Whimsical Dr. Seuss Inspired Birthday Party

Quick Jump To » Vendor Credits | Comments

Dr. Suess Birthday Party Ideas

I’m so excited to share this whimsical, fun, and downright ADORABLE Dr. Seuss themed birthday party with you today! There is SO much creative inspiration that can be drawn from Dr. Seuss, and Leslie did a great job bringing many of the playful characters and stories to life in the happy-go-lucky first birthday celebration that she created for her son Brenner.

Some of my favorite details include the blue feather-topped birthday hats, Cat in the Hat hat smash cake, delightfully crazy-looking “Beezlenut Splash” kids drink, bags of colorful popcorn, and of course all of the amazing signs, tags, and other party printables by Maureen of Anders Ruff!

Dr. Suess Birthday Party Ideas

Read on for lots more ADORABLE images, plus all the clever party details

PARTY DETAILS, as told by Leslie

Ive always been a big fan of Dr. Seuss. So when I found out that I was having a boy, I knew that his nursery would HAVE to be done in Dr. Seuss! Then my dear friends decided to throw me a “Seuss” themed baby shower, where they displayed {as party décor} all the things that I could use in his nursery! With all that being said, I knew that there was no other theme that would be more fitting for Brenner’s first birthday party than Dr. Seuss! I love the Seuss book “Happy Birthday to you!” so I took that and ran with it.

I contacted the wonderful Maureen from Anders Ruff and asked her if she could help me with some designs. She took the Seuss theme and turned it into something whimsical and AMAZING!!!

I had several tables set up around the room with different Seuss décor. Here’s a rundown:

Table 1 (located just inside the entry way) included the “Happy Birthday to You” book along with some bright colored pens and a cute sign asking guests to sign the book. I also framed one of the party invitations and displayed it on this table. (All signs were designed by Maureen.)

Table 2 included a sign with a cute poem inspired by Seuss’ “tooth book”. Along with the sign, I displayed two jars filled with tooth brushes that the guests could take home with them.

Table 3 included two round containers in colors that matched the theme. Inside one container was Seuss colored popcorn by Oh Goodies Designs. Inside the other container were party favors: small Seuss board books wrapped in printable patterned paper by Maureen. After wrapping the books I tied on red & natural colored raffia and included multi colored swirl lollipops purchased on Amazon and favor hang tags from Anders Ruff. On either side of the containers were feather-adorned party hats, which was a fun DIY project! Above this table was a ribbon wreath (another DIY project).

Table 4 included a sign asking the guests to guess how many candies were in a jar. Along with the sign, I displayed a mason jar full of “bird egg whoppers” and a “fish bowl” full of blue paper shred for the guests to put their guesses in. (I got this game idea off of a blog that I saw while searching for nursery ideas before Brenner was even born… I honestly couldn’t tell you the name of it… and haven’t been able to find it since.)

Included “WhoFoo Fluff on a stick” (marshmallow pops that I made with vanilla candy melts, sanding sugar, marshmallows, lollipop sticks, candy wrappers and ribbon). I displayed these as bouquets in four different glass vases that I decorated with printables and raffia. ABC’s of Seuss cookies were displayed along with “who cakes” with fondant cupcake toppers from Two Sugar Babies. Brenner’s Cat in the Hat smash cake was displayed in the center of this table. The cupcake tower was a cardboard tower that I purchased from Hobby Lobby and embellished with coordinating ribbon on each tier.

Above the dessert table I displayed a framed Dr. Seuss “Happy Birthday to You!” puzzle, two bouquets of balloons and a printable happy birthday banner. I also displayed an (adult size) Cat in the Hat hat below the puzzle…

Three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwiches (ham, turkey, cheese). Yertles caramel turtles (pretzels, rolos, pecans). Oodles of Noodles (pasta salad). A crumb that was even too small for a mouse (empty plate). Beezlenut splash (inspired by Ihop’s Horton Hears a Who special edition menu. Sprite, ice and colored jello). Pink ink yink drink (strawberry lemonade). I also displayed mini water bottles with printable beverage wraps (also by Maureen). Above this table hung a framed Dr. Seuss Fox in Socks puzzle.

