Whimsical Dr. Seuss Inspired Birthday Party

Dr. Suess Birthday Party Ideas

I’m so excited to share this whimsical, fun, and downright ADORABLE Dr. Seuss themed birthday party with you today! There is SO much creative inspiration that can be drawn from Dr. Seuss, and Leslie did a great job bringing many of the playful characters and stories to life in the happy-go-lucky first birthday celebration that she created for her son Brenner.

Some of my favorite details include the blue feather-topped birthday hats, Cat in the Hat hat smash cake, delightfully crazy-looking “Beezlenut Splash” kids drink, bags of colorful popcorn, and of course all of the amazing signs, tags, and other party printables by Maureen of Anders Ruff!

Dr. Suess Birthday Party Ideas

Read on for lots more ADORABLE images, plus all the clever party details

PARTY DETAILS, as told by Leslie

INSPIRATION:
Ive always been a big fan of Dr. Seuss. So when I found out that I was having a boy, I knew that his nursery would HAVE to be done in Dr. Seuss! Then my dear friends decided to throw me a “Seuss” themed baby shower, where they displayed {as party décor} all the things that I could use in his nursery! With all that being said, I knew that there was no other theme that would be more fitting for Brenner’s first birthday party than Dr. Seuss! I love the Seuss book “Happy Birthday to you!” so I took that and ran with it.

PARTY PRINTABLES:
I contacted the wonderful Maureen from Anders Ruff and asked her if she could help me with some designs. She took the Seuss theme and turned it into something whimsical and AMAZING!!!

DECOR:
I had several tables set up around the room with different Seuss décor. Here’s a rundown:

Table 1 (located just inside the entry way) included the “Happy Birthday to You” book along with some bright colored pens and a cute sign asking guests to sign the book. I also framed one of the party invitations and displayed it on this table. (All signs were designed by Maureen.)

Table 2 included a sign with a cute poem inspired by Seuss’ “tooth book”. Along with the sign, I displayed two jars filled with tooth brushes that the guests could take home with them.

Table 3 included two round containers in colors that matched the theme. Inside one container was Seuss colored popcorn by Oh Goodies Designs. Inside the other container were party favors: small Seuss board books wrapped in printable patterned paper by Maureen. After wrapping the books I tied on red & natural colored raffia and included multi colored swirl lollipops purchased on Amazon and favor hang tags from Anders Ruff. On either side of the containers were feather-adorned party hats, which was a fun DIY project! Above this table was a ribbon wreath (another DIY project).

Table 4 included a sign asking the guests to guess how many candies were in a jar. Along with the sign, I displayed a mason jar full of “bird egg whoppers” and a “fish bowl” full of blue paper shred for the guests to put their guesses in. (I got this game idea off of a blog that I saw while searching for nursery ideas before Brenner was even born… I honestly couldn’t tell you the name of it… and haven’t been able to find it since.)

DESSERT TABLE
Included “WhoFoo Fluff on a stick” (marshmallow pops that I made with vanilla candy melts, sanding sugar, marshmallows, lollipop sticks, candy wrappers and ribbon). I displayed these as bouquets in four different glass vases that I decorated with printables and raffia. ABC’s of Seuss cookies were displayed along with “who cakes” with fondant cupcake toppers from Two Sugar Babies. Brenner’s Cat in the Hat smash cake was displayed in the center of this table. The cupcake tower was a cardboard tower that I purchased from Hobby Lobby and embellished with coordinating ribbon on each tier.

Above the dessert table I displayed a framed Dr. Seuss “Happy Birthday to You!” puzzle, two bouquets of balloons and a printable happy birthday banner. I also displayed an (adult size) Cat in the Hat hat below the puzzle…

FOOD TABLE
Three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwiches
(ham, turkey, cheese). Yertles caramel turtles (pretzels, rolos, pecans). Oodles of Noodles (pasta salad). A crumb that was even too small for a mouse (empty plate). Beezlenut splash (inspired by Ihop’s Horton Hears a Who special edition menu. Sprite, ice and colored jello). Pink ink yink drink (strawberry lemonade). I also displayed mini water bottles with printable beverage wraps (also by Maureen). Above this table hung a framed Dr. Seuss Fox in Socks puzzle.

