23 Dec

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

Rebecca from Fresh Chick Design Studio sent in this darling “Winter Candyland” party that she designed & created for her son Blake’s first birthday. Pretty darn cute, right?!

Between the bright & festive color palette, clever DIY “Stocking Garland”, TWO buffets of winter-themed sweets (with treats like mitten-shaped sugar cookies & peppermint candy-topped cupcakes!), and those adorable little penguins, I’d say this is a very HAPPY-looking birthday party, indeed!

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

Read on for LOTS more festive pics and all the {very creative!} details, as explained by Rebecca

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

The party was put together for my younger son Blake, who turned one on December 9th. The theme was a “Winter Candyland”. I started with a color palette of red & aqua, but added a few accent colors so that the theme could work for both boys and girls.

I created this cute penguin graphic to add some wintery detail and incorporated lots of candy to bring in the whimsy factor. I wanted it to be festive for the season, without being over the top “holiday”.

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

I designed all of the printables for the party along with much of the decor. My first project was to create “birthday posters” as the building block for the desert table. I printed up 13×19 posters that were mounted on foam board and hung from candy cane stripe ribbon.  The posters were layered on top of an aqua and lime damask fabric, and a paper flag banner hung above them (made using the digital papers I created).

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

The dessert table was flanked with paper trees made from the same digital papers as the banner. (I was inspired  to make these paper trees by my sweet feathered friend of Bird Crafts!) I also made lollipop bouquets to add height and interest to the table.

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

The center focus of the table was definitely the cake. I ordered a cake from Target but made some special requests to accommodate a few ideas I had.  They offer a standard 8” round double layer cake…I asked for them for a third layer, fudge between the layers, and smooth buttercream icing with red polka dots and a red beaded border.  I would take care of embellishing the rest.

The cake decorating was totally last-minute, using a few items I had for the party: a couple large swirly lollipops and some of the super-cute decorated cookies from The Cookie Jar.

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

I kept the treats on this table fairly simple since there were lots of colors and patterns going on already. The only other items here were decadent red velvet cupcakes and the adorable custom sugar cookies (also pictured at top, in image #2).

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

Since I was limited with space on the dessert table, I added a separate candy bar loaded up with all sorts of sweets. To carry the theme over, more custom signs adorned the table, along with treat bags, fondant-topped cupcakes, colorful fabric, and a cute DIY stocking garland.

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

For entertainment all of the kids had a blast taking turns hitting the penguin pinata. All of the pint-sized guest were sent home with candy bags, penguin drink cups, and a fun ornament to hang on their tree!

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

This was the perfect theme for a December birthday… the possibilities to carry out this theme were endless!!

SHOPPING RESOURCES
Cake: Target
Party Printables: Fresh Chick Design Studio (on Etsy)
Fabric for tables: Hobby Lobby
Candy Jars & Containers: HomeGoods
Candy: Sweeties of Arizona

VENDOR CREDITS
Photography: Jackie Lindfors Photography and Apple Velvet Photography
Party Printables & Decor: Fresh Chick Design Studio
Red Velvet Cupcakes – Modern Cupcake
Custom Decorated Cookies – The Cookie Jar
Fondant Cupcake Toppers – Two Sugar Babies
Penguin Pinata – A to Zebra Celebrations

44Comments

Kelly SAYS:

CUTENESS OVERLOAD!!! I just love all the bright colors too!

Reply December 23, 2010 at 10:54 am

Ariel SAYS:

I love the theme so cute. I would love to know where you found the penguin cups!

Reply December 23, 2010 at 11:30 am

Rebecca Propes SAYS:

Thank you all so much!!! The penguin cups came from Walmart!! (;

December 23, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Kori Clark SAYS:

What a cute and brightly colored party idea! I love that it’s great for boys or girls all winter long!! Great job!

Reply December 23, 2010 at 11:31 am

Mary SAYS:

Wow!!!! great job! Its soo beautiful – it def, has the winter wonderland feel :) love it!

Reply December 23, 2010 at 11:52 am

Nicole Benitez SAYS:

This is so darn cute!! I love the ideas and the colors. Absolutely adorable!!

Reply December 23, 2010 at 11:57 am

Anna SAYS:

Where are the glitter trees from in the picture second from the bottom? :)

Reply December 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Rebecca Propes SAYS:

The glitter trees were actually a little DIY project I did that I found on another site (: Just take foam cones, spray adhesive and glitter…set on top of a candle holder and tah-dah!!

December 23, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Jill @ Modern Cupcake SAYS:

Rebecca – Congratulations on the way-cute party feature!!! Yay!!! Thank you for inviting Modern Cupcake to be part of the celebration! I’m honored that Blake’s 1st birthday cake experience was a Red Velvet Modern Cupcake!! XOXO

Reply December 23, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Lisa @The Cookie Jar SAYS:

Rebecca,

Your eye for party design is beyond amazing! The colors and designs that you used were a feast for the eye. Blake is one lucky little boy :) Thank you for including my cookies in your celebration. It was so exciting to create for you and the pictures that were taken are gorgeous! Please thank the appropriate photog. for their visions!

Happy Holiday!

Reply December 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Annette SAYS:

What a cute and unique theme. I love the color combination and all the prinatables too.. Great job on a fun and colorful party!!

Reply December 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Stockberry Studio SAYS:

Cute party!!

Reply December 24, 2010 at 12:14 am

Heidi SAYS:

What a great winter birthday idea! My younger son’s birthday is Dec. 10, so anything I do competes with the Christmas decorations. This year, as he is my last to turn two, I did a Cat in the Hat party for Thing Two. Red, turquoise and white decorations and food and – bonus! – it all can be incorporated into our holiday decorations. I must admit, I may head to Target for those adorable cups and save them for a Penguin Party next year.

Reply December 27, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Marian SAYS:

I really loved the birthday posters!! cute idea. I would love to order some for my son who is turning 3 in few weeks. I cannot find them to order them…where would they be? thank you :)

Reply December 28, 2010 at 7:46 am

Rebecca Propes SAYS:

Marian…just send me an email at freshchickdesignstudio@yahoo.com and I can create a listing for you to purchase! (;

January 2, 2011 at 11:06 am

Ericka SAYS:

OMG…so cute!!!! My little one LOVES penguins…where did you find the penguin drinking cups?

Reply December 28, 2010 at 8:49 am

Aly SAYS:

Wow, everything you did was fabulous. And the best part is it looked like your son had a great time! I love the way you spiced up such a simple cake from target to make it fabulous! Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful ideas.

Reply December 29, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Dale Kids party entertainer SAYS:

What a great theme. Everything looked so good. So professional. Fabulous.

Reply December 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm