I’ve been having so much holiday fun with yarn poms lately… this little “Yarn Pom Snow People” project is one of the latest experiments! A fun holiday craft idea for kids of all ages… and now I’m also thinking that it could make for a cute winter bridal shower centerpiece… maybe add a cute little “snowy” heart in between the “snow couple”? Hmmm…
Full DIY details are below – but the first element you’ll need to recreate this project is a set of yarn poms in your own favorite colors. I used Vicky‘s fabulous Yarn Pom Poof tutorial to create these cute little guys… and they’re popping up all over our holiday decor this year!
YARN POM SNOW PEOPLE
Holiday Craft Tutorial
What you’ll need:
– 4 yarn poms
– two 2” white styrofoam balls
– 2 pipe cleaners (orange + 2 additional colors)
– 4 black ball point pins (for the eyes)
– blue and yellow felt
– 4 tiny pom-poms (for hat flower)
– 2 bamboo skewers
– Styrofoam or floral foam for base
– fake snow
1. Thread 2 yarn poms onto one end of each bamboo skewer, then top with a Styrofoam ball.
2. Push 2 black ball point pins into the Styrofoam ball for the “eyes”.
3. For each “nose” cut 2 small pieces of orange pipe cleaner (approximately ½” long) and twist the pieces together on one side to form a triangle shape. Stick the open side of the triangle “nose” into the Styrofoam head.
4. For each hat, cut 3 small pieces of felt: a 2” square, a 1”x4.5”strip, and a 1.5” circle for the top. Glue the pieces together, then glue the hats to the top of each head. Glue 4 tiny pom-poms and a yarn knot together to create a “flower” for one of the hats.
5. Add a pipe cleaner scarves, and display the snow people in a vase filled with Styrofoam and covered with fake snow. Trim the long end of the bamboo skewer below the bottom yarn poom as necessary to adjust the “height” of the snow people.
Display & enjoy! =)