This table was set up so that the smaller guests had a place to sit and eat. I displayed Dr. Seuss “place mats” (printed off of and crayons to keep the kiddos occupied while the parents fixed their plates. I also provided the older children with red/blue cups with silly straws (Hobby Lobby) and put a name flag on each childs straw.

Outside the house on the front porch I hung a large piece of cardboard covered with the fabric used on dessert table and a printable door sign. This place was designated as a “photo booth” (Thanks again to Maureen for the idea!). I also placed a radio flyer wagon next to it filled with photo “props”: Cat in the Hat plush, gold fish plush… Thing 1 Thing 2 “boa”, Cat in the Hat hat for toddlers.”

• Each tot-sized guest was provided with a sippy cup. I decorated these with printable beverage wraps.
  • Brenner’s high chair was decorated with printable balloon pennants (by Maureen).
  • I placed balloon bouquets with the dessert, food, favor table and on Brenner’s high chair.
  • I also placed random Dr. Seuss books on several of the tables.”
Vendor Credit

144 responses to “Whimsical Dr. Seuss Inspired Birthday Party”

1. Katie says:

This is so fun!!!!

2. Teresa Lumpkin says:

Awesome job! This party is so cute!

3. Rachel says:

Would love to find out how the wreath was made if possible?

4. Carrie says:

I’m hosting a Cat in the Hat 3rd Birthday party for my daughter next month! I already had some of these ideas too :) But I got lots more here. Thanks so much for posting a great party that will help me make mine wonderful as well!

5. Maureen Anders says:

Leslie did a great job of bringing together tons of inspiration and transforming it into a beautifully executed party!
    I think she did a GREAT job of making it her own!

6. Jaime says:

The party looks great in pictures and was even better in person! You did a great job, Les, as always!!!

7. Saniel says:

It’s just a party ladies, to celebrate another year your child is here on earth. Get over yourselves!!!!

Cute Ideas.

8. Toni Sanders says:

This was an awesome party!!! You did a very lovely job.

9. seuss-a-rific cuteness!

10. Carissa says:

I love this, great job!!!!!

11. Great party! My wife just put together a great Dr. Seuss party for our little guy’s first birthday party as well. We all had a great time!

Check it out, here:

12. Nicole says:

Leslie and Maureen- Fabulous job ladies!

13. jenn s. says:

Hi All –
    After some consideration I’ve decided to remove a comment thread posted here earlier. I believe the matter was sufficiently discussed. Thanks for understanding.

14. Al says:

Love this post. What a great theme for a kids party! I have a 5 year old and an almost 3 year old, so this is a such a good idea for me to try. Thanks. I just found your blog, I’ll be back for sure.

15. Kathy says:

This is such a whimsy party! Just looking at the photographs make me want to have my own Dr. Seuss party for my grandsons!

16. Alicia says:

Such an adorable party! I love the clever signs. So so cute!

17. Kimberly Bee says:

Thank you for removing that comment thread. Dr. Seuss parties have been around for decades and with the wonderful internet, the sources for inspiration are endless and almost impossible to pin point. I just loved the decor and vibrant colors for this party. What an awesome character party brought to life! Thank you for sharing.

18. Patty says:

Oh my gosh! How adorable! I want a Dr. Seuss party for my 41st birthday this year :)I think I’m going to do it. YESSSS!

19. Jeannette Rivas says:

I’m diggin’ this party! Great details and the colors are so much fun.

20. Such a cute theme! My friend did a Dr. Suess themed shower. She did red velvet cup cakes with blue frosting and blue cotton candy standing up so that it looked like Thing 1 and Thing 2. Great for pictures, but the cotton candy absorbed all the moister from the frosting so by the time dessert was served they had fallen lol- Sarah

21. Terra says:

Ashley, great job.

22. Frances says:

These pictures are so cute! Hope that you all had a great time!

23. Jen Rea says:

That cake is absolute perfection. I love all the stripes carried throughout the theme.

24. Marisol says:

Totally loving this party! So much fun!!

