Comments

HiLLjO SAYS:

Kind of in love with this!!! I might use some jute cording and make some rustic cozy-home ones!

Reply January 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Lindsay {Easy Made Invitations} SAYS:

LOVE these, Nicolle!! So cute!!! :)

Reply January 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Jennifer Needham SAYS:

I love these – such a great idea. How did you hang them from your ceiling? My husband would freak out about tacks in the ceiling, but I can’t think of another way.

Reply January 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Nicolle-Libby Lane Press SAYS:

Hi Jennifer! I actually just taped them to the ceiling with packaging tape. They are very light and the tape didn’t leave a mark.

Reply January 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm

DeAnna SAYS:

I love this! I’m thinking that when I make these that I will try to tint the glue mixture with food coloring (like for icing) to match the yarn colors. That way I don’t have to worry so much about the dried glue crystals. It would drive me crazy to get every little bit of them off if they were white.

Reply January 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Valerie SAYS:

Oh, my. LOVE these! I am so doing this a my next party. I have shared this at thecraftersfilebox.com. Thanks so much for the amazing idea!

Reply January 7, 2012 at 7:18 am

Jen @ Eco and Elsie SAYS:

I am in love with this! I have been looking for some easy, budget friendly room decor ideas for my daughter’s playroom and this is perfect! What fun!

Reply January 7, 2012 at 7:59 am

Cathy SAYS:

I remember making these as a very young child with a neighbor lady only we used embroidery floss and starch. After they dried we added glitter and gems and what ever else shiny. Fun fun! Thanks for the memories and up-dated version. :0)

Reply January 7, 2012 at 9:55 am

tera SAYS:

I love this! I think I’m going to have to try it. Are they stiff enough that you could make them and put them in a bowl?

Reply January 7, 2012 at 10:30 am

Nicolle-Libby Lane Press SAYS:

Hi Tera,
So glad you like them! You can definitely make smaller versions to put in a bowl. Each sphere is very light and surprisingly sturdy.

January 10, 2012 at 7:11 pm

tera SAYS:

Thanks! I actually made some yesterday…LOVE them! Thanks so much!

January 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm

debiperry SAYS:

I just made these last night my sister’s 40th birthday party, which was tonight (procrastinate much?). My sister owns a yarn shop, and many of her guests were patrons and friends from the shop, so this was perfect! I made the first few with yellow and turquoise yarn I bought, then made several more in different colors by just adding acrylic paint directly to the glue mixture to color white yarn I had on hand.

They were a huge hit, and even the colors of my hand-dyed ones were very saturated, bright, and fun! Thanks!

Reply January 7, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Michelle SAYS:

I love these! I think I will do a version of these for the table decor at my Winter Party later this month. It’ll also be a great way for me to use up some super fine white baby yarn I am not going to use for anything else. Thanks for the idea!

Reply January 8, 2012 at 7:11 am

Nikki SAYS:

LOVE this!! Do they last for a while or do they lose their shape? I’d love to decorate the girls’ rooms too.

Reply January 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm

NIcolle-Libby Lane Press SAYS:

Hi Nikki,
They will last as long you want {in a dry area, of course}. As long as they don’t get wet, the yarn remains stiff. They would look perfect in a bedroom or a playroom.

January 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm

FestivePartyGirl SAYS:

As soon as I saw these, I immediately thought BALLOONS! I recently made chocolate bowls with inflated balloons. I love this idea to make yarn chandeliers.

Reply January 9, 2012 at 8:04 am