DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier

DIY Yarn and Balloon Ball Chandelier Tutorial

I’m thrilled to share this super creative and useful “Yarn Chandelier Tutorial” from Nicolle of Libby Lane Press with you today!

This project utilizes yarn, a glue mixture, and balloons – and is so versatile and budget-friendly. You can use these cool spheres for all sorts of parties and occassions… from birthday celebrations to baby showers, bridal showers, and beyond! Nicolle created these particular yarn spheres for this super cute Holiday Whimsical Woodland Wonderland shoot:

whimsical wonderland dessert table with forest creatures

Read on for complete DIY details from Nicolle…

YARN CHANDELIER TUTORIAL

by Nicolle from Libby Lane Press

materials for DIY yarn ball chandelier

MATERIALS:
– Yarn
– School Glue
– Corn Starch
– Vaseline
– Dowel rod/pole for hanging
– Scissors
– Balloons
– Bowl for Mixing

Step by Step INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Blow up Balloons:
I wanted various sized yarn chandeliers so I chose to incorporate a large punching balloon as my main focal point and added standard balloons for the surrounding areas.  I only blew the standard balloons to approximately half capacity to keep as true of a circular shape as possible.

balloons and yarn

2. Assemble work space:
Place a long pole or dowel rod between two chairs to create a DIY ‘drying station’.  I highly recommend placing a plastic trash bag or disposable plastic tablecloth underneath where you will hang the balloons.  I initially began this project outdoors, however wind became a factor and I was forced to relocate (not easy).

3. Attach balloons to rod:
Tie yarn around the stem of the balloon and hang from the dowel rod.  Be sure that the balloon is suspended and not touching the surrounding balloons.

balloons on a rod

4. Petroleum Jelly:
Cover each balloon in a light coating of petroleum jelly.  This ensures that the yarn will not stick to the balloon once it is dried and popped.

5. Mixing & Dipping:
Mix the school glue (about half of the bottle) with approx. 1/2 cup of cornstarch and approx. 1/4 cup of water.  I estimated these amounts and added more cornstarch and glue when desiring a thicker paste consistency.

Dip the yarn into the glue mixture, squeeze out excess, and begin wrapping around the balloon vertically and then switch to horizontally.  Once you have covered a good part of your balloon, cut the yarn and tie to a surrounding piece.  I chose to do this near the stem of the balloon so it would not be as obvious when hanging.

6. Drying/Popping:
Allow yarn chandeliers to hang for 24 hours in a dry, covered area.  Do not attempt to shorten this process!

Next, pop the balloon (this is where I held my breath in anticipation).  The yarn will also have dried glue crystals however they easily flake off when tapped.

DIY Yarn Ball Chandelier Tutorial

Now your yarn chandeliers are ready to hang! I used mine for my Whimsical Winter Wonderland photo shoot and then hung them in my children’s playroom for a fun pop of color!

whimsical wonderland dessert table with forest creatures

Photography of the final product by: SweetBee Photography

117 responses to “DIY Tutorial: Creative Yarn Chandelier”

1. HiLLjO says:

Kind of in love with this!!! I might use some jute cording and make some rustic cozy-home ones!

2. LOVE these, Nicolle!! So cute!!! :)

3. I love these – such a great idea. How did you hang them from your ceiling? My husband would freak out about tacks in the ceiling, but I can’t think of another way.

4. Hi Jennifer! I actually just taped them to the ceiling with packaging tape. They are very light and the tape didn’t leave a mark.

5. DeAnna says:

I love this! I’m thinking that when I make these that I will try to tint the glue mixture with food coloring (like for icing) to match the yarn colors. That way I don’t have to worry so much about the dried glue crystals. It would drive me crazy to get every little bit of them off if they were white.

6. Valerie says:

Oh, my. LOVE these! I am so doing this a my next party. I have shared this at thecraftersfilebox.com. Thanks so much for the amazing idea!

7. I am in love with this! I have been looking for some easy, budget friendly room decor ideas for my daughter’s playroom and this is perfect! What fun!

8. Cathy says:

I remember making these as a very young child with a neighbor lady only we used embroidery floss and starch. After they dried we added glitter and gems and what ever else shiny. Fun fun! Thanks for the memories and up-dated version. :0)

9. tera says:

I love this! I think I’m going to have to try it. Are they stiff enough that you could make them and put them in a bowl?

10. debiperry says:

I just made these last night my sister’s 40th birthday party, which was tonight (procrastinate much?). My sister owns a yarn shop, and many of her guests were patrons and friends from the shop, so this was perfect! I made the first few with yellow and turquoise yarn I bought, then made several more in different colors by just adding acrylic paint directly to the glue mixture to color white yarn I had on hand.

They were a huge hit, and even the colors of my hand-dyed ones were very saturated, bright, and fun! Thanks!

11. Michelle says:

I love these! I think I will do a version of these for the table decor at my Winter Party later this month. It’ll also be a great way for me to use up some super fine white baby yarn I am not going to use for anything else. Thanks for the idea!

12. Nikki says:

LOVE this!! Do they last for a while or do they lose their shape? I’d love to decorate the girls’ rooms too.

13. As soon as I saw these, I immediately thought BALLOONS! I recently made chocolate bowls with inflated balloons. I love this idea to make yarn chandeliers.

14. Aisha says:

Love it! Another item for my party {to-do list}

15. I love these yarn spheres! They’re modern yet have an almost cozy-rustic element to them!

16. Ahhh! I’m so sorry I pasted another website in my previous comment by mistake! D: That’s what happens when you’re saving wedding blog links for later I guess XP

17. Love, LOVE the yarn tips! Thank you for posting. Beyond cute. =)

18. ali says:

Very cool idea!

