25 Mar

Magical Unicorn Birthday Party Extravaganza

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

I love the playfulness and sweet simplicity of this colorful UNICORN themed birthday party that photographer Carly Taylor hosted in celebration of her adorable daughter’s first birthday. Carly had the help of her creative genius friend/business partner – Victoria of A Subtle Revelry – and the result was a darling party filled with magical details like sparkly “unicorn horn” birthday hats and a rainbow smash cake!

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Read on for more magical images and all the charming party details…

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

PARTY DETAILS, as told by Victoria

A unicorn party is an incredibly sweet theme for celebrating a little girl’s birthday! The magical aspect of a make-believe animal + a pretty color palette truly made this party one to remember.

We found the perfect metallic balloon that became a great jumping off point for the party. It floated overhead as the kids ran around below. In lieu of birthday hats, each child received a homemade paper unicorn cone to wear. They loved the chance these magical horns gave them to run around and pretend.

The dessert table was set up under a few colorful tissue pom poofs and featured a rainbow cake made in the custom color palette of the day. It was surrounded by taffy, rock candy and other goodies that coordinated with our theme.

Snacks were also served at kids height on a makeshift “snack table“. A genius invention that Carly (the Hostess and Mother of the Birthday Girl) came up with was gluing bowls to a large sheet of poster board to secure them and hold them into place. The poster sheet was tied down to an ottoman in the center of the room. This allowed the kids to reach in and enjoy snacks without the inevitable destruction of the bowls. Such an easy solution to a very common kid party problem!

Before leaving, each guest received a pretty ice cream cone as a favor that had been dipped in white chocolate and drizzled with purple frosting to create the look of a unicorn horn. All wrapped up with metallic ribbon, these cones were a sweet way to say thanks to guests for coming.”

– Photographs: Carly Taylor
– Party Styling: Carly Taylor and Victoria Hudgins

Frida at www.trendenser.se SAYS:

I love this blog! It’s so inspiring!

Reply March 27, 2011 at 8:39 am

Debra SAYS:

I am planning my daughter’s 5th birthday party. These are great ideas. The colors are so pretty and I love the rainbow smash cake!

Reply March 28, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Coco SAYS:

my soon to be 5 yr old twin girls just went crazy looking at these pictures and are so excited about the idea of a unicorn party and making unicorn horns … thank you for the inspriation … such a cute patry idea

Reply April 4, 2011 at 6:53 am

Sandra SAYS:

Such a cute and unique birthday party theme!

Reply April 21, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Chris SAYS:

Wouldn’t mind this for my birthday, great job!

1st birthday party ideas

Reply May 10, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Jenny SAYS:

Where did you get those unicorn horn hats? I love them! I am planning a unicorn party as well and would like to get some. Did you make them yourself? I’m not very crafty so I wasn’t sure the best way to do it.

Reply May 31, 2011 at 11:28 am

Lexi SAYS:

How did u make the party hats if u don’t mind my asking? :)

Reply June 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Shaye SAYS:

I’m helping a friends mom throw my best friend a unicorn party but she’s turning 12 and I was wondering if anyone knew a website that doesn’t have the little girl magical unicorn theme? Thanks!

Reply July 19, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I am doing a unicorn birthday party for my 8 yr. old grand daughter and would love to know how you made the unicorn hats, They are adorable. Thank you so much.

Reply July 19, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Carol SAYS:

Everything looks beautiful! My daughter wants a unicorn party for her 5th birthday in a couple of weeks. How did you make the unicorn party hats?

Reply July 28, 2011 at 8:43 am

Kris SAYS:

This all looks amazing! I’m wondering though — what if your daughter is about to turn 9 and wants a unicorn themed party at home — any suggestions for crafts, games and such for the bigger kids?

Reply September 8, 2011 at 9:48 am

andi SAYS:

If you still see this, would you mind telling me how the “horns” were made? They are so cute. Presuming just cardboard topped with ribbon. Any info would be terrific.

Reply January 8, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Wes @ Party Ideas For Girls SAYS:

Loved how the unicorn horn was integrated to the hat and the food. :)

Reply February 4, 2012 at 6:25 am

Heather SAYS:

Hi, love this party and was hoping to find out like the others how to make the unicorn cones. It says that they are paper unicorn cones but in the picture it actual looks like they are made of foam. Any tips, sizes, supplies used, etc. would be appreciated – thank you! :)

Reply March 12, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Toby SAYS:

Hi – can you please give me the details of how you made the lovely little unicorn party hats please? :-)

Reply September 5, 2014 at 10:27 pm