Red & Aqua “Ni Hao Kai-Lan” Birthday Party

Virginia from The Home Party Planner created this adorable – and super stylish! – red & aqua birthday party to celebrate her daughter’s birthday. I just love everything about this sweet party… from the fabulous food presentation (french fry cones and mini dessert “shots”!) – to DIY projects like paper pinwheels, embellished blumeboxes and candy jar tags.

Read on for more images plus all the party details & resources, as told by Virginia

“To celebrate our daughter’s 2nd birthday, I created a fun and whimsical red & aqua themed birthday party which subtle touches of her favorite cartoon character Ni Hao Kai-Lan and her party theme “Taylor Turns Two”.  I wanted to keep things fun for both the adults and the kids. We used the bright aqua and red throughout the decorations in the eating area, display tables and also in our outfits.

Taylor Turns Two Logo
– I created this myself and used it along the centerpieces and decorative boxes.

Party Signs – Frames purchased at Ikea added the right flair to the different “Taylor Turns Two” signs that were displayed around the party

Pinwheels – Another DIY project  made from assorted papers purchased at Michaels. These added a fun and nostalgic touch for all!

Blumebox containersBlumeboxes were purchased in various colors and sizes to be used as balloon holding centerpieces, pinwheel holders and candy holders. We also used them to hold the cutlery.  I decorated them with assorted ribbons, tissues and embellished them with the “Taylor Turns Two” logo.

Table runners – (DIY) fabric was purchased from Ikea and cut down to make table runners on all the eating tables.

Candy jar signs – (DIY) Made from decorative scrap booking embellishments, hand-written and tied on with a festive ribbon.

Catering – Taco Dawg

French Fries & Dipping Sauce Station
I created little french fry cones and a holder wrapped in paper from Paper Source.  I purchased squeeze bottles from Bed, Bath & Beyond and labeled them with designed labels from Paper Source.  Sauces were purchased from Fresh and Easy.  Guests were encouraged to grab a cone of fries and choose from 6 different sauces.

Cakes, Dessert Shots & Cookies –  Jennifer Stonebarger

PhotographyT & H Photography

Event Design –  Hooray to Celebrate

RentalsEmmanuel Party Rentals

Location – Private Park in Irvine, CA

20 responses to “Red & Aqua “Ni Hao Kai-Lan” Birthday Party”

1. Cinzia says:

Stupendo!Un party carinissimo! Complimenti!

2. really love this…great colors and adorable details!

3. PartyMom says:

Love the color scheme! Everything looks fabulous…and I’ll definitely be looking more closely next time I go to Ikea!

4. dja says:

Es justo lo q estaba buscando para la fiesta núm 3 de mi hija Aitana!!!FABULOUS!!!!I LOVE EVERYTHING!!!Thanks for share!!

5. Love it! beautiful combination of colors!

6. O my! This is so darn cute … my daughter loves Ni Hao Kai-Lan! This is a beautiful party … I love the details!

7. Teresa says:

Honestly, I’ve never seen a catering vehicle at a birthday party….it’s genius!! The color scheme and the personal touches are beautiful. I love that a logo was created especially for the birthday girl.

8. sara says:

Beautiful Idea.. great for any occasion

9. Virginia says:

Thanks so much for featuring my daughter’s birthday party! It was so much fun and I am so honored to have it on this fab site to share with all.

10. Libby says:

There’s just something about a red and aqua color combo that stops me in my tracks. This palette instantly pulls me in. I am also a sucker for homemade bunting! Great party! Great color! Great detail!

11. bridal girl says:

So cute! Love the theme and the food looks so delicious!

12. Tait says:

Looks adorable & delicious!

13. Bird says:

Love this!! Sharing with a friend who wanted ideas on theme!!thanks Jenn, you rock! :) xoxo

14. vincent says:

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use or just go to and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

15. Martha Munoz says:

I love it! I want to plan my daughters bday kai lan theme she turns 1 on Jan 15th how can i get a hold of u

16. Diana says:

love the red and aqua party! We’re doing a vintage tricycle party for my son and would love to have the jones soda but not sure where to purchase them other than their website. Where did you guys purchase them and the cool straws? Another question also, I’ve been trying to make some pinwheels that are kid friendly and was wondering what you used to hold the pinwheel together and what did you use as the stick.
    Thanks so much,

• Virginia says:

HI Diana!

We purchased the Jones Soda & BevMo! They had an excellent selection of fun bottled sodas, Jones & more.

Straws were purchased at the Hey Yo Yo Shop on Etsy:

For the Pinwheels, I found wooden dowels at Michaels. They had various widths/lengths that were sold in inexpensive packs.

Feel free to email me with any questions!!!

Best of Luck!

17. casey says:

OMG I love this!! Do you have any of the templates for the DIY items (sign templates, table signs, etc.) I’d love to use this for my sons 1st bday party! I love the font you used!! Please let me know and I can send you my email address

thank you!!!!