KIDS TABLE
This table was set up so that the smaller guests had a place to sit and eat. I displayed Dr. Seuss “place mats” (printed off of PBS.org) and crayons to keep the kiddos occupied while the parents fixed their plates. I also provided the older children with red/blue cups with silly straws (Hobby Lobby) and put a name flag on each childs straw.

PHOTO BOOTH AREA
Outside the house on the front porch I hung a large piece of cardboard covered with the fabric used on dessert table and a printable door sign. This place was designated as a “photo booth” (Thanks again to Maureen for the idea!). I also placed a radio flyer wagon next to it filled with photo “props”: Cat in the Hat plush, gold fish plush… Thing 1 Thing 2 “boa”, Cat in the Hat hat for toddlers.”

MORE DETAILS:
– Each tot-sized guest was provided with a sippy cup. I decorated these with printable beverage wraps.

– Brenner’s high chair was decorated with printable balloon pennants (by Maureen).

– I placed balloon bouquets with the dessert, food, favor table and on Brenner’s high chair.

– I also placed random Dr. Seuss books on several of the tables.”

VENDOR CREDITS & RESOURCES:
– Photography: Jenny Collier Photography
– Graphic Design & Printables: Anders Ruff
– Cupcakes, Cookies & Smash Cake: Ashley Baker
– Popcorn Favors: Oh Goodies Designs
– Cupcake toppers: Two Sugar Babies
– Striped Containers, Silly Straw Cups,Ribbon, Raffia, Plates, Cupcake Tower, Striped Fabric: Hobby Lobby
– DIY projects were done with the help of my very talented friend Tasha
– Toothbrushes were donated by Chris McKinney, DDS (here in Tulsa)

144 responses to “Whimsical Dr. Seuss Inspired Birthday Party”

1. Katie says:

This is so fun!!!!

2. Teresa Lumpkin says:

Awesome job! This party is so cute!

3. Rachel says:

Would love to find out how the wreath was made if possible?

4. Carrie says:

I’m hosting a Cat in the Hat 3rd Birthday party for my daughter next month! I already had some of these ideas too :) But I got lots more here. Thanks so much for posting a great party that will help me make mine wonderful as well!

5. Leslie did a great job of bringing together tons of inspiration and transforming it into a beautifully executed party!
    I think she did a GREAT job of making it her own!

6. Jaime says:

The party looks great in pictures and was even better in person! You did a great job, Les, as always!!!

7. Saniel says:

It’s just a party ladies, to celebrate another year your child is here on earth. Get over yourselves!!!!

Cute Ideas.

8. Toni Sanders says:

This was an awesome party!!! You did a very lovely job.

9. Carissa says:

I love this, great job!!!!!

10. Great party! My wife just put together a great Dr. Seuss party for our little guy’s first birthday party as well. We all had a great time!

Check it out, here: http://www.mclellanblog.com/personal/sevens-birthday-palooza/

11. Nicole says:

Leslie and Maureen- Fabulous job ladies!

12. jenn s. says:

Hi All –
    After some consideration I’ve decided to remove a comment thread posted here earlier. I believe the matter was sufficiently discussed. Thanks for understanding.

Cheers,
    Jenn

13. Al says:

Love this post. What a great theme for a kids party! I have a 5 year old and an almost 3 year old, so this is a such a good idea for me to try. Thanks. I just found your blog, I’ll be back for sure.

14. Kathy says:

This is such a whimsy party! Just looking at the photographs make me want to have my own Dr. Seuss party for my grandsons!

15. Alicia says:

Such an adorable party! I love the clever signs. So so cute!

16. Kimberly Bee says:

Thank you for removing that comment thread. Dr. Seuss parties have been around for decades and with the wonderful internet, the sources for inspiration are endless and almost impossible to pin point. I just loved the decor and vibrant colors for this party. What an awesome character party brought to life! Thank you for sharing.

17. Patty says:

Oh my gosh! How adorable! I want a Dr. Seuss party for my 41st birthday this year :)I think I’m going to do it. YESSSS!

18. Jeannette Rivas says:

I’m diggin’ this party! Great details and the colors are so much fun.

