Cindy of LOL Letterpress is back with an absolutely ADORABLE 3-dimensional kids party invite tutorial with an “Under the Sea” theme. (This would also work great for a beach party theme!)
From the graphic design to the towel wraps to the adorable bath toy embellishment, this party already looks like a good time… and it would be hard not to smile from the moment you open it when you’re greeted with a happy little creature like this, right?! You can also buy really inexpensive hand towels for the wraps in bulk at Target & Walmart. If you’ve got the time go the extra mile on an invitation, this is a great way to make a big impact on your guests right from the start!
Read on for step-by-step details & images + vendor resources…
DIY Tutorial: Pool Party Birthday Invitation
by Cindy Taylor of LOL Letterpress
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
– Square box, 6”x6”x3.5” in craft shown above
– Hand towel, approximately 16”x26”
– Bath toy, preferably BPA-free
– Birthday invitation, 5”x5” square
– Blue papers
– 2” hole punch
– ¾” hole punch
– Drinking cup
– Adhesive (or Xyron 5” Creative Station shown here)
LET’S GET STARTED:
1. Start off by laying your hand towel on a flat surface.
2. Fold the top third of the towel lengthwise towards the center.
3. Fold the bottom 1” of the towel lengthwise towards the center.
4. Insert your pre-made invitation card in the center of the folded towel.
5. Fold the bottom of the towel upwards until it covers about half of your invitation card. I like to leave at least the birthday girl/boy’s name uncovered.
6. Turn the towel and card over.
7. Fold the left third of the towel towards the center.
8. Fold the right third of the towel towards the center and tuck the end under.
9. Turn the towel and card right-side up and insert into the box.
10. Place the bath toy on top of the towel.
11. Cut out a circle using your drinking cup as a template. This larger circle will be used as a mailing label for your box.
12. Punch a few ¾” and 2” circles. These will be used as your return address label and decoration.
13. Handwrite or print your mailing and return addresses.
14. Use your adhesive of choice to stick your labels onto the front of your box (or if you have the handy-dandy Xyron sticker machine, I used their permanent adhesive).
15. Smile in content knowing your guests will rave over your super cute birthday invites!
LOL Letterpress is a premier design studio and letterpress print shop that specializes in creating innovative and stylish stationery goods while practicing green principles from concept to completion.
San Diego-based engineer, designer, and owner Cindy Taylor loves touching her clients’ lives by translating emotion onto paper. Inspired by her own family history, Cindy founded LOL Letterpress in 2008 after stumbling upon the wedding invitations of her great-grandparents. This beautifully handwritten card proclaimed their love and demonstrated a unique personality all their own. When planning her own nuptial announcements, Cindy uncovered a skill for creating smart design with a touch of the unexpected. Her love for letterpress blossomed when she was gifted a meticulously restored 1890 Chandler & Price platen press from her husband on their one-year (paper) anniversary. Armed with a discerning eye, a devotion to contemporary design, a conscious effort towards eco-living, and strength in her craft, Cindy and her team take utmost pride in creating timeless pieces to commemorate life’s most joyous occasions.