04 Apr

DIY: “Lighted Hearts” Photo Booth Prop

Here’s a fun little lighthearted DIY project that I’ve been meaning to share for a while… these are large styrofoam hearts that I decorated to resemble “Las Vegas lights signage“. Pretty simple idea, but they added SUCH a fun element to our milestone Anniversary Party last year! {And to the photo memories after!} We did a Wedding Hangover cocktail party in Las Vegas inspired by the movie, so these were the perfect kind of prop for this particular party, but they’d also be a great addition to engagement parties or couples wedding showers with a “Old Hollywood Glam” or general “Vegas-inspired” theme.

The hearts were surprisingly easy to make thanks to those little glass ball ornaments that come with the wire already attached to them. All I did was cover the heart with red velvet ribbon, then poked the wire that was attached to each of the ball ornaments through the ribbon and into the styrofoam. So easy!

The ornaments actually felt pretty secure at this point originally, but I didn’t anticipate the level of “abuse” the hearts would take once they started getting passed around at the party for hours! So… here’s a helpful note for future prop hearts: adding a little dab of hot glue to each one for extra security is a fabulous idea! Fortunately, since we were going with a tongue-in-cheek “Hangover” theme anyways… the fact that the hearts started to look “hungover” after a while actually felt quite fitting! Silver lining. =)

P.S. The best pricing I’ve found online for large styrofoam pieces is at H&M Floral Supply.

9Comments

HiLLjO SAYS:

How sweet! Punkrockromance-licious. And easy!

Reply April 5, 2011 at 5:05 am

Diana SAYS:

So simple – I’ll have to do this for the photobooth at my wedding!

Reply April 5, 2011 at 3:39 pm

girlywedding SAYS:

Love these! So fun! These hearts should be at every wedding!

Reply April 5, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Suzanne SAYS:

You know I loved these – hung over hearts and all! :)

Reply April 5, 2011 at 10:48 pm

wanrong SAYS:

Thanks so much for the sharing! I love this idea!
could you share which size styrofoam heart did you purchase?

Many thanks in advance!

Reply November 3, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Ashley SAYS:

Hi! Just wondering where you got your styrofoam hearts and approx how big they are. I am having a hard time finding them but that may just be because it isn’t February yet. Thanks!

Reply January 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Ashley – I think they were the 24″ hearts, but I don’t have them anymore so I’m not 100% sure. I’d say somewhere between 18″ and 24″ should be safe though. Looks like you can purchase the online here: http://www.fss.com/floral-foams-and-styrofoam-%28300000%29/styrofoam-hearts-%28307500%29/ and maybe try places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby since Valentine’s Day is coming up :)

January 12, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Jodi Dastur SAYS:

Where do you get those little glass ball ornaments?

Reply January 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

jenn s. SAYS:

I bought them at a local store in San Diego called Shinoda Design Center, but you can find them at online Christmas supply stores throughout the year (and some online craft stores) – or in-store at Michaels during the Christmas season. I’d suggest checking out http://www.christmascentral.com/ or Amazon :)

January 19, 2012 at 9:31 am