REAL PARTIES: UP-Themed Birthday Party

UP Birthday Party Ideas

Wendy from Wendy Updegraff Photography created the SWEETEST UP-themed birthday party for her daughter’s birthday! The party was an “outdoor movie night” and she created a backyard movie theater from a sheet and some velvet fabric – how fun is that?!

In addition to the homemade movie screen, check out all the other amazing stuff she made… which includes a dollhouse painted to look like the house in the movie, a balloon-themed food table with a lollipop display actually that looks like little balloons, the coolest “balloon wreath” for the front door (GENUS!), adorable Ellie badges and Adventure Books for the party favors, and more. If there ever was a party that perfectly reflected the movie it that inspired it, this is it!

UP Birthday Party Ideas

Read on for lots more inspiring images and all the clever & creative party details, as told by Wendy… (And as I side note, I can’t help but mention that the fondant work on the cake is beyond amazing, and also how fun it is that Wendy & birthday girl Bella’s last name is “UPdegraff” – perfect!” =)

UP Birthday Party Ideas

I threw my daughter an UP-inspired outdoor movie night party for her 7th b-day.

For the food/treats table, I wanted to stick with the balloon theme, but also serve foods that you would find at a movie and were easy for little kids to eat. I made the stand for the tootsie pops out of MDF (medium density fiberboard) and covered it with pink paper. They reminded me of little balloons! The striped paper straws are from etsy shop Hey Yo Yo.

UP Birthday Party Ideas

Chocolate-dipped marshmallow pops were decorated with colorful sprinkles and striped paper food flags.

I used Two Sugar Babies from etsy for the fondant work on the cake, and the actual cake was made by a local baker: Kakes by Katie.

UP Birthday Party Ideas

On the favor table: I used Earmark from etsy for the Adventure Awaitsbanner.

UP Birthday Party Ideas

I printed out the UP characters and the adventure books from familydisney.com. (I assembled the books using covers and binding from Hobby Lobby).

UP Birthday Party Ideas

I also found a doll house at Hobby Lobby and assembled and painted it to look like the house from UP.

UP Birthday Party Ideas

For the party favors, I used scrapbook supplies to make Ellie Badges.

UP Birthday Party Ideas

Our backyard “movie screen” was made from a bed sheet and some velvet fabric. The invitations were by Anna Griffin and the Now Showing” movie poster was purchased from allposters.com.

UP Birthday Party Ideas

My daughter and I made the front door wreath out of balloons and added the big “7” for some sparkle!”

UP Birthday Party Ideas

104 responses to “REAL PARTIES: UP-Themed Birthday Party”

1. Stunning! And so true to the story, as I have seen the movie 50 times and have the art books. LOVE the little details like the “Ellie Badge”–that got me choked up a bit. I bet the folks at Pixar would love to see this! Beautiful!

2. Liza says:

OMG!! This is amazing. I have never thought of breaking down these movies for this type of party! I LOVE IT!!!

3. Amy Ro. says:

OMG this is beyond amazing! I love all the little details and what a unique theme too… I just love it all

4. Megan says:

Can you give us instructions or tips on how you made the balloon wreath? That would be great for any birthday party!!

5. Debbie says:

This is one of my absolute favorite parties (&) movies… ever!!! So sweet and creative!

6. Christy says:

Absolutely amazing! I can’t imagine how long it took to plan all that! Very, very nice!

7. Wow that cake is fantastic!! Such a fun party theme.

8. Rowaida Flayhan says:

Stunning and Gorgeous birthday party great theme love love it

9. Ces says:

I love the cake! The movie screen is great too!

10. Jeannette says:

This is beautiful!! The cake is gorgeous! Movie night out doors is something I’ve considered before, during the summer of course. Very nice, I love it!!

11. McCall Humes says:

I love that you watched the movie. Super cute party!

12. Alejandra says:

I ABSOLUTELY LOOOOOVE this theme!!! Can you give us instructions on how the Ellie badge was made? I would love to be able to make one for my daughter. Thank you!!

13. Wow!!! This party is all kinds of FABULOUS! Such a great theme idea!

14. What a wonderful soiree! The movie really lends itself to the party! I especially love the little badges. So cute!

15. Linda says:

This party is so on point! Kudos Wendy and Bella. Everything looked amazing! I love this movie.

16. Allison says:

Magnificent. Everything about this is magnificent. Could you also ask Wendy how she made the Ellie badge? I’m making an Adventure Book for my niece for Christmas and I’d love to make her an Ellie badge, too. Thank you!

17. Mindy says:

LOVE the movie and this party!!

18. Shauna says:

What a great theme. We love outdoor movie nights too and try to have a few throughout the summer with the big one being our annual Outdoor Movie Night Halloween Party. The kids absolutely love it. And, the parents get a chance to relax and let their kids run off some of the sugar. We posted some pics of the movie night party on our blog using printables from our etsy store and AndersRuff.

19. Allison says:

I hate to be a bother, but can Wendy also tell us where she got the Up posters that she strung across the open suitcase? I can’t find them on the family Disney site anywhere.

20. Elaine Maia says:

Its Wonderfull!! I JUST LOVE IT!! KISSSSS

21. This is such a fun party! I love every little detail!

22. Emily Dumas says:

this is A-MA-ZING!!! that cake is adorable

23. This is the most beautiful and inspiring party that I have ever seen! Thank you for sharing!

24. Zadraska Ferrer says:

I LOVE It! Wonder if I can “UP” my 36th b-day! LOL. Great job… very creative!

25. I flipping love this party! I love taking characters and movie kid’s love and creating a fun custom party. This party is awesome, so well done and put together!!!

26. This is such an adorable party! I’m loving all the hot air balloons, seems to be going around the party sphere.

27. Hawlie says:

This party rocks so much! I love it!maybe i’m just a paranoid person, but I would maybe blur the address on the invite that is pictured?

28. Wow! This is SPECTACULAR!!! The colors are so bright and cheery, and that cake!!! Just incredible! Gorgeous styling! :)

29. Dary says:

Can everyone tell me where i can get that cake platter? I have been looking for it!

30. Lourdes says:

absolutely stunning!! i love every inch of the creativity and how much thought went into every little piece – esp the pin :D
    <3 <3 <#

31. This is one of the most beautiful blog posts I have ever seen! The balloon wreath is spectacular as is the cake. The colors are dream like. That little girl will never forget her 7th birthday.

32. Annette says:

Everything looks Amazing!! Love the colors

33. Wow! This is a gorgeous party idea, and the cake is phenomenal :)

34. bridgette says:

Oh my goodness, I think this is the best party I have seen possibly ever! So much attention to detail and beautifully crafted! Our Adventure Awaits Banner has never been happier :)

35. Duana says:

I love this!!! So fun and creative!!

36. I absolutely love this idea! My sister just filmed a wedding with an UP theme, and she said it was gorgeous. This is a perfect idea, thanks for the photos!

37. OK this whole party is pretty cool, but that balloon wreath ROCKS! That could be used for any type of birthday party. Just Love it!

38. Kristy Stites says:

I love this party – the attention to all the fabulous details blew me ‘UP-UP’UP’ & Away!!! Well done, thanks for sharing!!!