11 Mar

“Walk the Plank” Pirate Inspired Birthday

Walk the Plank Pirate Inspired Birthday

Ahoy, Mateys! You’re in for a real treat today as we are sharing a PIRATE Birthday Party full of inspiration, lots of goodies, and of course… some buried treasure! From the bold stripes to the vibrant color palette, we know you will find LOTS of party inspiration for your little pirates (or grown-up ones!) as we share our favorite elements – from the “old” sunken chest to the swirled drink bottles!

Walk the Plank Pirate Inspired Birthday

Designed on a budget, I share lots of the DIY elements below, so read on for lots more pictures and details…

Walk the Plank Pirate Inspired Birthday

Walk the Plank Pirate Inspired Birthday

Walk the Plank Pirate Inspired Birthday

Walk the Plank Pirate Inspired Birthday

Walk the Plank Pirate Inspired Birthday

THE DECOR
I worked closely with Anders Ruff Custom Designs on the printables for this Pirate Party! They are such a pleasure to work with and suggested added in pops of grey and light turquoise to the black/white/red color scheme.  Their designs help set the mood for party decorations! First off was a trip the fabric store where my Mom (she’s my right hand woman and a great party stylist) and I picked up some bold black-and-white striped fabric. We added a red overlay for color. Fabric is such an inexpensive and easy way to find a perfect match for table coverings! Next, we added in a chest I already owned (originally from Hobby Lobby) and filled it with vintage looking net for an “old” look. Extra net was tossed over a crate I had in my office and used for favor bags filled with gold coins + rolos + red candy!

Last but not least was the WALK THE PLANK sign. A recent Nashville storm actually caused a tree to fall and knock over my back fence. Despite that trouble, a piece of the fence ironically came in handy when painted with some extra acrylic paint I had. Easy + very effective!

THE TREATS
When we were thinking of Pirate treats, we thought of islands and coconuts. So we served up coconut ice cream topped with shaved coconut and served in real coconut half-shells. The coconuts were actually leftover from sorbet treats from the grocery store!  Red frosting was used for cupcakes + cute toppers from the Anders Ruff gals. Another treat was a last minute-addition to go with the “Walk the Plank” idea. I used regular red icing to write on store-bought fudge sticks. Simple, inexpensive + oh so delicious!

Pirate’s juice was served up in tipsy-topsy swirled plastic bottles that reminded us a bit of Captain Jack Sparrow’s walk in Pirates of the Caribbean. Root beer was also served as well as used for decoration when filled in an old rum bottle that my grandfather actually found 50 years ago washed up on the Charleston, SC shoreline when he was in college (crazy, huh?).

VENDORS & SHOPPING RESOURCES
– Photography + Styling: Courtney Dial and Phronsie Dial – Pizzazzerie
– Printables ~ Paper Goods: Anders Ruff Custom Designs
– Swirled Drink Bottles: Ben Franklin Crafts
– Pirate’s Chest: Hobby Lobby
– Pirate’s Hats + Net: Party City

37Comments

Lauren SAYS:

Absolutely love this pirate party! I wonder how appropriate this would be for a 27 year old ;)

Reply March 11, 2011 at 7:54 am

junita SAYS:

i am about to make baby pirate party and when i see this… I know it won’t get any closer than this, he he he! Can I feature this on my blog, Courtney?

Reply March 11, 2011 at 8:03 am

Gwynn {Gwynn Wasson Designs} SAYS:

Fabulous job Courtney!! Love the crazy bottles and all the fun styling ideas!!

Reply March 11, 2011 at 8:39 am

HiLLjO SAYS:

That rum bottle is awesome!!! I bet it’s a real pirate one. Very sweet, very well executed DIY party!

Reply March 11, 2011 at 8:39 am

Susan SAYS:

Love the squiggly bottles. I know a friend of mine who just did a pirate themed party and it was nowhere this amazing!

Reply March 11, 2011 at 8:52 am

Amy @ Blowout Party! SAYS:

This party is so awesome! Love those curvy drink bottles and all the cool printables! Coconut ice cream is just such a perfect touch,

Reply March 11, 2011 at 9:05 am

Rowaida Flayhan SAYS:

Absolutely beautiful pirate party love it all. Courtney Dial – Pizzazzerie and Anders Ruff Custom Designs are amazing

Reply March 11, 2011 at 9:09 am

Maureen Anders SAYS:

Courtney – you did SUCH a great job. I love all of the details – the coconut ice cream, the cool drink containers… the plank sign. (and of course how you used the printables – LOVE the flags on the cupcakes!)
FABULOUS!!!!
XO
Maureen

Reply March 11, 2011 at 9:22 am

Elizabeth SAYS:

You did such an amazing job on this party. The decorations look fabulous and I just love all the decorations. I think it could be used for any age. A pirate ship playset in the backyard would be great too.

These could be cute pirate sword necklace party favors-

And if you have any pets, here’s attire they can wear to fit the party! http://coolproducts.com/shop/product/PET_FLYS_Happy_Pirate_Skull_SUN_DRESS

Elizabeth Lembeck
@CoolProductsLiz

Reply March 11, 2011 at 9:29 am

Molly Ryle SAYS:

Oh boy! I love every bit of it! All of the details, perfect. It makes it real for the little ones, and that is so very special! Thank you for sharing your inspirations, so they become ours too.

Reply March 11, 2011 at 10:00 am

Ashley SAYS:

I just had my own pirate birthday party on a yacht last weekend!! How I wish this had been posted before now. I love the Walk the Plank cookies and how we both used wooden signs!

Reply March 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

Jennifer Medina SAYS:

Such amazing work! Loved the Walk the plank sign andyhe printables looked great!!

Reply March 11, 2011 at 10:32 am

wendy SAYS:

What a cool party for a boy. I love the color scheme!

Reply March 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe SAYS:

Fabulous job Courtney!!! I love that you got some use out of that broken plank! Very clever! ;)

Reply March 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Allie SAYS:

I have been waiting for a Pirate party post. Yipppeee!! Thank you so much. The color scheme is striking! So many great ideas. I was not able to find the swirled drink glasses on Ben Franklin Crafts’ website. Any suggestions?

Reply March 11, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Courtney SAYS:

Allie, check the store locator to see if you have one in your area – these were bought in the Richmond, VA store. You can also try other craft stores like JoAnns, Michaels, and AC Moore – check the sand craft aisles!

March 12, 2011 at 11:40 am