Get ready to be inspired… because I have an AMAZING holiday party to share with you today from the ultra-talented Kate of Kate Landers Events!
This gorgeous Nutcracker Suite Ballet Party is literally a sweet holiday dream brought to life. There are so many clever, creative details to admire – from the sparkly fondant lollipops and ridiculously cute white chocolate covered peppermint ganache mice (LOVE!) to the princess-like ruffled table skirts and ballet tutu favors. A-DORABLE…
“Several months ago a client requested I design a Nutcracker Suite Ballet Party for her daughter. As someone with an extensive background in ballet myself – (I danced for 17 years, starting at a very young age) – I was beyond thrilled with this theme, to say the least!
The entire party design is based off of these 2 images of costumes from The Nutcracker, as well as scenes from the ballet, including characters, backdrops, props, and many memorable moments of the masterpiece:
The actual party will not occur until much closer to the holidays, but I wanted to share the design earlier order to provide inspiration for others that might want to host their own Nutcracker Ballet Party this year! And as luck would have it, I was connected last summer with photographer Liza Voll, a ballerina herself and photographer of several Boston ballet companies (and many performances of The Nutcracker!). It seemed like fate for she and I to collaborate on this photo shoot!
Pink was the base. We chose light ballet pink, medium pink, dark pink, and cranberry with hints of sparkly silver and white.
I wanted a floor-length table covering that was tiered, ruffled, and went from lightest to darkest shades of pink, similar to the image of the costumes attached. Carolyn of Sweet Tea and Linen created exactly what I had in mind – the table skirt was absolutely extraordinary!
Linens & Tableware:
I absolutely adore personalized party favors, and love how delighted children get when they see something with their name on it! I had designer Emily of Magnolia Creative create exquisite painted pottery salad plates for each guest, which served as both a “place card” and a lovely take-home party favor (after a quick rinse and dry!).
A taffeta table runner was placed down the middle and lined with clear glass beaded platters and bowls of treats, trimmed with cranberry velvet ribbons. Classic light pink linen napkins, traditional silver flatware and clear glasses completed the look–pristine, feminine, and sweet.
Oh, the dessert table. This was a huge part of the party design, and the details were very important. The idea was to create a “stage” where each dessert represented different characters, costumes, props or scenes from The Nutcracker Suite Ballet.
I hung hand glittered letters over the table that were strung together on pink ribbon, and spelled out “Sweet Dreams“. Pink and silver trees that I created gave height and reinforced the color-scheme. The Nutcracker stood out well, and while pink was used throughout, hints of silver could be found to give it a luster and sparkle.
Clear glass vessels enabled the treats to truly stand out. I also wanted to make sure that clear glass domes were used in order to represent snow globes, something the client’s daughter adored (as do I!). It worked well with the theme, as if what was inside was something magical…
Cake Pop Bake Shop took a very detailed design from me and made the most extraordinary cake truffles and cake pops (with little holly leaves and a berry on top!).
Angela of Queen of Tarts Cakes crafted the most stunning cookies shaped like cupcakes, cakes, candy and tiaras – all with shimmer, of course!
Edible Details created the gorgeous light pink, rose and white fondant swirly and sparkly lollipops–pure sweetness!!!!
Little Snowflakes created the most precious white chocolate covered peppermint ganache mice – oh, aren’t they charming? I just adore these treats! She made the yummy peppermint bark as well.
The macarons were a true standout. Breathtaking. Bokolette took my color-scheme and made the most delightful sweets to match.
Kim of Sweeties by Kim made gorgeous pale pink white chocolate covered Oreos with a raspberry design (they are actually pink, though they look white in the photos) – pristine in appearance, and delightful to taste!
MORE DECOR DETAILS:
• Gorgeous and LARGE, fluffy pale pink tulle poms hung above the table, adding an element of frothiness, and grace; resembled tutus and cotton candy.
• A large glass bowl was filled with soft pink tulle and a range of sizes of pale pink and glittered cream Christmas ornaments.
• I created several Christmas trees (as that enormous Christmas tree in the ballet has always stood out to me). In keeping with the color-scheme, I created my own trees using fringed tissue festooning, pom pom trim, tulle trim and silver tinsel. The turned out incredibly magical and eye-catching and adorn both the kids party table and the dessert table.
• I had the pleasure of collaborating with Jennifer Birkhead of Jennifer Birkhead Design in Australia, to create the perfect invitation and party printables. She actually drew a macaron tower, beautiful desserts, even a tiny mouse wearing a crown–she is such a talent!
• I have always loved the idea of giving an item along with the invitation to build excitement about the event. For this client, we decided that each guest would receive a hardcover copy of a picture book of The Nutcracker Suite along with their invitation, which let them know they would be viewing a presentation of The Nutcracker Suite and enjoy Nutcracker Ballet-inspired Sweets as well!
• At the party, each guest will be receiving a large box, wrapped in pink and tied with gorgeous cranberry satin ribbon and with a lovely custom printed gift tag. In it will be sweet, simple, and fluffy no-sew tutus the client will be making herself. What a LOVELY treasure!
• Party Crackers: cardboard gift wrap tubes were cut into approximately 6″ sections, covered in light pink paper, then wrapped with layers and layers of tulle (either cranberry or pink), and tied with a beautiful ribbon in the opposite color. The client will be inserting the girl’s tickets to the matinee ballet performance inside of their “party cracker”.
• Nicole of Tradewind Tiaras created the most spectacular custom tiara for the guest of honor to wear at the party…I cannot say enough! Handmade and gorgeous.
• The girls will also be receiving ribbon wands made by Pinwheels and Pearls. These wands will give the girls the power to prance and twirl and enjoy hours of playtime!
I hope that this Nutcracker Suite Ballet Party has filled your head with visions of Sugarplum Fairies and served as a source of inspiration. Remember that above all–you can make a party look festive, magical and holiday, even in PINK!”