25. Paige says:

This is So cute! I threw a Dr. Seuss theme party for my one year old this last October. Feel free to check it out at the following link. It was SO much fun!

I love this party blog! Yesterday I had 17 families over for a spring party and I admit I had a lot of inspiration from this site. Thanks so much for posting all the fun stuff you post!

26. Leslie says:

Thank you all so much for all of the lovely comments. Having my party featured on this blog was such a dream come true! I hope the party was an inspiration to many!!!

27. Marilyn says:

I’ve been coming back to this party over and over again. Such beautiful details, so colorful. You did a wonderful job.

28. a says:

I’m in love with the onesie!!

29. Mandi says:

I am planning a Dr. Suess party for my son. I was wondering how you made the drink with the Jell-O and where you found the books and what they cost.

• Leslie says:

Mandi- I made the jello the night before the party and cut it into cubes after it had set. About 30 mins before the party started I put the jello cubes in the pitchers, added ice then sprite. That’s it’s!!! Super easy!!

• Leslie says:

I forgot to answer your question about the books.. The board books that I gave out as favors. I ordered then from and they were around $3 a piece I believe. The books that were used as decor were books that I had received as gifts for my baby shower (my sons nursery is done in Dr. Seuss)

30. This is totally adorable…will definitely need to find a way to work these ideas into…SOMETHING!!

31. Mary Irizarry says:

WOW!!! Sooo cool!! Awesome party!

32. Kiersten says:

This theme is just wonderful! So creative and just beautiful! Well done!

33. Ashley Baker says:

Les! You did an AMAZING job! Thanks so much for asking me to do the sweet stuff for you!!!

34. Maggie says:

Love the overall theme! We’re did you find that cute onesie?

• Leslie says:

A good friend of mine actually made it. I told her what I wanted on it and she did the rest! Cute, huh?! ;)

• Maggie says:

Wow it looks so professional! Is it Iron on transfer? I want to make one as well :D

• Christy says:

I made this onesie for Leslie, and am actually making a few more in the next few days if you would like me to make one for you. I set up that quick website while I work to create an etsy store, so you can contact me there.

Thanks so much!

• Christy says:

I made this onesie for Leslie, and am actually making a few more in the next few days if you would like me to make one for you. I set up a quick website while I work to create an etsy store, so you can contact me there.

Thanks so much!

• Nancy says:

Love the onesie and would be interested in purchasing one! Tried the weebly site and it was unavailable. Do you have your etsy store yet?

35. Tasha says:

I threw a Thing 1 Thing 2 party for my twin nieces’ first birthday party. It was such a hit that I want to throw more and more Dr. Seuss parties. (But I wish I’d seen this one first for some ideas!) Mine is here:

36. Brooke says:

This is such a cute party theme! How did you make the party hats?

• Leslie says:

Brooke- I bought generic party hats from Target (about $1.99 for a package of 8) and a blue feather boa from hobby lobby and cut pieces if the feathers off of the boa and glued them on. The party logos on the front were printables designed by Maureen from AndersRuff. Hope this helps!!

37. katrina says:

I love this party, but not as much as I love Brenner himself…. LOVE that faux-hawk! kisses to him :)

38. Sandra says:

Wow That is a fabulous first birthday party!

39. Julie says:

Planning to use Dr.Seuss for my sons 1st bday too!! love every detail of this party! where did you purchase the gift bags of one fish two fish????

40. Leslie says:

Julie- that was a gift to my son from a friend of mine. It is my understanding that she got it in the $1 bins at Target over the summer. Not sure that they are still available???

41. Beth says:

This is amazing! we are doing a dr.seuss theme for my sons first as well, where did you get the tags for the gift bags and the Wait! stop here and see (signing instructions for his book. You did such a great job!

• Leslie says:

Thank you Beth! All of the favor tags/signs/party logos were designed and customized for me by Maureen from AndersRuff. (the wording for that particular sign was inspired by a Seuss party that I found on another blog.)

42. Michelle says:

I was looking for ideas for my son’s coming 1st birthday and this is marvelous!!! Thanks for the awesome details!!!

