HWTM > Party Inspiration > Holiday Party Ideas > Christmas > Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

Winter Candyland First Birthday Party

Quick Jump To » Vendor Credits | Comments

winter candyland birthday party

Rebecca from Fresh Chick Design Studio sent in this darling “Winter Candyland” party that she designed & created for her son Blake’s first birthday. Pretty darn cute, right?!

Between the bright & festive color palette, clever DIY “Stocking Garland”, TWO buffets of winter-themed sweets (with treats like mitten-shaped sugar cookies & peppermint candy-topped cupcakes!), and those adorable little penguins, I’d say this is a very HAPPY-looking birthday party, indeed!

winter candyland birthday party

Read on for LOTS more festive pics and all the {very creative!} details, as explained by Rebecca

winter candyland birthday party

“The party was put together for my younger son Blake, who turned one on December 9th. The theme was a “Winter Candyland”. I started with a color palette of red & aqua, but added a few accent colors so that the theme could work for both boys and girls.

I created this cute penguin graphic to add some wintery detail and incorporated lots of candy to bring in the whimsy factor. I wanted it to be festive for the season, without being over the top “holiday”.

winter candyland birthday party

I designed all of the printables for the party along with much of the decor. My first project was to create “birthday posters” as the building block for the desert table. I printed up 13×19 posters that were mounted on foam board and hung from candy cane stripe ribbon.  The posters were layered on top of an aqua and lime damask fabric, and a paper flag banner hung above them (made using the digital papers I created).

winter candyland birthday party

The dessert table was flanked with paper trees made from the same digital papers as the banner. (I was inspired  to make these paper trees by my sweet feathered friend of Bird Crafts!) I also made lollipop bouquets to add height and interest to the table.

winter candyland birthday party

The center focus of the table was definitely the cake. I ordered a cake from Target but made some special requests to accommodate a few ideas I had.  They offer a standard 8” round double layer cake…I asked for them for a third layer, fudge between the layers, and smooth buttercream icing with red polka dots and a red beaded border.  I would take care of embellishing the rest.

The cake decorating was totally last-minute, using a few items I had for the party: a couple large swirly lollipops and some of the super-cute decorated cookies from The Cookie Jar.

winter candyland birthday party

I kept the treats on this table fairly simple since there were lots of colors and patterns going on already. The only other items here were decadent red velvet cupcakes and the adorable custom sugar cookies (also pictured at top, in image #2).

winter candyland birthday party

Since I was limited with space on the dessert table, I added a separate candy bar loaded up with all sorts of sweets. To carry the theme over, more custom signs adorned the table, along with treat bags, fondant-topped cupcakes, colorful fabric, and a cute DIY stocking garland.

winter candyland birthday party

For entertainment all of the kids had a blast taking turns hitting the penguin pinata. All of the pint-sized guest were sent home with candy bags, penguin drink cups, and a fun ornament to hang on their tree!

winter candyland birthday party

This was the perfect theme for a December birthday… the possibilities to carry out this theme were endless!!”

rainbow-dotted-divider-2

Vendor Credit
By | 2018-02-04T13:19:18+00:00 December 23rd, 2010|Christmas, First Birthday, Kids Birthday, Parties for Boys, Parties for Girls|45 Comments

About the Author:

JENNIFER SBRANTI is the Founder and Creative Director of Hostess with the Mostess®, a hip and modern party planning resource. HWTM brings creative entertaining ideas to light through an inspirational “how-to” website and popular daily blog. Having hosted countless celebrations herself, ranging from special occasion showers and everyday get-togethers to large events, Sbranti now shares her contemporary style and no-fuss approach to entertaining with others. Her ideas have been featured in media outlets such as People, InStyle Weddings, Life&Style, Real Simple, and Extra! TV, and she is a featured contributor for several well-respected online communities, including iVillage.com and BHG.com. Sbranti resides in San Diego with her husband {and business partner} Sonny and their sweet 1-year old daughter, Macy.

45 Comments

1. Kelly December 23, 2010 at 10:54 am

CUTENESS OVERLOAD!!! I just love all the bright colors too!

2. Ariel December 23, 2010 at 11:30 am

I love the theme so cute. I would love to know where you found the penguin cups!

