21 Dec

A Colorful + Crafty Christmas Table

A Colorful + Crafty Christmas Table

I know that we’re getting really close to Christmas and most of you are probably already all set with your tables, but I still wanted to share this Colorful & Crafty” holiday table that I set up for a casual dinner with my girlfriends this past Friday… it’s REALLY easy to recreate and uses affordable elements like yarn, felt, craft poms, paper napkins, and even {half} a pair of socks!

A Colorful + Crafty Christmas Table

I’m not sure what my deal is lately, but suddenly I’ve fallen in love with yarn and the cozy, handmade feel it brings… and now I’m trying to work it into decorations every which-way possible!

So… I placed a Yarn & Candy Ornament at each place setting to add a playful vibe to the table. My original plan was to stick a toothpick-flag place card with everyone’s name into the center of each ornament since the middle is a styrofoam ball (wouldn’t that be cute?!), but sigh… I ran out of time before dinner. Maybe there’s still time for you though! =)

A Colorful + Crafty Christmas Table

Paper napkins were rolled and bound with “napkin rings” made from a strip of colorful felt embellished with yarn. I used crepe paper placemats that are both inexpensive and surprisingly durable – I’ve been able to reuse them so many times!

For the sparkly coasters under the wine glasses, I just covered a pack of chipboard coasters from the $1 bins at Michaels – 6 for $1! – with glitter scrapbook paper. (I used spray-adhesive to attach it.)

A Colorful + Crafty Christmas Table

To dress up the wine glasses AND help guests distinguish their glass of red from everyone else’s I decorated the glass stems with different colors of chenille craft stems (or “pipe cleaners”) and craft pom “flower charms.

To make the charms, just hot glue 3 different colors of poms together, then glue a little “yarn knot” in the center. (Just knot a piece of yarn 4-5 times until the knot is large enough to work as a little ball for the center, then trim the excess ends.) Hot glue the flower charms to the coiled pipe cleaners around the glass stems to make them stay put.

A Colorful + Crafty Christmas Table

The centerpiece was probably my favorite element of the table. It’s a little hard to tell from the angle of this picture, but the 3 ornaments hanging in the middle of the vase look like they’re “suspended” because they don’t touch the bottom and you can’t see where they’re hanging from… a little holiday magic, right?!

Actually… this centerpiece is made up of TWO vases – 1 short and 1 tall – but equal in diameter. I put a little fake snow in the bottom of the tall vase, then made a criss-cross of plain old scotch tape across the top of it (over the opening) and hung the ornaments from the tape. Then I used 3D glue dots to attach the bottom of the shorter vase to the top of the tall vase and covered the “seam” the 2 vases created with a knee-high sock embellished with a little yarn. Finally, a little more fake snow and some colorful ornaments filled the short vase.

A Colorful + Crafty Christmas Table

The centerpiece is sitting on a sequined table tree skirt from Target and surrounded by ornaments. Another easy way to help fill the table!

P.S. You might notice the colorful ornament sitting to the front left of the centerpiece that looks like a flower. I made that by hot gluing 5 miniature ball ornaments together and adding a little rolled circle of felt for the middle. A simple & festive holiday craft idea that looks super cute as a gift tag or bottle embellishment too!

A Colorful + Crafty Christmas Table

16Comments

Kelly SAYS:

Love the look of this table! Everything is so festive and fun – and the candy cane yarn ornaments look adorable with the gumballs added!

Reply December 21, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Lisa M. SAYS:

Such a cool idea using the 2 vases for the centerpiece. I’ll have to remember that one!

Reply December 21, 2010 at 5:44 pm

mrs k. SAYS:

Those wine glasses are just darling with the craft poms and pipe cleaners. Who would’ve thought of that combo?!

Reply December 21, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Micah @ LittlePinkDesigns.com SAYS:

Great stuff as always! We at LittlePinkDesigns.com always draw inspiration from your posts, thanks and keep it up!

Reply December 21, 2010 at 7:49 pm

diy-day.com SAYS:

I like the whole set-up. But I would imagine that by the end of the night there would be a lot of yarn strands, glitter, stray sequins, etc, to clean up, no?

Reply December 21, 2010 at 8:34 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Actually that wasn’t too much of a problem, fortunately! The yarn stayed on the felt when you slid the napkin rings off, and all of the glitter and sequins were pretty secure (which is saying a lot for glitter, I know!)

December 22, 2010 at 7:42 am

Kim - The TomKat Studio SAYS:

LOVE it all, Jenn! So bright and colorful! The centerpiece is so fun and creative! I bought the same flower ornaments (as your green one) from Target yesterday in pink! Love them!

Reply December 21, 2010 at 8:46 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

I have the pink one too! And a red one, and a blue one… they were too darling and CHEAP to pass up! ;)

December 22, 2010 at 7:43 am

Cari SAYS:

I’m a blog creeper! LOL! I read your blog all the time but never comment! Shame on me I know! I absolutely love this and all of your ideas!!!!! Your blog has given me inspiration for lots of events! I even ordered several things from you for my son’s second birthday party. You are so creative!

Reply December 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Thanks for the sweet message, Cari! Glad to finally “meet” you :)

December 22, 2010 at 7:44 am

Hollie SAYS:

I LOVE how this totally brings Christmas to a new color wheel! I’m always so sick of the repetitive red and green everywhere. This really livens up Christmas! :)

Reply December 22, 2010 at 9:36 am

Michelle SAYS:

Love this colorful table setting. It looks so festive ***

Reply December 22, 2010 at 9:43 am

Arial SAYS:

I love these colors!!!!! So festive and bright – really fun and personal! Great!

Reply December 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm

michelle SAYS:

That is so beautiful! I love your ideas and creativity! I’m gonna be stalking this blog from now on ; )

Reply January 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Kitchen Improved SAYS:

I really love holiday themes that incorporate more color. It just makes things more fun! And kid friendly to boot. :)

Reply January 3, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Megan SAYS:

OMG how did I miss this at Christmas time! This will be a MUST this year! Oh if only I can find the time with 2 toddlers:) Were they really time consuming to make?

Reply June 29, 2011 at 7:02 am