DIY Tutorial: Gummy Candy Skewers

gummy fish candy skewer party favors

Stephanie from the fabulous Couture Parties created these oh-so-clever Gummy Candy Skewer favors for a “Preppy Beach Party” she recently designed, and she was kind enough to share a step-by-step tutorial with us here!

One of the best things about this favor idea is that it can easily be tailored to other themes too… For example: gummy tropical fruit skewers for luau theme, spiders/frogs/worms for Harry Potter or Halloween parties, butterflies for fairy parties, etc… so many options!

Full details on the candy skewers are below… and stay tuned for more details on Couture Parties Preppy Beach Party, including additional DIY projects – coming early next week!

gummy fish candy skewer party favors

YOU’LL NEED:

Gummy candy (I used rainbow fish, sharks, hammer head sharks, lobsters, and starfish – all purchased at Candywarehouse.com)
bakers twine (purchased at The Twinery)
craft punch (Martha Stewart crab punch from Michaels)
cardstock
bamboo skewers
clear bags (I used 4×6 bags from Papermart.com )
scissors
small hole punch

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Insert gummy candies onto the skewer, alternating from one style to the next. (Make it about an inch shorter than your clear bag so you have some room to tie the bag at the bottom.)

gummy fish candy skewer party favors

Tip: Only insert the skewer half way through the top gummy. This will ensure that the point of the skewer isn’t sticking out.

gummy fish candy skewer party favors

2. Punch out little critters with the craft punch and colored cardstock.

gummy fish candy skewer party favors

3. Using the small hole punch, punch a hole in the middle of the little critter.

gummy fish candy skewer party favors

4. Insert bakers twine in the punched out critter.

gummy fish candy skewer party favors

5. Place the bag over the gummy skewer and tie the bakers twine & critter on it to the base of the skewer

gummy fish candy skewer party favors

DONE! Easy, desirable party favor!

Thanks again to Stephanie for the FUN party inspiration!

31 responses to “DIY Tutorial: Gummy Candy Skewers”

1. DJA says:

So easy , thanks!!!!

2. Betty Islas Velazquez says:

These are way to cute!! Love the idea

3. Teresa says:

This is such a great idea! I can’t wait to use this for my twin daughter’s 3rd birthday party next weekend!

4. Love these. Easy to make and such a charming presentation. I adore the twine usage:)

5. Super cute idea! Thanks for sharing!!

6. Rowaida Flayhan says:

so cute love it

7. Camille says:

Super cute! Can’t wait to try different gummy candies and themes!!!

8. Tamara says:

how creative and CUTE!!! perfect for a candyland themed party too!

9. Emily says:

A great idea and so cute. Sure to be a favorite by all. I also love the simplicity of making it as well.

10. Blanche says:

Very cute but a little worried about the sharp point on the bamboo skewers with young kids…

11. We are home to the original Candy Kabob “Sweet Skewer” and wanted to share a quick tip: pre-punch your candy items (we use sterilized candy thermometer tips) and then skewer them onto a food/kid safe lollipop stick. Safe, sanitary and mess free. :-)

12. What a fantastic idea. I love that it is so simple but so colorful and fun!

13. Really very cute…i love it…

14. Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! Blanche, yes the sharp point can be a concern for the smaller bunch of kids, what can be done is after you skewer all the gumys on, you can snip the point off with some wire cutters, then the point is gone and you can place the last gummy on top :)

15. Gummy bears are my all time favorite. What a clever and colorful idea. Love it.

16. They are great! People are so creative!

17. Very cute alternative to a sucker! Another helpful little hint – if your working single handedly twist a little rubber band around the bottom of the bag after you have slipped your skewer in. Then tie your ribbon on and you will get a very nice, neat, tight and secure closure at the bottom. You can remove the rubber band after you have tied your ribbon on …or not. We use this little technique all the time on ANY of our cello bag products. Who knew a rubber band could be your helping hand!

18. Jenn says:

This is genius! I love it! Totally thinking about party favors for a Halloween bash :)

Thanks!

19. Such a great idea Stephanie!! And of course with your signature New England prep added into it ;) xo – Vanessa

20. Ana says:

Excelente propuesta, me gusta muchisimo, saludos

21. Great Idea.. I’ll use these for valentine treats for the kids school!! Love it!

22. Mai says:

so simple& CLEVER =) sweet treat for my niece’s “Blooming Spring” party is taken cared of now.

23. faby :) says:

awesome!
    whats the name of the font?

24. Love the ideas, so creative!
    My son’s birthday is this week and I’ll definetly be very inspired!
    Xoxo
    Andrea

25. Cindy says:

It is really hard to move the candy down the skewer!

26. Kirsten says:

These are amazing and you could switch it up to match any theme. Great job!

-Kirsten

27. Donna says:

I’m having trouble with the candy goofing up the stick. Should I soak the sticks or put candy in the freezer? I’m doing them for halloween.

28. I like this idea for my granddaughters upcoming birthday party