43. Chris says:

That looks so awesome great work!

1st birthday party ideas

44. jenn says:

I love the banner where did you get that?

• Leslie says:

Jenn- thank you! the banner was part of a printable package that Maureen from AndersRuff designed for me.

45. Angie says:

what about the wall posters?

• Leslie says:

Those are actually framed floor puzzles. The one above the dessert table I purchased on The one above the food table was purchased at Barnes and Noble in the childrens section.

46. Mica says:

BEST PARTY EVER! So beautiful!
    I threw my students a party after we did a pollution lesson.
    I made cupcakes with blue frosting and a red Swedish fish
    on the top of each. They devoured them as I read The Lorax.
    I wish I could do an all out Dr. Seuss party!

I looked on the pbs website for those placemats and they are no
    longer there. You wouldn’t happen to have that pdf saved on your computer
    somewhere? :)

47. Leslie says:

Mica- thank you so much! If you go to there is a tab labeled ‘birthday parties’. They are located under that! Hope this helps!

48. immy says:

Beautiful party, how did you make those colorful popcorn?

• Leslie says:

I ordered those from ‘Oh Goodie Designs’. They were beautiful AND tasted great! ;)

49. Lauren says:

Leslie-I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your party and am going to steal a lot of ideas for my son’s first birthday! I really love the yellow and blue containers and can’t find anything like them. Do you remember where you found them? Thanks for sharing!

• leslie says:

Lauren- thank you so much! Are you referring to the striped containers? I stumbled across them on a clearance rack at Hobby Lobby. Hope that helps!

50. Melissa says:

I am sooo in love with all the ideas. I also had a Seuss baby shower and we have a Seuss nursery. Now Cashton is turning 1 in August so I am beginning to plan. Where did you get the “1” ones? I LOVE it and have not seen it anywhere. Thanks!

• melissa says:

* sorry, The “1” onesie.

• leslie says:

Thank you! The Seuss onesie was made by a friend of mine. She has an etsy shop called ‘SpicyCakes’. I’m sure she would love to make you one!

51. Lauren says:

I also like how you used the patterned paper to wrap the gifts. What kind of paper did you print that onto that worked so well?

• Leslie says:

Lauren- i used standard printer paper. The board books that I used for the favors, fit perfectly inside the 8.5″x11″ printer paper and I just wrapped it as I would any gift. Thanks for the compliments!

52. Laurel says:

Adorable!! I am planning a Dr. Seuss themed 1st birthday as well and you have inspired me.
    Could you tell me where you got the onsie that your son is wearing (with the 1 on it) I LOVE IT!

53. Laurel says:

Oops! I was just reading through your comments and found the answer to my question. Thanks!

54. Sharon says:

Hi Leslie,

I love the idea of wrapping boxes with the printable paper. What kind of paper did you use that covered the whole box and looked great?

• Leslie says:

Sharon- are you talking about the boxes on the dessert table? I actually used fabric to wrap those. I found the fabric at hobby lobby. The party favors were wrapped in the printable paper and it was just printed on standard printer paper.

55. Angela says:

Oh wow this is an amazing party! My daughter’s 1st bday is coming up and this is the theme I decided on and with some of your ideas our little girl’s birthday party will definitely be memorable!

56. Julie says:

Amazing party! I am throwing a Dr. Seuss party for my daughter’s 1st and getting so much inspiration from your party and Etsy. I’m new to crafts so I was hoping you could answer a couple questions? 1) Where did you get the red and white striped tablecloth? How did you print the files from Anders Ruff – do I just go to Kinko’s? I don’t have a color printer and I’m not sure what additional supplies I need after receiving the files.

• Leslie says:

Julie- thank you so much! To answer your questions.. The tablecloth is actually just some fabric that I found at hobby lobby. I measured the table then bought the appropriate amount of fabric in yards. As far as the printing goes, I printed it all on my laser printer at home, but taking it to kinkos (or some place similar) is definitely an option. The file comes with detailed printing instructions. Good luck!!!!

57. ashley cruz says:

How did you make the beeznut splash?