19. Such a cute theme! My friend did a Dr. Suess themed shower. She did red velvet cup cakes with blue frosting and blue cotton candy standing up so that it looked like Thing 1 and Thing 2. Great for pictures, but the cotton candy absorbed all the moister from the frosting so by the time dessert was served they had fallen lol- Sarah http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

20. Terra says:

Ashley, great job.

21. Frances says:

These pictures are so cute! Hope that you all had a great time!

22. Jen Rea says:

That cake is absolute perfection. I love all the stripes carried throughout the theme.

23. Marisol says:

Totally loving this party! So much fun!!

24. Paige says:

This is So cute! I threw a Dr. Seuss theme party for my one year old this last October. Feel free to check it out at the following link. It was SO much fun!

I love this party blog! Yesterday I had 17 families over for a spring party and I admit I had a lot of inspiration from this site. Thanks so much for posting all the fun stuff you post!

25. Leslie says:

Thank you all so much for all of the lovely comments. Having my party featured on this blog was such a dream come true! I hope the party was an inspiration to many!!!

26. Marilyn says:

I’ve been coming back to this party over and over again. Such beautiful details, so colorful. You did a wonderful job.

27. a says:

I’m in love with the onesie!!

28. Mandi says:

I am planning a Dr. Suess party for my son. I was wondering how you made the drink with the Jell-O and where you found the books and what they cost.

• Leslie says:

Mandi- I made the jello the night before the party and cut it into cubes after it had set. About 30 mins before the party started I put the jello cubes in the pitchers, added ice then sprite. That’s it’s!!! Super easy!!

• Leslie says:

I forgot to answer your question about the books.. The board books that I gave out as favors. I ordered then from walmart.com and they were around $3 a piece I believe. The books that were used as decor were books that I had received as gifts for my baby shower (my sons nursery is done in Dr. Seuss)

29. This is totally adorable…will definitely need to find a way to work these ideas into…SOMETHING!!

30. Mary Irizarry says:

WOW!!! Sooo cool!! Awesome party!

31. Kiersten says:

This theme is just wonderful! So creative and just beautiful! Well done!

32. Ashley Baker says:

Les! You did an AMAZING job! Thanks so much for asking me to do the sweet stuff for you!!!

33. Maggie says:

Love the overall theme! We’re did you find that cute onesie?

• Leslie says:

A good friend of mine actually made it. I told her what I wanted on it and she did the rest! Cute, huh?! ;)

• Maggie says:

Wow it looks so professional! Is it Iron on transfer? I want to make one as well :D

• Christy says:

Maggie,
      I made this onesie for Leslie, and am actually making a few more in the next few days if you would like me to make one for you. I set up that quick website while I work to create an etsy store, so you can contact me there.

Thanks so much!

• Christy says:

Maggie,
      I made this onesie for Leslie, and am actually making a few more in the next few days if you would like me to make one for you. I set up a quick website while I work to create an etsy store, so you can contact me there.

Thanks so much!

• Nancy says:

Love the onesie and would be interested in purchasing one! Tried the weebly site and it was unavailable. Do you have your etsy store yet?

34. Tasha says:

I threw a Thing 1 Thing 2 party for my twin nieces’ first birthday party. It was such a hit that I want to throw more and more Dr. Seuss parties. (But I wish I’d seen this one first for some ideas!) Mine is here: http://diyingtobedomestic.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/thing-1-thing-2-birthday-party/

35. Brooke says:

This is such a cute party theme! How did you make the party hats?

• Leslie says:

Brooke- I bought generic party hats from Target (about $1.99 for a package of 8) and a blue feather boa from hobby lobby and cut pieces if the feathers off of the boa and glued them on. The party logos on the front were printables designed by Maureen from AndersRuff. Hope this helps!!

36. katrina says:

I love this party, but not as much as I love Brenner himself…. LOVE that faux-hawk! kisses to him :)

37. Sandra says:

Wow That is a fabulous first birthday party!

38. Julie says:

Planning to use Dr.Seuss for my sons 1st bday too!! love every detail of this party! where did you purchase the gift bags of one fish two fish????

39. Leslie says:

Julie- that was a gift to my son from a friend of mine. It is my understanding that she got it in the $1 bins at Target over the summer. Not sure that they are still available???