29 Aug

Chewy Blueberry-Oatmeal Cookies {Recipe}

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

I made these Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies over the weekend and have probably already eaten half the batch, which I felt guilty about until a sweet Twitter follower reminded me that both blueberries AND oatmeal are good for your heart. Score! Yes… I know that doesn’t exactly make these fall into the “health food” category, but it’s gotta be more innocent than the chocolate chip version we usually make around here, right? =)

And getting back to the taste buds… these really ARE yummy! They have all the sweetness of oatmeal cookies with a refreshing hint of blueberry muffin goodness. I baked some of them for about 12 mins and they came out a little undercooked (not complaining at all about that though!) – and others for about 15 mins and they were more cake-y… so you can bake them to be what you like.

And now… onto the pictorial & recipe, starting with what you need:

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

Most of these ingredients are probably already in your pantry: eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, oil, butter, flour, salt, baking soda, old fashioned oats, and then the blueberries of course!

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

Start by beating the sugar, butter, and oil… it will be slightly lumpy, but will smooth out once you beat in the eggs and vanilla (which is next).

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients: oats, flour, baking soda, and salt…

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

Pour dry mixture into wet mixture. (It will be easiest/less messy if you pour half the dry ingredients in first, combine that, then pour the rest in…)

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

Already looking tasty… isn’t oatmeal cookie dough the best? Something about the added texture even kicks it up a notch from regular chocolate chip cookie dough…

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

Finally, fold in the blueberries, a little at a time.

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

I started out with a spoon but quickly discovered that mixing by hand was much more effective/efficient…

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

Drop large spoonfuls onto cookie, sheets, and bake for 12-15 mins, depending on your oven/cookie firmness preference.

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

And you’re done – ENJOY! That part of the instructions should be especially easy to follow. =) Remember to pat yourself on the back for doing something good by eating both blueberries and oatmeal in one sitting. *wink*

Oatmeal Blueberry Cookie Recipe

(originally discovered at Dinner with Julie & doubled below)

– 1/2 cup butter, softened
– 1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups packed brown sugar
– 2 large eggs
– 1 tsp. vanilla
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 3 cups cups old-fashioned oats
2 tsp.= baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
– 2 cups (or so) fresh blueberries

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Beat the butter, oil and brown sugar until creamy; beat in the egg and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt, then pour this dry mixture into the wet ingredients, a little at a time until fully combined. Finally, add the blueberries and mix well. Drop large spoonfuls on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown around the edges but still soft in the middle.

Makes about 2.5 dozen cookies.

Comments 17

jenn s.

Founder & Creative Director see full profile

Aimee SAYS:

The look heavenly, Thank you for the recipe.

Reply August 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Laura SAYS:

What a yummy alternative to raisins! About that guilt thingy, I’ve started using plain unsweetened applesauce to replace the fat in baked goods and nobody can tell the difference! Off to bake!!

Reply August 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Deb Franz Currie SAYS:

Just made a batch and half didn’t make it to the oven the hubby is devouring the dough. He’s dubbing them “Blueberry Crisp Cookies” cause they taste like crisp!

Reply August 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm

CIndy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor SAYS:

Beautiful photography for what looks like very delicious cookies. May just have to whip up a batch. Thanks for the recipe!

Reply August 29, 2011 at 4:57 pm

yo gabba gabba bowl SAYS:

This look perfect and I have no doubt that it tastes the same, I’m on my way to try it out.

Reply August 30, 2011 at 2:36 am

MonogrammedEverything.com! SAYS:

Ummm Yummy!!! Can’t wait to make these!

Reply September 1, 2011 at 6:22 am

Mindy SAYS:

mMM I’ll have to try!

Reply September 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Katibeth SAYS:

I’M IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply September 2, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Ashleigh Dorfman, CSEP of posh parties, LLC SAYS:

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I made a batch of cookies this weekend for a picnic – and received rave reviews, even from my girls.

Reply September 5, 2011 at 7:45 am

They look delicious and blueberries are my son’s favorite! Do you think they’d work with frozen blueberries as well? And also if I used whole wheat flour instead of white? Thanks!!

Reply September 6, 2011 at 5:37 am

Tabby Toys SAYS:

Lovely cookies. This will gonna be a big surprise for my kids went they get home. Thanks for the recipe.

Reply September 14, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Doll Buy SAYS:

This recipe is delightful! Thank you for sharing! I guess you could use any other fruits in this recipe if you;re all out of blueberries…

Reply September 16, 2011 at 1:33 am

Rachelle SAYS:

Just made these this morning to have with breakfast. They were wonderful! My only suggestion would be to use Reynolds non-stick foil under them as some of the blueberries popped and would have stuck pretty badly. So good. Thanks!

Reply September 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

Cory SAYS:

I have a recipe very similar! It uses boxed muffin mix with the can of blueberries! I actually like this idea better because you are controlling the sodium and preservatives better! The worst part about making these is I love to eat the dough raw as I’m making them! They are THE BEST cookies! {Btw, I love your countertop – it makes me miss our home we had to sell because of my husband’s job relocation. Not that I need help missing it! ;-) }

Reply September 18, 2011 at 8:11 am

Kimberly SAYS:

I just finished a batch of these. They are amazing. The only tip I can pass along is to make sure there aren’t too many blueberries in one cookie. It won’t hold together. Thanks for the recipe!

Reply March 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm