Whimsical Dr. Seuss Inspired Birthday Party

Dr. Suess Birthday Party Ideas

I’m so excited to share this whimsical, fun, and downright ADORABLE Dr. Seuss themed birthday party with you today! There is SO much creative inspiration that can be drawn from Dr. Seuss, and Leslie did a great job bringing many of the playful characters and stories to life in the happy-go-lucky first birthday celebration that she created for her son Brenner.

Some of my favorite details include the blue feather-topped birthday hats, Cat in the Hat hat smash cake, delightfully crazy-looking “Beezlenut Splash” kids drink, bags of colorful popcorn, and of course all of the amazing signs, tags, and other party printables by Maureen of Anders Ruff!

Dr. Suess Birthday Party Ideas

Read on for lots more ADORABLE images, plus all the clever party details

PARTY DETAILS, as told by Leslie

INSPIRATION:
Ive always been a big fan of Dr. Seuss. So when I found out that I was having a boy, I knew that his nursery would HAVE to be done in Dr. Seuss! Then my dear friends decided to throw me a “Seuss” themed baby shower, where they displayed {as party décor} all the things that I could use in his nursery! With all that being said, I knew that there was no other theme that would be more fitting for Brenner’s first birthday party than Dr. Seuss! I love the Seuss book “Happy Birthday to you!” so I took that and ran with it.

PARTY PRINTABLES:
I contacted the wonderful Maureen from Anders Ruff and asked her if she could help me with some designs. She took the Seuss theme and turned it into something whimsical and AMAZING!!!

DECOR:
I had several tables set up around the room with different Seuss décor. Here’s a rundown:

Table 1 (located just inside the entry way) included the “Happy Birthday to You” book along with some bright colored pens and a cute sign asking guests to sign the book. I also framed one of the party invitations and displayed it on this table. (All signs were designed by Maureen.)

Table 2 included a sign with a cute poem inspired by Seuss’ “tooth book”. Along with the sign, I displayed two jars filled with tooth brushes that the guests could take home with them.

Table 3 included two round containers in colors that matched the theme. Inside one container was Seuss colored popcorn by Oh Goodies Designs. Inside the other container were party favors: small Seuss board books wrapped in printable patterned paper by Maureen. After wrapping the books I tied on red & natural colored raffia and included multi colored swirl lollipops purchased on Amazon and favor hang tags from Anders Ruff. On either side of the containers were feather-adorned party hats, which was a fun DIY project! Above this table was a ribbon wreath (another DIY project).

Table 4 included a sign asking the guests to guess how many candies were in a jar. Along with the sign, I displayed a mason jar full of “bird egg whoppers” and a “fish bowl” full of blue paper shred for the guests to put their guesses in. (I got this game idea off of a blog that I saw while searching for nursery ideas before Brenner was even born… I honestly couldn’t tell you the name of it… and haven’t been able to find it since.)

DESSERT TABLE
Included “WhoFoo Fluff on a stick” (marshmallow pops that I made with vanilla candy melts, sanding sugar, marshmallows, lollipop sticks, candy wrappers and ribbon). I displayed these as bouquets in four different glass vases that I decorated with printables and raffia. ABC’s of Seuss cookies were displayed along with “who cakes” with fondant cupcake toppers from Two Sugar Babies. Brenner’s Cat in the Hat smash cake was displayed in the center of this table. The cupcake tower was a cardboard tower that I purchased from Hobby Lobby and embellished with coordinating ribbon on each tier.

Above the dessert table I displayed a framed Dr. Seuss “Happy Birthday to You!” puzzle, two bouquets of balloons and a printable happy birthday banner. I also displayed an (adult size) Cat in the Hat hat below the puzzle…

FOOD TABLE
Three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwiches
(ham, turkey, cheese). Yertles caramel turtles (pretzels, rolos, pecans). Oodles of Noodles (pasta salad). A crumb that was even too small for a mouse (empty plate). Beezlenut splash (inspired by Ihop’s Horton Hears a Who special edition menu. Sprite, ice and colored jello). Pink ink yink drink (strawberry lemonade). I also displayed mini water bottles with printable beverage wraps (also by Maureen). Above this table hung a framed Dr. Seuss Fox in Socks puzzle.

KIDS TABLE
This table was set up so that the smaller guests had a place to sit and eat. I displayed Dr. Seuss “place mats” (printed off of PBS.org) and crayons to keep the kiddos occupied while the parents fixed their plates. I also provided the older children with red/blue cups with silly straws (Hobby Lobby) and put a name flag on each childs straw.

PHOTO BOOTH AREA
Outside the house on the front porch I hung a large piece of cardboard covered with the fabric used on dessert table and a printable door sign. This place was designated as a “photo booth” (Thanks again to Maureen for the idea!). I also placed a radio flyer wagon next to it filled with photo “props”: Cat in the Hat plush, gold fish plush… Thing 1 Thing 2 “boa”, Cat in the Hat hat for toddlers.”

MORE DETAILS:
– Each tot-sized guest was provided with a sippy cup. I decorated these with printable beverage wraps.

– Brenner’s high chair was decorated with printable balloon pennants (by Maureen).

– I placed balloon bouquets with the dessert, food, favor table and on Brenner’s high chair.

– I also placed random Dr. Seuss books on several of the tables.”

VENDOR CREDITS & RESOURCES:
– Photography: Jenny Collier Photography
– Graphic Design & Printables: Anders Ruff
– Cupcakes, Cookies & Smash Cake: Ashley Baker
– Popcorn Favors: Oh Goodies Designs
– Cupcake toppers: Two Sugar Babies
– Striped Containers, Silly Straw Cups,Ribbon, Raffia, Plates, Cupcake Tower, Striped Fabric: Hobby Lobby
– DIY projects were done with the help of my very talented friend Tasha
– Toothbrushes were donated by Chris McKinney, DDS (here in Tulsa)

144 responses to “Whimsical Dr. Seuss Inspired Birthday Party”

1. Beth says:

This is amazing! we are doing a dr.seuss theme for my sons first as well, where did you get the tags for the gift bags and the Wait! stop here and see (signing instructions for his book. You did such a great job!

• Leslie says:

Thank you Beth! All of the favor tags/signs/party logos were designed and customized for me by Maureen from AndersRuff. (the wording for that particular sign was inspired by a Seuss party that I found on another blog.)

2. Michelle says:

I was looking for ideas for my son’s coming 1st birthday and this is marvelous!!! Thanks for the awesome details!!!

3. Chris says:

That looks so awesome great work!

1st birthday party ideas

4. jenn says:

I love the banner where did you get that?

• Leslie says:

Jenn- thank you! the banner was part of a printable package that Maureen from AndersRuff designed for me.

5. Angie says:

what about the wall posters?

• Leslie says:

Those are actually framed floor puzzles. The one above the dessert table I purchased on zulily.com. The one above the food table was purchased at Barnes and Noble in the childrens section.

6. Mica says:

BEST PARTY EVER! So beautiful!
    I threw my students a party after we did a pollution lesson.
    I made cupcakes with blue frosting and a red Swedish fish
    on the top of each. They devoured them as I read The Lorax.
    I wish I could do an all out Dr. Seuss party!

I looked on the pbs website for those placemats and they are no
    longer there. You wouldn’t happen to have that pdf saved on your computer
    somewhere? :)

7. Leslie says:

Mica- thank you so much! If you go to http://www.PBS.org/parents there is a tab labeled ‘birthday parties’. They are located under that! Hope this helps!

8. immy says:

Beautiful party, how did you make those colorful popcorn?

• Leslie says:

I ordered those from ‘Oh Goodie Designs’. They were beautiful AND tasted great! ;)

9. Lauren says:

Leslie-I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your party and am going to steal a lot of ideas for my son’s first birthday! I really love the yellow and blue containers and can’t find anything like them. Do you remember where you found them? Thanks for sharing!

• leslie says:

Lauren- thank you so much! Are you referring to the striped containers? I stumbled across them on a clearance rack at Hobby Lobby. Hope that helps!

10. Melissa says:

I am sooo in love with all the ideas. I also had a Seuss baby shower and we have a Seuss nursery. Now Cashton is turning 1 in August so I am beginning to plan. Where did you get the “1” ones? I LOVE it and have not seen it anywhere. Thanks!

• melissa says:

* sorry, The “1” onesie.

• leslie says:

Thank you! The Seuss onesie was made by a friend of mine. She has an etsy shop called ‘SpicyCakes’. I’m sure she would love to make you one!

11. Lauren says:

I also like how you used the patterned paper to wrap the gifts. What kind of paper did you print that onto that worked so well?

• Leslie says:

Lauren- i used standard printer paper. The board books that I used for the favors, fit perfectly inside the 8.5″x11″ printer paper and I just wrapped it as I would any gift. Thanks for the compliments!

12. Laurel says:

Adorable!! I am planning a Dr. Seuss themed 1st birthday as well and you have inspired me.
    Could you tell me where you got the onsie that your son is wearing (with the 1 on it) I LOVE IT!

13. Laurel says:

Oops! I was just reading through your comments and found the answer to my question. Thanks!

14. Sharon says:

Hi Leslie,

I love the idea of wrapping boxes with the printable paper. What kind of paper did you use that covered the whole box and looked great?

• Leslie says:

Sharon- are you talking about the boxes on the dessert table? I actually used fabric to wrap those. I found the fabric at hobby lobby. The party favors were wrapped in the printable paper and it was just printed on standard printer paper.

15. Angela says:

Oh wow this is an amazing party! My daughter’s 1st bday is coming up and this is the theme I decided on and with some of your ideas our little girl’s birthday party will definitely be memorable!

16. Julie says:

Amazing party! I am throwing a Dr. Seuss party for my daughter’s 1st and getting so much inspiration from your party and Etsy. I’m new to crafts so I was hoping you could answer a couple questions? 1) Where did you get the red and white striped tablecloth? How did you print the files from Anders Ruff – do I just go to Kinko’s? I don’t have a color printer and I’m not sure what additional supplies I need after receiving the files.