19. Love the colors. I might try to this one day. :-)

20. shawntel says:

OMG! I love this! I recently got engaged and am going over so many creative ideas I can do myself as well as offer to clients through my event planning company and this is soooo cool and sooo easy!

Great post!

21. Yamileth Sánchez says:

Me encanta la inspiración en las fiestas, me gusta todo lo que hacen felicitaciones. Por favor en español Un beso

22. Heather says:

LOVE THIS!!! I am in charge of decorating for a huge baby shower on a tiny budget–this will fit the bill! Talk about maximizing impact with minimum cost; excellent!

23. kayla says:

So i think these are the cutest things ever. I wanted to make them for my sons Yo! Gabba Gabba party this weekend. Well i just attempted and needless to say i am covered in vaseline and glue, and no pretty yarn balls :( Im having difficulty wrapping the yarn around. Especially the bigger ones. Tips? Or am i just not crafty enough?! help!

24. angelaangeline says:

How did you attach them to the wall? Did you tape the hanging thread to the ceiling?

25. Malia says:

Mahalo for sharing!

26. Miranda says:

I just made 20 of these. What a pain!!! Once I figured out all the tricks it was easier. But it took almost 3 hours! I hope they turn out as cute as these!

• Jane says:

Would you be willing to share your tricks so I don’t have to spend 3 hours re learning them? :)

27. LANIE says:

Is there anything to substitute for petroleum jelly? like cooking spray ect?

28. Gabriela says:

I wonder if you could make a hole big enough to string a lighting cord kit through it. These would make an awesome group on hanging lights.

29. Nicole says:

Love these, can’t wait to try them for my daughters first birthday!

30. naomi says:

Hi Nicolle, I really like your idea of these yarn balls. I tried making these tonight, and had a hard time keeping the yarn on the balloons. Do you have any ideas for me? Want to make them for my daughters baby shower on the 18Th of Feb.
    Naomi

• Hi Naomi- I am so sorry to be replying so late. I had not been checking this as I should. So many people have emailed me about the chandeliers that I forget to come back to the actual tutorial that made this oh so popular. Anyway, I am hoping you were able to solve the issue before your daughter’s shower. I initially had this problem too and would then just start wrapping vertically and horizontally around the balloon to try and create more of a ‘hold’ with the yarn. Let me know how it turned out. Best of luck!

31. Kate says:

These are so cute and an inexpensive bang for the buck. Am trying to decorate for a fashion show fundraiser and every penny counts! I tried them last night and was a bit surprised when I came back from making another glue batch the balloon had popped and all the yarn was in a heap on the floor. So…I tried again…same thing! As it is drying the balloon pops! I noticed that the mixture gets a bit hot (like a chemical reaction?) but is that what is making the balloons pop? What am I doing wrong???

• Hmmm– I have never heard this before. Now, I had a few pop but that was because I put a heater in the room to try and speed up the drying process (big no no), but it sounds like your mixture was already generating heat. Did you happen to wrap the balloon too tight? Once the yarn dries, it shrinks and could have caused the balloon to pop. I am sorry to hear this especially since you are trying so hard! Let me know if you tried again and if I can offer any other suggestions. Happy to try and help.

32. Sam says:

Do i cut the yarn in strips or is it just one long peice?

• Hi Sam- one long strip. This is the challenge and why it is helpful to ask someone to assist, if you can. I unraveled a bunch of yarn and would dip it into the mixture, squeeze out excess and then wrap. However, if you had an extra set of hands they could feed the yarn into the mixture and you could pull the yarn out and wrap. I know it sounds tricky but it can be done. I did this alone on a windy day in my garage. I am not saying it was a walk in the park but the result is worth it, I promise! Let me know if you have any more questions. I am happy to help.

33. evasanteford says:

Thinking of doing this instead of tissue paper poms in baby-on-the-way’s nursery. Will flakes continue to shed or does it eventually stop? They’d be hanging over her crib so just wondering. Thanks!

Even if they aren’t used in the nursery, they will be a MUST for the baby shower!

• So sorry.. I need to be checking this more often! If it were me I probably would not hang over the crib just because if the little glue crystals did ‘shed’ it would be another reason to worry since it is impossible to remove every little one. However, I think they would look darling hanging in a corner with varying lengths. I used mine to create a little scenery in a corner “book nook” where the kids can relax on beanbags and read. An easy way ti brighten a room. Good luck and email me if you have any questions.

34. Erin says:

Love this idea! We are making 3 different shades of purple to decorate the ceiling along with orange parasols for a chic baby shower!!!! Thanks so much for the idea!!!!!!! My 12 year old and I are having fun with these making different designs on the balloons with the yarn. My son is having fun with a water balloon size chandelier too! :)

35. nabilahyen says:

How do i add glitter to it???

36. Cate Holst says:

How lovely! I can’t wait to make this

37. kirsty says:

Awesome! I am doing them for my daughters “cat in the hat” themed room. Is there anything i can use instead of vaseline (petroleum jelly)?

• Hi Kirsty,
      I am not so sure. I was hesitant to try it without since I knew I would be mad at myself if I went through all of the steps only for the yarn to adhere to the balloon. Maybe try a lotion of some sort? Just a thought… good luck!

38. Chamila says:

Hi, i wanted to know about how much is 1/2 bottle of school glue? Im from another country and we have glue in various types of bottles. If i could get a rough estimate in ‘ml’, it would help.
    Also after reading some reviews, am feeling scared to tackle this simple project but which finally seems harder (since it requires one extra pair of hands if possible or we must struggle with the wrapping around the balloon). What is really hard and what can ease it if possible? thanks
    :) Chamila from Mauritius (island in the Indian Ocean)

39. Amazing! This is such a great party decor idea. So beautiful and fun!