• Rebecca Propes December 23, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Thank you all so much!!! The penguin cups came from Walmart!! (;

3. Mary December 23, 2010 at 11:52 am

Wow!!!! great job! Its soo beautiful – it def, has the winter wonderland feel :) love it!

4. Kori Clark December 23, 2010 at 11:31 am

What a cute and brightly colored party idea! I love that it’s great for boys or girls all winter long!! Great job!

5. Anna December 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Where are the glitter trees from in the picture second from the bottom? :)

• Rebecca Propes December 23, 2010 at 5:55 pm

The glitter trees were actually a little DIY project I did that I found on another site (: Just take foam cones, spray adhesive and glitter…set on top of a candle holder and tah-dah!!

6. Nicole Benitez December 23, 2010 at 11:57 am

This is so darn cute!! I love the ideas and the colors. Absolutely adorable!!

7. Jill @ Modern Cupcake December 23, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Rebecca – Congratulations on the way-cute party feature!!! Yay!!! Thank you for inviting Modern Cupcake to be part of the celebration! I’m honored that Blake’s 1st birthday cake experience was a Red Velvet Modern Cupcake!! XOXO

8. Lisa @The Cookie Jar December 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Rebecca,

Your eye for party design is beyond amazing! The colors and designs that you used were a feast for the eye. Blake is one lucky little boy :) Thank you for including my cookies in your celebration. It was so exciting to create for you and the pictures that were taken are gorgeous! Please thank the appropriate photog. for their visions!

Happy Holiday!

9. Annette December 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm

What a cute and unique theme. I love the color combination and all the prinatables too.. Great job on a fun and colorful party!!

10. Stockberry Studio December 24, 2010 at 12:14 am

Cute party!!

11. Heidi December 27, 2010 at 3:06 pm

What a great winter birthday idea! My younger son’s birthday is Dec. 10, so anything I do competes with the Christmas decorations. This year, as he is my last to turn two, I did a Cat in the Hat party for Thing Two. Red, turquoise and white decorations and food and – bonus! – it all can be incorporated into our holiday decorations. I must admit, I may head to Target for those adorable cups and save them for a Penguin Party next year.

12. Marian December 28, 2010 at 7:46 am

I really loved the birthday posters!! cute idea. I would love to order some for my son who is turning 3 in few weeks. I cannot find them to order them…where would they be? thank you :)

13. Ericka December 28, 2010 at 8:49 am

OMG…so cute!!!! My little one LOVES penguins…where did you find the penguin drinking cups?

14. Aly December 29, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Wow, everything you did was fabulous. And the best part is it looked like your son had a great time! I love the way you spiced up such a simple cake from target to make it fabulous! Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful ideas.

15. Dale Kids party entertainer December 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm

What a great theme. Everything looked so good. So professional. Fabulous.

16. anna January 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I love the color scheme!!! how fun…and the penguins are adorable, very crafty how you incorporated them into a many aspects of the theme :)

17. Bird January 3, 2011 at 2:49 am

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!My sweet chick, you have outdone yourself this time!! I LOVE the backdrop area and those cookies and cake!! YUM!!Blake is a cutie and lucky boy!!LOVE it!!Thanks for the shout out too!! XOXO

18. Andrea January 5, 2011 at 6:37 pm

What a gorgeous and genuis winter party idea! My daughter’s birthday is December 30th & I usually host a party after the holidays, but still have a hard time getting all the Christmas decor down before her party. I so LOVE this. This year we are having a Princess Party (this Saturday-yay!) but I am very interested in looking into this theme for next year. Would you be willing to recreate some of your decorations in a custom order? You are so creative! Thanks for sharing your talents & happy new year!

19. Shannyn January 6, 2011 at 4:54 pm

This reminds me so much of my niece’s 1st birthday party that was the same day in the same zip code. From the penguins to the colors, it’s so similar it’s crazy!

• rebecca Propes January 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Thanks Shannyn…I’d LOVE to see pics (:

20. Ali January 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm

What fabulous decorations! Thanks for the inspiration. I am currently planning a similar “Winter Wonderland” 1st birthday for my daughter. I will absolutely use some of your great suggestions. Do you mind me asking what you included in your thank you bags as gifts for the guests?

Comments are closed.