Thanks!!

• Leslie says:

Julie- thank you so much! To answer your questions.. The tablecloth is actually just some fabric that I found at hobby lobby. I measured the table then bought the appropriate amount of fabric in yards. As far as the printing goes, I printed it all on my laser printer at home, but taking it to kinkos (or some place similar) is definitely an option. The file comes with detailed printing instructions. Good luck!!!!

17. ashley cruz says:

How did you make the beeznut splash?

18. Deanna Lane says:

Was the onesie made or can I order it?

• Leslie says:

It was made by a dear friend of mine. She has a shop on etsy. The shop is called spicycakes.

19. Amanda says:

You did an amazing job! I’m planning my daughter’s fourth party & this gave me soooo many good ideas, thanks for sharing :)

20. Mary B says:

Hi there! I was wondering how you made the onesie?
    If you could Email me that would be great!

Love the ideas!
    Mary

21. Mary B says:

Nevermind, I just saw the other comments.

Thank you!

22. Lauri says:

Hi there – where can i get the goodie bags for the popcorn that are shown here?

• leslie says:

Those were ordered from oh goodie designs. Their link is referenced in the write up above. I added the decals from the printable package by Anders ruff.

23. Ellyn Reid says:

Hi! How did you make the ribbon wreath by chance? I LOVE your photos! My son is having a Seuss themed birthday party and I’m making all the decorations, because I want to include them in his room decorating I’m doing (we’re a green living family :) ) I LOVE the wreath but I can’t figure it out!!

• leslie says:

Hi there! The wreath was made by a friend of mine. I do make them myself but am afraid that explaining how to make it would be far too difficult. It’s a very lengthy process. You can, however, head over to my friends Facebook page and possibly order one, or get more info from her. Her page is called ‘Tashas touch’. Good luck!!!

24. Michelle says:

how did you make or get your food labels?…if you still have them I will take them off your hands. My two little girls are having a Thing 1 Thing 2 theme. Aubrey is turning 1 and my Kylie is turning 2.
    Just a thought. I don’t have a color printer and all I am seeing is DIY printables.
    Help
    Thanks
    Michelle

25. Julers28 says:

Oh wow, this is amazing!! I am so inspired for my son’s first birthday party now.

26. Alexia says:

this is really nice as a teacher a mom I’m naturally for the theme. Where did you get the hats? Interested in the same design.

• Leslie says:

Alexia- I actually made the hats. I found standard paper birthday hats at target and then I added the blue feathers and the logos. ;)

27. Tiffany Medley says:

The party pics are amazing! I was wanting to know where you got the doctor suess number 1 onesie?

Tiffany

28. crystalsessions says:

How did you make the drink with the sprite and jello ?

29. Michelle says:

I love the punch – it looks so cute and bet it was yummy. Did you make the jello using the regular amount of water, or half of the water to make firmer cubes? Was there a trick to getting some to float and some to sink, or did it just hapen naturally? I’d like make it for my son’s preschool’s Dr. Seuess’ Birthday Party and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

30. Jessica says:

I am constantly referencing your blog for my own Dr. Seuss party for my twins! I cannot wait to post a blog and I will be sure to link back to yours for all the inspiration. :)

31. leahdiaz says:

i would like to know where you got dr seuss onsie if possible, thanks

32. Janell says:

Hi! I just wanted to tell you that I think you did a wonderful job on this party! I adore all of your ideas and think it turned out great. My son’s birthday is April 1st, so I thought a Dr. Seuss themed party would be cute for such a day fun and joke. :) Thank you for all of the inspiring ideas and for sharing them as well! God Bless!

33. Jen says:

WOW! Great job!

34. dannica orsatelli says:

Hi i would like to know were did you get your bags from the first picture you have with the one fish two fish totes.?

Thanks

35. Victoria Jackson says:

I love this, I am doing a cat in the hat them party for my son he will be 1 in may! Im so excited.. How did you make the Pink Yink Drink, & The place to take the photos i love it.. Also the print outs did you make thoes your self?

36. K Peeps says:

Fantastic party! I’m also doing a Dr. Seuss party for my 1 year old boy and you had wonderful ideas. How did you make the drink labels so they would not be ruined by condensation from the cold drinks? Thanks!

37. Ellen says:

What a fantastic party!

38. Shanna-Kaye Fancher says:

You just made my day! I have been daydreaming about a Dr. Suess themed party for my son’s first birthday in May-and pretty much every idea I wanted to try is in your pictures! :) I’m a photographer, so its so great to see good photographs that show what I want to make. It looks fabulous-and I’m so going to use this post to help me plan. Thank-you!! :)

And your little boy is super adorable :)

39. Natalia says:

I am TOTALLY inspired by your creativeness! Can’t wait to use some of your ideas. Thanks!

40. janessa says:

Hello, i love this party idea. Where did you get the hats, or did you make them?