Magical Unicorn Birthday Party Extravaganza

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

I love the playfulness and sweet simplicity of this colorful UNICORN themed birthday party that photographer Carly Taylor hosted in celebration of her adorable daughter’s first birthday. Carly had the help of her creative genius friend/business partner – Victoria of A Subtle Revelry – and the result was a darling party filled with magical details like sparkly “unicorn horn” birthday hats and a rainbow smash cake!

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Read on for more magical images and all the charming party details…

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas

PARTY DETAILS, as told by Victoria

A unicorn party is an incredibly sweet theme for celebrating a little girl’s birthday! The magical aspect of a make-believe animal + a pretty color palette truly made this party one to remember.

We found the perfect metallic balloon that became a great jumping off point for the party. It floated overhead as the kids ran around below. In lieu of birthday hats, each child received a homemade paper unicorn cone to wear. They loved the chance these magical horns gave them to run around and pretend.

The dessert table was set up under a few colorful tissue pom poofs and featured a rainbow cake made in the custom color palette of the day. It was surrounded by taffy, rock candy and other goodies that coordinated with our theme.

Snacks were also served at kids height on a makeshift “snack table“. A genius invention that Carly (the Hostess and Mother of the Birthday Girl) came up with was gluing bowls to a large sheet of poster board to secure them and hold them into place. The poster sheet was tied down to an ottoman in the center of the room. This allowed the kids to reach in and enjoy snacks without the inevitable destruction of the bowls. Such an easy solution to a very common kid party problem!

Before leaving, each guest received a pretty ice cream cone as a favor that had been dipped in white chocolate and drizzled with purple frosting to create the look of a unicorn horn. All wrapped up with metallic ribbon, these cones were a sweet way to say thanks to guests for coming.”

VENDOR CREDITS:
– Photographs: Carly Taylor
– Party Styling: Carly Taylor and Victoria Hudgins

32 responses to “Magical Unicorn Birthday Party Extravaganza”

1. aniqa says:

Hi, very nice small party.. i was wondering if you have ever done strawberry shortcake party?

• jenn s. says:

I haven’t done that theme myself yet. Would love to though – she was one of my favorite characters as a kid! Might have to do an inspiration board at least ;)

2. HiLLjO says:

LOVE it! Those paper horn hats are too funny!!! Love the color scheme; it’s so fun!

3. Rachel Z says:

My daughter, just turned 4, is already “planning” her next birthday. LOL She wants a unircorn party! I’m going to keep some of these ideas in mind. The horns are too cute.

4. Heidi says:

My two favorite details are the horn party hats and the rock candy!
    What a sweet party!

5. Terry says:

I loved seeing this party! Thank you for sharing! It seems that so many parties we see have sssoooooooooo many sweets (too many, IMHO) and this one seemed to have a great balance between some healthy options as well as some treats. I love that balance! And the take-home gift was perfect!

6. Oh great, yet another thing to make me want to go for baby #4 and hope that it’s a girl this time!!! Absolutely adorable!

7. That snack table is genius. We’re having a family gathering in a week and I am going to copy it. THANK YOU CARLY!

8. Amber-Lee says:

Do you think my husband would let me do this for his 30th birthday in May? :)

9. Sarah says:

What great colors! Looks amazing!

10. Rings says:

Such beautiful colours, simply beautiful and looks such fun.

11. Jamie says:

I LOVE the unicorn theme for a kids’ birthday party (or maybe for MY birthday party!).

12. Niina says:

Beautiful party and I love those unicorn horn party hats. What a great idea! I´m planning an end of the school party in June for my 5 year old daughter and her little friends with Strawberry Shortcake theme so I would love too if you would make an inspiration board!

13. I love this blog! It’s so inspiring!

14. Debra says:

I am planning my daughter’s 5th birthday party. These are great ideas. The colors are so pretty and I love the rainbow smash cake!

15. Coco says:

my soon to be 5 yr old twin girls just went crazy looking at these pictures and are so excited about the idea of a unicorn party and making unicorn horns … thank you for the inspriation … such a cute patry idea

16. Sandra says:

Such a cute and unique birthday party theme!

17. Chris says:

Wouldn’t mind this for my birthday, great job!

1st birthday party ideas

18. Jenny says:

Where did you get those unicorn horn hats? I love them! I am planning a unicorn party as well and would like to get some. Did you make them yourself? I’m not very crafty so I wasn’t sure the best way to do it.

19. Lexi says:

How did u make the party hats if u don’t mind my asking? :)

20. Shaye says:

I’m helping a friends mom throw my best friend a unicorn party but she’s turning 12 and I was wondering if anyone knew a website that doesn’t have the little girl magical unicorn theme? Thanks!

21. DONNA NOEL says:

Hi,
    I am doing a unicorn birthday party for my 8 yr. old grand daughter and would love to know how you made the unicorn hats, They are adorable. Thank you so much.

22. Carol says:

Everything looks beautiful! My daughter wants a unicorn party for her 5th birthday in a couple of weeks. How did you make the unicorn party hats?

23. Kris says:

This all looks amazing! I’m wondering though — what if your daughter is about to turn 9 and wants a unicorn themed party at home — any suggestions for crafts, games and such for the bigger kids?

24. andi says:

If you still see this, would you mind telling me how the “horns” were made? They are so cute. Presuming just cardboard topped with ribbon. Any info would be terrific.
    Thanks

25. Loved how the unicorn horn was integrated to the hat and the food. :)

26. Heather says:

Hi, love this party and was hoping to find out like the others how to make the unicorn cones. It says that they are paper unicorn cones but in the picture it actual looks like they are made of foam. Any tips, sizes, supplies used, etc. would be appreciated – thank you! :)

27. Toby says:

Hi – can you please give me the details of how you made the lovely little unicorn party hats please? :-)