58. Deanna Lane says:

Was the onesie made or can I order it?

• Leslie says:

It was made by a dear friend of mine. She has a shop on etsy. The shop is called spicycakes.

59. Amanda says:

You did an amazing job! I’m planning my daughter’s fourth party & this gave me soooo many good ideas, thanks for sharing :)

60. Mary B says:

Hi there! I was wondering how you made the onesie?
    If you could Email me that would be great!

Love the ideas!

61. Mary B says:

Nevermind, I just saw the other comments.

Thank you!

62. Lauri says:

Hi there – where can i get the goodie bags for the popcorn that are shown here?

• leslie says:

Those were ordered from oh goodie designs. Their link is referenced in the write up above. I added the decals from the printable package by Anders ruff.

63. Ellyn Reid says:

Hi! How did you make the ribbon wreath by chance? I LOVE your photos! My son is having a Seuss themed birthday party and I’m making all the decorations, because I want to include them in his room decorating I’m doing (we’re a green living family :) ) I LOVE the wreath but I can’t figure it out!!

• leslie says:

Hi there! The wreath was made by a friend of mine. I do make them myself but am afraid that explaining how to make it would be far too difficult. It’s a very lengthy process. You can, however, head over to my friends Facebook page and possibly order one, or get more info from her. Her page is called ‘Tashas touch’. Good luck!!!

64. Michelle says:

how did you make or get your food labels?…if you still have them I will take them off your hands. My two little girls are having a Thing 1 Thing 2 theme. Aubrey is turning 1 and my Kylie is turning 2.
    Just a thought. I don’t have a color printer and all I am seeing is DIY printables.

65. Julers28 says:

Oh wow, this is amazing!! I am so inspired for my son’s first birthday party now.

66. Alexia says:

this is really nice as a teacher a mom I’m naturally for the theme. Where did you get the hats? Interested in the same design.

• Leslie says:

Alexia- I actually made the hats. I found standard paper birthday hats at target and then I added the blue feathers and the logos. ;)

67. Tiffany Medley says:

The party pics are amazing! I was wanting to know where you got the doctor suess number 1 onesie?

68. crystalsessions says:

How did you make the drink with the sprite and jello ?

69. Michelle says:

I love the punch – it looks so cute and bet it was yummy. Did you make the jello using the regular amount of water, or half of the water to make firmer cubes? Was there a trick to getting some to float and some to sink, or did it just hapen naturally? I’d like make it for my son’s preschool’s Dr. Seuess’ Birthday Party and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

70. Jessica says:

I am constantly referencing your blog for my own Dr. Seuss party for my twins! I cannot wait to post a blog and I will be sure to link back to yours for all the inspiration. :)

71. leahdiaz says:

i would like to know where you got dr seuss onsie if possible, thanks

72. Janell says:

Hi! I just wanted to tell you that I think you did a wonderful job on this party! I adore all of your ideas and think it turned out great. My son’s birthday is April 1st, so I thought a Dr. Seuss themed party would be cute for such a day fun and joke. :) Thank you for all of the inspiring ideas and for sharing them as well! God Bless!

73. Jen says:

WOW! Great job!

74. dannica orsatelli says:

Hi i would like to know were did you get your bags from the first picture you have with the one fish two fish totes.?

75. Victoria Jackson says:

I love this, I am doing a cat in the hat them party for my son he will be 1 in may! Im so excited.. How did you make the Pink Yink Drink, & The place to take the photos i love it.. Also the print outs did you make thoes your self?

76. K Peeps says:

Fantastic party! I’m also doing a Dr. Seuss party for my 1 year old boy and you had wonderful ideas. How did you make the drink labels so they would not be ruined by condensation from the cold drinks? Thanks!

77. Ellen says:

What a fantastic party!

78. Shanna-Kaye Fancher says:

You just made my day! I have been daydreaming about a Dr. Suess themed party for my son’s first birthday in May-and pretty much every idea I wanted to try is in your pictures! :) I’m a photographer, so its so great to see good photographs that show what I want to make. It looks fabulous-and I’m so going to use this post to help me plan. Thank-you!! :)

And your little boy is super adorable :)

79. Natalia says:

I am TOTALLY inspired by your creativeness! Can’t wait to use some of your ideas. Thanks!

