The Very Hungry Caterpillar {Birthday Party}

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Party

As a “new-ish” mom myself (15 month old daughter + one on the way), The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle feels extra near and dear these days. Of course I remember it from my own childhood, but Macy already loves it too… and there’s just something so fantastic about seeing your kid’s face light up at the very sight of a book!

So when Hana from Hana Lynch Photography sent in this ADORABLE Very Hungry Caterpillar themed birthday party that she created for her daughter’s 3rd birthday, I was instantly smitten! Parent or not though, I think pretty much anyone can appreciate the sweetness of this creative little party…from the amazing caterpillar cake to the book-inspired tags and treats (which give a great excuse to incorporate FRUIT, as opposed to just sweets!). *wink*

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Party

Read on for more adorable images + all the creative party details…

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Party

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Party

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Party

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Party

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Party

PARTY DETAILS, as told by Hana

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is my daughter Ella’s favorite book, so it was the perfect, sweet theme for her 3rd birthday party!

The great thing about this party theme is that it can be done on a very small budget. Colorful fruit was a large part of the table display and the food labels were made by scanning the characters directly from my daughters book and creating simple tags using toothpicks to hold them in place! Whole pieces of fruit made the perfect stands for the tags, which narrated the caterpillars food choices across the party table.

The tablecloth was simply a 2 1/2 yard cut of fabric with serged edges. I bought the lemonade dispenser at my local Hobby Lobby and the colorful cardboard straws were an etsy find.

Each child was given a tin of Caterpillar Food (aka M&Ms) to take home. The tins were actually leftover from my own baby shower (the same ones can be found here), and I created the labels by printing the Caterpillar on card stock and punching the circles out with a circle punch that can be found at any craft store.

The yellow paper lanterns above the party table were purchased at Hobby Lobby and the green ones were found at Amazon. The incredible cake was made by a friend of mine!

I took all the photographs myself.”

43 responses to “The Very Hungry Caterpillar {Birthday Party}”

1. Beautiful job! I love the smile on her face! She is adorable! The cake is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

2. Jessica says:

This seems so accessible – not only to recreate but for the kids attending. Kudos.

3. So simple and lovely. I agree with the above post – so accessible.

4. {Alysia} Prost to the Host says:

I love this book and so does my little guy. The food details are too much!

5. This is fabulous, what a great way to work the fruit into the theme.

6. Cynthia says:

I’m more than smitten! This is really cool.

7. The Party Wall says:

Wow! I love this table!! This theme this so near and dear to my heart–my son’s first birthday was also inspired by The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

8. Very creative! A healthy alternative to a dessert table, love it!

9. Summer Jones says:

Totally adorable! Will save this idea! Would be super cute as a baby shower too!!

10. SO ADORABLE! we love Eric Carle in my house… that cake is stunning… so authentic!

11. ShanaM says:

Really love the party!!

12. ShanaM says:

Really LOVE this party

13. Novelyn says:

So sweet. Love the cake. The food labels are great!

14. The cake is wonderful.. and of course so is the book! Thanks for the great post.

15. Dee says:

So sweet! The cake is fantastic.

16. katrina says:

Congrads Jen! I don’t think I realized you are pregnant! This party is lovely.. my girls would love it too :D

17. Beth shirley says:

I really want to be a part of this party. Sign me up

18. Rene' says:

Fabulous! Fabulous!! Love every inch of it!! Stunning photos too!

19. Love this book!! Check out this baby shower that was also based on the Hungry Caterpillar: http://www.supermommoments.com/2011/04/hungry-caterpillar/

20. Cathy Johnstone says:

Love your caterpillar party!
    Can you share how the caterpillar atop the cake was created?
    Thx!

21. ADORABLE! I love the fruit instead of sweets :)

22. Kim says:

Awwww, what a beautiful birthday party!

23. Holly says:

I will be helping a dear friend throw this very themed party for her little boys’ frist birthday! We are doing all the food tags and I am making sugar cookies in the shape of the caterpillar! Thanks for posting this….it gave me a few more ideas!! :)

24. pang says:

how did you make the fruit design on the cake?? awsome

25. Sarah Hill says:

All of your stuff is beautiful. . so creative and beautifully displayed! Great photography too:) You give me inspiration to throw my best friend a wonderful baby shower for her twins on the way!

26. esther says:

did your friend stick real pictures from the book on the cake? and how?

27. cindy walker says:

This is such an awesome idea and such lovely colors and food ideas.
    Thanks so much

28. Krista says:

I will be doing this for my own hungry caterpillar’s first birthday later this month. Thanks so much for the help, ideas and inspiration!

29. Katy Mulligan says:

Hello, I’m planning to throw my daughter a Very Hungry Caterpillar themed birthday and I was wondering where you purchased the tags and labels for everything. If you could please e-mail me with the information, I would greatly appreciate it.

30. Holly says:

Help! So want to do this party for my little girl! Also as a once kindergarten teacher this is awesome! Where do I order the stickers to put on top of the tins and where do I order the fruit signs? Thanks!!!

31. Debbie Harris says:

Thanks for all these GREAT ideas! I am having a BabyShower for my DIL…and this is going to be the theme! Can’t wait to get started! Thanks again!

32. Dana says:

I LOVE the entire party, looks amazing. I really admire the food labels that you did, and have been looking to do something very similar for my little ones first birthday. Where did you get the graphics or how did you do them?

• Genesis says:

I am having difficulty finding labels, as well. If you find them, please be sure to share. :)

• Hana says:

Hi, I made the food and candy labels myself by actually scanning the graphics from my daughter’s book and adding wording in photoshop.

33. What a great party. Thanks for all of the inspiration for helping me plan my son’s VHC party too. Check out my blog for pictures.

34. Leighann says:

This is Gorgeous!!
    Love every single little detail

35. Genesis says:

I LOVE your ideas! I am having my son’s first birthday party at the end of the month and plan on doing this theme. I am having a difficult time finding labels for the food. Yours are adorable! Where did you find the story to print the labels? Was it online or scanned? If you have the file, would you mind sending it to me via email?

36. Ann-Marie says:

How did your friend make the caterpillar that sits atop the cake? And was it edible?

37. tay says:

alanas 1st birthday

38. Heather says:

Love all you did! Could you tell me where you got the pictures for the “On Monday he ate through one apple…”. I am trying to do this for my son’s first birthday party and am having a hard time finding such great pics. Thanks!

39. eileen says:

loved the fruit tags on the table. where did you get those from?