04 Nov

Creative Challenge: “HANGOVER” Party Ideas

Hi Everyone!
If you’re a repeat visitor to HWTM, you might have seen this post from a while back that explains the rather unconventional theme for our 10-year wedding anniversary - which somehow is less than 2 weeks away!

Over the course of planning, I’m running into the issue of not being able to find any really cool tiger themed desserts – cookies/cakes/cupcakes, etc to purchase. Lots of zebra & giraffe prints, but a shortage of tiger print… especially ones geared towards adults. My initial instinct was to go with the tiger theme in reference to Mike Tyson’s “pet” in the moviebut really we’re open to ANYTHING Hangover-inspired!

So… I’m thinking it’s time to reach out to all the talent out there and see if anyone is up to the challenge of creating a Hangover-inspired desserts and cakes – or even party favors & decor ideas! – especially since bakeries & etsy shop owners might actually be able to sell them to other people looking to do this theme, which could also work for birthdays, themed new year’s eve parties, an adventurous couple’s wedding shower or co-ed bachelor/bachelorette, etc.

I’ve included some of the elements we’re using for inspiration above (food labels, signage, decor, screen savers from the movie site, etc) in case it helps get the wheels turning. The key players are: tiger, chicken, casino chips, satchel (i.e. “man purse”), missing tooth, and hospital ID bracelet, which I’ll be personalizing for each of our guests! =)

With the fact that Hangover 2 is already in production, there’s a good chance this will be a popular party theme for years to come! If you’re interested, please send photos of your ideas to submissions {at} hwtm.com with HANGOVER in the subject line by next Wednesday, November 10th.  We’ll compile a gallery of the best ideas and feature them on HWTM, including credits and link backs to websites/blogs/etsy shops.

If you’re able to send photos of you ideas earlier than Wednesday (the sooner the better!), we might even be able to utilize them at our party next weekend, but either way at least there will be plenty of inspiration for others looking to host this theme in the future!

As a side note regarding the actual trip:
MANY of you mentioned on both the original post and Facebook that you’re planning to do a similar trip for your own milestone celebration (I’ve heard lots of 30th and 40th birthdays particularly!) – so I wanted to mention that we booked all of our rooms at Caesars Palace (in staying in theme with the movie) through Harrah’s Total Experiences - which is a group planning service that helps you customize your trips. Caesar’s is a Harrah’s property, so that’s the connection here. Since it’s a group trip, we were able to get a special room block rate for all of our friends… AND on the “Rainman Suite” where the actual party will be held… which also happens to be dubbed “The Suite that Inspired the Hangover“! Yay!! =)

32Comments

Lisa M. SAYS:

Can’t wait to see what people come up with!! we’re planning on doing this for our 5-year anniversary now too!

Reply November 4, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Rowaida Flayhan SAYS:

This so exciting Jenn good luck! wish u a wonderful and blessed Anniversary!

Reply November 4, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Melissa SAYS:

Maybe the desserts could be something baby related to Carlos, or just a cake with just about everything decorated all over it. You could give away aviator sunglasses as a favor or something that says “Did Ceasar live here” Or…..you could have a candy bar for desserts and label them different things and something that looks like pills could be called “floories”. That could also be a favor idea too…wrapped up candy that looks like pills and has your date on one side of the ribbon and “floories” on the other. You could also do something related to the “Little white chapel” Like cupcakes with the symbol on top. Favors could be photos of people with a border or background that looks like the cheesy photos they took in the chapel. Hope these ideas help :)

Reply November 4, 2010 at 3:57 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Thanks, Melissa! These definitely help and I’m heading to looking for bulk aviator sunglasses right now! :)

November 4, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Rachel SAYS:

What about cinnamon flavored desserts? I love that quote that Tigers love pepper but hate cinnamon . . . you could blow it up at the dessert table and go with the flavor theme instead of the tiger print.

Reply November 4, 2010 at 4:10 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Fantastic idea! We might even have to do 2 tables or a half & half version… one “tiger friendly” side & the other with the a tiger crossed out. Wheels are turning! ;)

November 4, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Brittany SAYS:

You could do the cinnamon cupcakes with some kind of nut and on the tag say “Cinnamon Cupcakes with Little Chinese Nuts” as a reference to Mr. Chow.

If thats too much you could do something like this… http://sites.google.com/site/cupcakeryatbagelofthenorth/_/rsrc/1265746847496/guest-cupcake-flavours/Guest-Tiger.jpg?height=200&width=150

OR you could do something with tiger butter and color the white part orange.

Reply November 4, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Latisha Horton (Eccentric Designs) SAYS:

This is too cute – awesome idea!

Reply November 4, 2010 at 6:02 pm

PartyMom SAYS:

It’s not totally original, but the first thing I thought was layering black and orange jelly beans or some other candies in an apothecary jar so they looked like tiger stripes.

Reply November 4, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Valencia Bryant-Lawrence SAYS:

I will go with the whole tiger theme….tiger print tissue paper from http://www.papermart.com pom poms to hang . Cake with a pair of aviator sunglassess or tiger print fondant. Cake with a cinnomon flavor to it. I’ll also have a huge suff or real tiger in the corner with a piece of steak laying next to it.

Reply November 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Franciely SAYS:

Just awesome your site.I may take a time to see almost everything.Congratz is wonderful!

Reply November 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Virginia Blue - Blue Fruit SAYS:

Because 2010 is the Year of the Tiger, I threw a New Year’s Eve dinner party last/this year with a full tiger theme. Guests could come dressed as anything that had a tiger reference – this varied from tiger tails to Tiger Woods and tropical outfits. The food all followed the theme, and for dessert I produced a Tiger Bombe Alaska, decorated in chocolate and vanilla meringue stripes. When I brought it out to the table all aflame, and announced it as a “Tiger, Tiger Burning Bright” bombe, there were shrieks of laughter and delight.

Reply November 5, 2010 at 5:43 am

margaret SAYS:

have you seen the cakepops by bakerella? she does some great things with animal print or even little tiger heads. super cute and super easy definitely worth a look! http://www.bakerella.com/

Reply November 5, 2010 at 6:11 am

Amy SAYS:

Above the candy station to can put for your sweet “tooth”.
There are also chocolate “casino chips” you could add as the party favors.

Reply November 5, 2010 at 6:51 am

Jen SAYS:

So cute!! Love the blog!

Jen

Reply November 5, 2010 at 9:08 am

Tiffani SAYS:

I’m doing this same theme for my hubby’s 40th and I have a TON of stuff! If you want some of the stuff I have shoot me an email. I am running out the door but can post later. Don’t forget the CHICKEN!! Everybody forgets about him… Poor chicken.

Reply November 5, 2010 at 9:38 am

Laurie SAYS:

Tiffani, I am thinking about doing this theme for my husbands 40th birthday too! It’s next January, so I have a whole year to plan. If you wouldn’t mind sharing what you did for your husband’s 40th, I would love the inspiration!!!

January 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Danielle SAYS:

Tiffani- I would love some of your ideas. I am planning my husbands 40th birthday party and he LOVES the hangover movie…so I’m going with that theme. Thought it would get alot of laughs. Any ideas you have, please post or email me. I will share with you what I think of as well. Thanks!

February 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Michele SAYS:

any of your girls that have already completed husband’s 40th birthdays do you have any other ideas ?!?!?! husbands bday is end of this month and I have already BORROWED several of the ideas from the QUEEN HOSTESS : ) would love any additional ideas or please share PICS !!!!
love the FREE printables but would LOVE something(anything) with 40 on it : )

thanks !!!