18 May

{Recipe} The Best Frosted Sugar Cookies*

Frosted Sugar Cookie Recipe

When I was in the 4th grade, my class put together a cookbook as a fundraiser. Everyone submitted recipes from their friends and family, and the illustrations for the chapter dividers and front/back covers were all done by the members of my class… so of course it was a true work of art *wink*… at least to our mothers!

One thing that is arguably a work of art in the kitchen though… the sugar cookie recipe that I first discovered in that book! I honestly can’t remember who originally submitted it and it seems that what I’d thought was a “beloved” cookbook was somehow a casualty of one of our moves growing up (hmmm…), but I started making these little gems regularly around the 6th grade for school functions, friends’ birthdays, holidays, etc… and it kind of became one of my “things”. MANY years later… I can’t tell you how many of my jr. high and high school friends still come out of the woodwork on facebook around the holidays or their kids’ birthdays and ask for “the sugar cookie recipe“. “THE” is all the description that I need to know what they’re talking about. =)

Frosted Sugar Cookie Recipe

I think it’s finally time to post about these – so that instead of countless emails the recipe will be easily accessible in one spot. It’s really a “back to basics” recipe… eggs, sugar, flour, BUTTER… but the secrets to making them great are the cook time (you almost want them undercooked so they’re super soft), and GENEROUS amounts of frosting. No skimping with this one!

Frosted Sugar Cookie Recipe

{*in my own humble opinion}

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400º.
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl & set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until mixed well. Add the dry ingredients in slowly & mix well. Chill for at least an hour to stiffen the dough. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin & cut shapes with cookie cutters OR form dough balls and flatten into thick circles with your hands.

Bake 8-10 mins or until just the edges of cookies start to turn a very, very light golden brown. Don’t over-bake. For an extra-doughy consistency, remove the cookies before the edges start to brown.

1/3 cup butter, melted
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 Tbsp milk
1 egg yolk (optional)
5-6 cups powdered sugar (thicken to desired consistency)
food coloring

Whisk butter, vanilla, milk and egg yolk together. Slowly mix in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until the frosting reaches your desired consistency. If it gets too thick, add more milk in very small amounts, about 1 tsp at a time.

MaryAnne SAYS:

I can not wait to make these! I would make them tomorrow and let you know how it goes!! Thanks for sharing:)

Reply August 26, 2011 at 10:10 am

Sarah Beck-Furbee SAYS:

Do these cookies freeze well?

Reply September 2, 2011 at 4:39 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Sarah –
I’ve only frozen them unfrosted before, so I’m honestly not sure about how well they’d do with the frosting, but without frosting they did freeze well :)

September 2, 2011 at 5:42 am

Sarah SAYS:

Hi. This recipe looks delicious! I am planning to make these cookies for a holiday party later this week. Just wondering about how many cookies it makes though? I am sure it depends on the size of the cookie but any estimate would help me know if I should double the recipe or not. Thanks so much!!

Reply December 20, 2011 at 7:48 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Sarah –
You’re right in that it depends on the size of the cookie. I’d say this makes about 24 medium-sized round sugar cookies, give or take a few. If you want to be on the safe side and need to serve a lot of people I’d double the recipe. Pretty sure the “extras” won’t go to waste! ;)

December 21, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Elizabeth SAYS:

Just took these to my daughter’s first grade class to RAVE reviews! It is a keeper…also I did not chill the dough and they rolled and cut out fine. Thanks for sharing!

Reply January 26, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Megan SAYS:

The cookies are good, but the frosting is terrible! I followed the recipe exactly…I’m not sure why everyone says these are so good? Would be great cookies with a different frosting.

Reply February 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Jeanna Scott SAYS:

Colors so bright and beautiful as the recipes are. Excited to make the cookies and “more”.

Reply February 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Michelle Huante SAYS:

Hi! I was wondering how many cookies the recipe was for?

Reply April 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Michelle – It really depends on what size you make the cookies. I think I usually get 20-24 out of the recipe though.

April 5, 2012 at 8:02 am

jessica SAYS:

I have made these a couple of times before with great success (once for my dentist who went out of his way to tell me how amazing they were), and just now nearly had a heart attack when I thought I couldn’t find the recipe online! It doesn’t get any better than a simple recipe like this that really showcases premium ingredients. Thank you so much!

Reply July 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm

shannon SAYS:

I got this recipe off a different website (Annie’s Eats), and when I noticed in the bottom it said, adapted from..(your blog) I HAD to come over and thank you for posting this recipe. Honestly, the **best** sugar cookies I’ve ever had. My husband hates sugar cookies, and he loves these :)

Reply August 1, 2012 at 4:34 am

Latrice Brauckman SAYS:

best sugar cookie recipe I have ever found!

Reply November 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm

breezy alloway SAYS:

i love this cute website of yours

Reply November 17, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Sommer SAYS:

just dropping by to tell you that I saw these on pintrest and they looked sooooooo good, I am making some right now! my sister wanted the canned frosting, so for a little bit of flavor for myself i used some jello mix! all i did was boil water like normal, add the water to the jello mix, and whisked it for a few mins. then after it cooled, i added it to some of the canned frosting and whipped it up and ohh my its sooooo good! definitely glad i found this!

Reply November 26, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Patricia Duncan SAYS:

Reply November 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Sana SAYS:

Hi. These look really good! Really want to try them. Can you tell me whether you used granulated sugar or castor? I live in Pakistan and the granulated sugar we have here has big granules, should I crush it into castor sugae?

Thanks, =)

Reply December 12, 2012 at 7:32 am

Jennie SAYS:

When I made them, they came out really oily/buttery and not at all cake like. :(

Reply January 7, 2013 at 10:33 am