80. janessa says:

Hello, i love this party idea. Where did you get the hats, or did you make them?

81. marissazimmer says:

Your party was amazing! I read all of the comments to be sure you hadn’t already answered this question. This is a random one, but I can’t find solid sippy cups like you had anywhere. Where did you get them? Thanks!

82. Molly says:

I’m drooling, this is the perfect party! Well done!
    I featured it in a Dr. Seuss post this evening, check it out…
    (there’s an I’ve been featured button you can grab too)

83. Ruth says:

I saw this furniture and just had to share it because it looks like Dr Seuss furniture.

84. Tara says:

Great ideas. Here is one more add the TickleMe Plant party favor to your party. TickleMe Plants are live plants that will move when the kids tickle them. Almost like a Truffula tree in the Lorax. My students love them

85. lisette says:

How did you make the feather hats? I want to do Cat in the Hat bday for my almost 4 year old and I would love to make the hats!! Thanks!!

86. jaymie says:

I was wondering you got the cute dr. seuss number one onesie? did u make it?

87. Jacqueline says:

Hi– this is so beautiful. I wanted to know where you got the blue polka dot wrapping paper

88. Amber says:

I was wondering how you made the signs for the tooth table and the table with the Happy Birthday To You book?

89. Allyson Gray says:

I am throwing my son a Dr. Seuss themed first birthday (his nursery is also done in Dr. Seuss). Love all these ideas and plan on using some! Where did you find the onsie though? I am in desperate need of one. :)

90. Meg Newell says:

Can you tell me how you defied logic and gravity with that AWESOME drink pitcher??

Love all these ideas!

91. Paige C. says:

This is so amazing! How did you make the wreath? and what was in your party favors?

92. Jennifer says:

How long did it take to print all the custom decor? I’m loving this but I’m
    concerned with how difficult it is to figure out formating and how much it will cost to print (ink/paper) everything myself. Any suggestions? :)

93. Nat Mackenzie says:

so cool Vicki love the little white suit with no.1 on it. think I might make one girlish one there is a whole lot of zuess material out now thanks xx.

94. Vanessa Freer says:

who made the signs for the food?

95. Jennifer says:

I would like to use the same prints for the tooth brush and book signing. Do you still have the template for those?

96. Deniqua says:

Hey awesome job! I’ve giving my daughter Ava a Dr. Seuss theme party for her 1st birthday, inspired by the book she was given while in the NICU, “Oh the Places You’ll Go!”….can someone please tell me where to get that cute Dr. Seuss onesie with the #1???

97. Cathy Davis says:

This party was so cute I loved all the details! Thanks for sharing!

98. Cori says:

Great job! I’m so amazed!!! This is how I would like to throw my sons first birthday party. I really loved the “happy birthday book” where did you get it? I would be really helpful :)

99. Denise says:

Just wondering where you purchases the red & white striped table cloth and the blue polka dot (looks like) wrapping paper for the box that the cupcake stand is on?? Having trouble finding that color of blue…

100. Jessica Villmer says:

Lisa Zack Day….this reminded me of you guys :)

101. Maxine Massar says:

I was wondering how I can get the signs for a party I am planning in feb. Thanks. SO cute!

102. Maxine Massar says:

I love this! Where can I get signs for our party? Planning a 1st birthday in Feb. Thanks for sharing!

103. Christina Lynn Jennings says:

love it

104. Where did you find all the Seuss shirts for your little man?

105. Alicia clancy says:

How did you make the beezlenut splash look that way?

106. jessica25 says:

just search pet Tickleme plant to grow the only house plant that moves and closes its leaves when you tickle it!

107. jessica25 says:

I love my pet TickleMe Plant!

108. jessica25 says:

way cool

109. Meghan says:

How precious!! Where did you get his Seuss onesie??

110. Ashley says:

Do you freeze the jello to put in the sprite??