17 May

Macy’s {Colorful} Birthday Parade – Part 2

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

So……I blogged the first part of my daughter’s first birthday party a few weeks ago and had every intention of posting the rest a few days later, and then life {and work} just kept getting in the way! I’ve come to realize that I’m going to have to blog this in pieces in order to get the rest of the party up since there are a gazillion+1  photos to go through and I still have yet to find that elusive time-freezing mechanism. =)

So without further delay, here’s Part 2 of Macy’s Colorful Birthday Parade: The KIDS TABLE and FAVOR TABLE. I went a little nuts with the labels and signage in general at her party (because that’s the part I love working on the most!)… and they’re all available on Hostess Ink! You’ll find Juice Box Wraps, and Birthday Banners, Custom Address Labels, Custom Tent Cards & a BLUE VERSION

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

Macy's First Birthday Parade - Birthday Party

KIDS TABLE
For the it was all about keeping things casual and colorful!
I rented an aqua blue linen for our 6-ft table and added a “table runner” which was really just folded yellow & white striped fabric from IKEA.

Place settings consisted of square aqua & red paper plates topped with yellow and pink napkins (all from Party City). I designed 4 different paper napkin rings that matched the theme, wrapped one around each napkin, and slipped a colorful plastic forks underneath. (The napkin rings are customizeable and will be available for purchase in the HWTM section at Polka Dot Design on May 31st.)

At the top of each place setting sat a juice box and a bottle of bubbles. I designed labels for Mixed Berry and Fruit Punch flavors. (Scroll down for download links.) All you need to do is remove the straw from the juice box, wrap the label around the box and secure with tape or glue, then stick the straw back onto the wrapped box. We used glue dots to secure the straws to the side of each box.

6-ft tables are pretty narrow, so for the “centerpiece” of the table I just added a garland of yarn poms to the top of the table runner. We made tons of yarn poms for the party and used a 2.5″ Clover Pom Maker to churn them out quick! More Yarn garlands hung overhead, in 2 directions above the kids table.

FAVOR TABLE
The “favor bags” actually started out empty… because the “favors” were actually sprinkled all around the party! The kids filled the bags with sweets from the treat tables (lollipops, pixie stix, animal cookies, meringue cookies & flavored popcorn), the bubbles from their place settings, and sparkly star-shaped sunglasses and fuzzy mustache stickers that were set out on our coffee table for everyone to grab for pictures! I purchased the paper bags at Michaels and designed some favor tags (also coming soon to Polka Dot Design) to stick on the front.

…Stay tuned for more details, including the photo props, dessert table & RAINBOW smash cake in Part 3! Which will be posted as soon as humanly possible =)

SHOP FOR CUSTOM & PRINTED CIRCUS BIRTHDAY PARADE PRINTABLES:

pink birthday parade party printables collection

blue birthday parade party printables collection

36Comments

Fernanda SAYS:

Lovely!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

May 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Jen ~ Passion-for-Parties.com SAYS:

The colors are so bright and cheery! Fun! :)

May 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Tori SAYS:

The yarn pom garland was a great touch :).

May 17, 2011 at 4:31 pm

liz suarez SAYS:

Love it!

May 17, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Rowaida Flayhan SAYS:

So beautiful and so colorful, amazing job Jenn, love love it.

May 17, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Jeana SAYS:

YAY for Part 2 and free printables! I loved the colors from your first post and had already decided to use those colors for my daughters inflatable birthday party, its rainbow and goes with the 5 inflatables she will have at her party! Thanks so much for sharing its such a GORGEOUS and CREATIVE party!

May 18, 2011 at 5:11 am

whatever DeeDee Wants SAYS:

Love this party! It’s so bright and colorful, what’s not to love?

May 18, 2011 at 6:49 am

CreativeBusyHand SAYS:

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 4 post on May. 18, 2011. Thanks again.

May 18, 2011 at 7:29 am

Nicole Kidd SAYS:

Thanks so much for sharing all your ideas and the beautiful graphic art pieces!!! I will be using them for my daughters carnival party!

May 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm

lea SAYS:

Thank you so much!

May 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Mae SAYS:

I love the bursting colors. You did a wonderful job!

May 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Abby Barnett SAYS:

You are SO talented. This is by FAR one of the best children’s birthday designs I have EVER seen. Lovely use of color and absolutely inspirational!!!

May 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Deidre SAYS:

Sooo cute! I also love the elephants on the table; where did you get them?

May 19, 2011 at 12:12 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

HomeGoods :)

June 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

heather SAYS:

Love, Love, LOVE!

My little girl Moxie Mae turns 1 in August and I am in the process of making tons of pom poms for a wreath for the front door. I would love to make a garland as well. How did you string them along?

Thanks

May 21, 2011 at 9:37 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Heather –

I literally just used a big needle + fishing wire and poked the needles through each pom to thread and string them along :)

June 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Jen SAYS:

Hi there! I love this party idea! Can I ask how you create all these great prints and fonts? Do you use a special software program to create the signs, etc? I am interested in party planning and would love any help you could give me. Thanks!
Jen

May 24, 2011 at 10:22 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Jen –

Just now seeing your comment – sorry! I do all the design for the signs, etc in Adobe Photoshop though. Illustrator is really useful too – they’re both part of the Adobe Creative Suite (CS) collection.

Cheers,
Jenn :)

June 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Lyrva SAYS:

How or what do you use to cut the banners so perfectly? Its so nice and even that I can’t imagine it being plain old scissors.

June 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Lyrva – It really is just plain old scissors ;) Honestly leaving a white border around the design makes it very hard to tell it’s imperfect. It would be harder to mask if you actually cut along the edges of the design and tried to remove the white. It’s definitely not perfect – promise! – but you honestly can’t tell unless you’re really close. It always works fine for me to do it this way, and I’m pretty picky about aesthetics :)

June 8, 2011 at 2:26 pm

cathy SAYS:

I’m totally speachless…I’m having a circus/carnival birthday party for my daughter on saturday and was looking for some inspirations to finish up the decor. This is AMAZING. One question…I LOVE you for the freebies, but is there a way I can purchase the animals?

June 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Sarah SAYS:

I am dying over how adorable these designs are! I would love to know where the remaining printables are for download! Are they for sale anywhere??

June 29, 2011 at 11:25 am

monica SAYS:

the printables for the animals.. are they available for printing?

July 19, 2011 at 7:48 am

Laura SAYS:

Jenn! I am in love with this! I am planning to use it for my daughter Emerson’s first brithday and I was wondering if you’re able to put up the “Thanks” flags you made or even just pages of the designs, like the bubbles/stripes? I would love to make my own touches out of those!

August 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Thanks, Laura! I uploaded a bunch of different free printables throughout 4 different recaps – you can find them all here: http://blog.hwtm.com/tag/birthday-parade/

And you can download the paper patterns in 11×17 sheets here: http://www.sbrantidesign.com/hwtm/BirthdayParade_Patterns.pdf I think with the “thanks flags” you’re talking about the ones tied to the elephants… and if so I just cut those freehand out of the paper patterns :)

August 8, 2011 at 6:51 am
Apologies, commenting is now disabled for this post.