Halloween / Sweets 10.19.10

Fur Balls & String Monster Cupcakes

Fur Ball Monster Cupcakes

How adorable are these Fur Ball and String Monster cupcakes?! You could probably serve them any time of year, but they’d be really super-cute for Halloween too!

These wide-eyed little creatures are from the book What’s New, Cupcake?, which makes for a great gift idea for your favorite hostesses, moms (of all ages!), and party lovers. This book and sister book Hello, Cupcake! are actually 2 of my favorite gifts to give out. There are tons of ultra-creative designs that make even just flipping through them fun, including these Ants on a Cupake & Busy Bee creations.

string monster cupcakes

Read on for the full recipe & details of how to make both styles of cupcake monsters!

FUR BALL MONSTERS:

Ingredients:
– 12 vanilla cupcakes baked in orange, green, and purple paper
– 12 mini vanilla cupcakes, paper liners removed
– 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
– Neon green, orange, and purple food coloring
– 24 mini lollipops (Dum Dums), unwrapped
– 24 peach or green apple gummy rings (O’s)
– 24 brown mini candy coated chocolates (M&M’s Minis)
– 12 assorted color candy-coated chocolates (M&M’s Minis)

Directions:
1. Spoon 2 tablespoons vanilla frosting into a small ziplock bag. Divide the remaining vanilla frosting among three bowls and tint each a different color with the food coloring. Spoon each color of frosting into a separate ziplock bag, press out the excess air, and seal the bags.

2. Insert a lollipop stick through a gummy ring, pushing it through the candy from the center to outer edge. Bring the gummy ring up around the lollipop, like a bonnet, to make the eyes. Continue with the remaining gummy rings and lollipops.

3. Snip a small (1/8-inch) corner from the bags with the frostings. Pipe a dot of tinted frosting on top of the standard cupcakes. Place a mini cupcake on top, flat side down. Starting at the edge of the standard cupcake and using the tinted frosting, pipe furn with a squeeze-release-pull action. Continue until the entire exposed cupcake assembly is covered. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes and colored frosting.

4. Insert 2 like-colored lollipop eyes into the top of each cupcake assembly. Pipe a dot of vanilla frosting in the center of each lollipop and add a brown candy for the pupil. Add a colored candy to the top of the frosting for the nose. Repeat with the remaining lollipop eyes and cupcakes.

STRING MONSTER VARIATION:
Follow steps 1 and 2 above. Snip a small (1/8-inch) corner from the bags with the frosting. Pipe a dot of tinted frosting on top of the standard cupcakes. Place a mini cupcake on top, flat side down. Pipe the tinted frosting all over the cupcakes to make the string, making sure to cover cupcakes completely. Continue with step 4 above.

24 responses to “Fur Balls & String Monster Cupcakes”

1. Jeannette R. says:

How cute are these!!?!? I have “Hello Cupcake” but I haven’t bought “What’s new, cupcake?”…. I totally have to now! These would be great for my sons next bday!

2. Tiffany says:

I am totally making these for my son’s class Halloween party. I LOVE THEM!!!

3. Crystal Still says:

I LOVE This ! I have both books and am obsessed with making them all! So GOOD!

4. Mindy says:

SO creative and cute, love it!

5. Too cute! I will have to try these with my son.

6. These cupcakes are just adorable! FUN!!!

7. Notes from Holly St. says:

these are so cute and clever!

8. Holly Hatam says:

these cupcakes remind me of the sesame street characters…yip yip yip yip yip…

9. Krista B says:

I’ve made these before! They are super easy, just make sure you chill your icing a little bit before you pipe. It makes creating “peeks” or “hair” a little easier. Both books from these authors are fantastic.

10. Stacey says:

Any kid would love these little guys. Love the eyes!

11. These monster cupcakes are so adorable and they look equally delicious!

12. pink bridesmaid dresses says:

These are awesome. Monster cupcakes were always my daughter’s favorite. How I wish I had this recipe when she was young.

13. Claudi says:

Totally love these. Perfect for kids parties and much more!

14. Simple and cute. This is perfect for all occasion parties and the colors are great as well. It opens a lot of possibility for design with the fur and the colors. A great combination of artistic ability and baking skills. Thanks for this great idea.

15. PartyMom says:

These could be so cute combined with the new collection just introduced on Chickabug! Now I’m really wishing I had thrown a Halloween party this year!

16. Anon says:

Oh these are just adorable. It should be the right of every kid to have parties as joyful as these little monsters would make them

17. Theresa Z. says:

These are super cute. I wish I would have seen this last week when I was putting together my Son’s girlfriend’s birthday party. She would have flipped over these. I will make them for her next year.

18. Mindy says:

I tried making something similar to these and ended up with a drippy goopy mess! I should’ve took someone’s advice from the comments on chilling the icing to make it firmer and more artist friendly :(

19. Diana A in Omaha says:

love them!! I was wondering if you’d share the name of the font used on the pictures? the one that spells Monster & Fur Ball. thanks so much :)

20. ashleymcgarry says:

I love these so much! I am going to attempt them for my son’s preschool class next week! I’ve linked to your post here:

Have a great weekend!

Ashley

21. I love these monster cupcakes.They are perfect any time of the year for little boys who love MONSTERS!

22. Anna Toastbrot says: