Holiday DIY: Rock Candy Cone Trees

Rock Candy Christmas Tree Craft

Maddy from Somewhere Splendid and Shauna from Sweet Tooth: Dessert Meets Design sent over this fun Rock Candy Cone Tree DIY tutorial… how SWEET is this idea?! These sugary, sparkly trees would be perfect accent decor for a holiday dessert table – or as sweet centerpieces for any holiday party or winter bridal shower!

{BTW -The gorgeous Winter Wonderland Dessert Table that I featured on last year was also courtesy of Maddy – and would actually pair up nicely with this new idea!}

Find full DIY details on the cone trees below:

ROCK CANDY CONE TREES

{by Shauna Younge & Maddy Hague}

SUPPLIES:
– floral cone forms in varying heights
– rock candy crystals in three or more colors
– hot glue
– solid text weight paper in your lightest hue
– spray adhesive
– cookie sheet

INSTRUCTIONS:
With the cookie sheet turned horizontally, pour your rock candy across the surface in a long line. The darkest color of rock candy should be at the bottom of the cookie sheet. The row of candy above your first should be slightly lighter than and flush with the previous row. Repeat this process, ending with the lightest shade of candy on the top row. Set aside.

Turn the paper to a landscape orientation and wrap around each cone. Slightly overlap the paper in the back of the cone and secure using hot glue. Do not apply hot glue directly to the cone, it will melt. Trim excess paper at the bottom of the cone. You may need two sheets of paper to cover each cone. If so, overlap the two sheets slightly to avoid a gap of Styrofoam peeking through.

Working quickly, spray the cone with the spray adhesive, and roll it through the rock candy to completely cover it with gradients of sugary color. Allow cone to dry before re-spraying or re-rolling. You can also use hot glue to fill in any empty spots.

Once your cones are finished, you’re ready to decorate your mantle or tabletop with a yummy collection of candy coated trees!

Photography: Somewhere Splendid

23 responses to “Holiday DIY: Rock Candy Cone Trees”

1. Saple says:

could you do this with rock salt and somehow dye it…

• jenn s. says:

That’s actually a great idea for a budget-friendly take on this same concept :)

• callie says:

also try with waffle cones & vanilla frosting for an edible version!

• Hi Saple, I accidentally posted my reply in the general comments rather than a direct reply to your question. I actually dyed clear rock candy to make this project, because my original order of blue candy didn’t arrive in time. Dyeing the sugar (or rock salt in your case) is also a great way to get exactly the colors you want. Best, Shauna Younge

2. Kelly says:

LOVE THIS IDEA! How fun!

3. Lisa M. says:

Wow – these are really festive and fun :) I loved the Winter Wonderland table from last year too!

4. Saple, I actually dyed clear rock candy to make this project, because my original order of blue candy didn’t arrive in time. It’s also a great way to get exactly the colors you want. Best, Shauna Younge

• shannon says:

How did you dye the clear rock candy? Just dip it in food coloring?

• Jennifer says:

Hello! My question is I am a bit confused on how the rock candy is suppose to stay on there??? So you use the paper, but how is the paper sticking to the cone, by the spray adhesive…..im sure this is a dumb question, but I am asking anyway…lol Thanks!

5. I had no idea you could dye clear rock candy?! Beautiful DIY project!!! Thank you for sharing!

6. Diana says:

So cute!

7. Brenda says:

I LOVE this idea! It is just beautiful!! Do you have any recommendations on a good place to buy rock candy?

8. BEAUTIFUL! I love rock candy crystals – looks like real ice ;-)
    So sweet!

9. Michelle says:

These are very festive..Great idea, love ’em!

10. Julie says:

These are amazing! How many pounds of Rock Candy did you use for these two trees?

11. Jennifer says:

How many lbs of rock candy would it take to make 14 tress?

12. Molly says:

Those trees look impressive! I’m getting a Sugar Rush just looking at them!

13. Louise says:

I found you via Sugar Rush! ( http://cakestacks.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweet-16-glitter-and-sparkles.html) Such a cute idea! These are a winter delight!

14. Hi there! I loved this so much that I featured it in my "100 Jolly Christmas Crafts & Decorations"! Have a great day! http://www.aspectacledowl.com/100-christmas-crafts-decorations/

15. Hi there! I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I’ve included this post in a recent list on my blog: 30+ Edible Christmas Trees {Sweets & Treats}. I’ve made sure to set a link so my viewers can find all of the details here!

I hope you can check it out:

<3 <3 The Sparkle Queen