REAL PARTIES: Blue & Green Pool Party

modern pool birthday party ideas

Today’s real party feature is ridiculously fun!! It’s a birthday pool party created by Maureen Anders (and biz partner Adria Ruff) for her son Jeff’s birthday.

This refreshing take on the backyard pool party has great contemporary style and includes tons of creative details like cupcake “ice cream cones”, bagged lunches served in sand pails, and – my personal favorite – “don’t drink the pool water” water bottles!

modern pool birthday party ideas

Read on for lots more pics and all the creative party details, as told by Maureen…

modern pool birthday party ideas

We decided to throw a pool party for my son’s 5th birthday, and instead of going with a traditional theme like ‘under the sea’ or ‘beach,’ we stuck to a strict color scheme of ‘water tones’ of blue and green, along with fun patterns like houndstooth, stripe and check.

I used lots of blue and green pinwheels and buckets, as well as translucent blue and green baskets made of beach ball material to hold snacks.

modern pool birthday party ideas

Fresh squeezed lemonade and ‘Don’t drink the pool water‘ water bottles were the drinks of choice!

modern pool birthday party ideas

We served bagged lunches that had a homemade croissant sandwich, fruit cup with his party logo on top, and a bag of chips. The lunch bags were placed in a blue (for boys) or green (for girls) sand pail that had a napkin hanging over the edge (Ikea).

modern pool birthday party ideas

I personalized each ‘lunch pail‘ with the child’s name. They could take their pail anywhere at the pool – the tables we had setup, under an umbrella on a beach chair, or wherever they decided to eat their lunch!

modern pool birthday party ideas

We featured a sweets table with various sweets and treats that were mainly blue and green.

modern pool birthday party ideas

I decorated a fabric covered canvas for the backdrop (seersucker fabric) and made a pennant birthday banner that used greens and blues with modern, fun patterns.

modern pool birthday party ideas

I made sugar cookie pops and cupcakes in ice cream cones and set out blue gummy sharks, colorful lemonheads that included green & blue tones, and old fashioned candy sticks with a blue swirl design.

modern pool birthday party ideas

We also had organic lollipop (Earth Fare) covers that we designed to cover the lollis that stuck out of a blue/green wrapped box.

modern pool birthday party ideas

Pinwheels adorned the table in large apothecary jars.

modern pool birthday party ideas

The tables also had these fun translucent blue containers filled with goldfish because all of our kids’ friends love those crackers. It looked like the fish were in fish bowls!

modern pool birthday party ideas

Tissue poms are a great DIY project. We used them to line the iron fence entrance to the terrace of the pool where our party was held.

modern pool birthday party ideas

Party favors were customized sidewalk chalk containers for the toddlers and a box of legos wrapped in ‘water looking’ paper that said ‘when it gets too hot to play in the sun, go back inside and build your own fun.’  (My son is obsessed with legos, so that’s how we tied them into the party without throwing off the blue/green scheme!)

modern pool birthday party ideas

We also had bubbles that had custom labels on them for the prizes for the games we played.

modern pool birthday party ideas

Games played: biggest splash contest, ping pong ball toss (toss into buckets like the old Bozo the clown game), and we threw 150 ping pong balls into the pool and several had ‘5‘ written on them.  The children who found the special ‘5‘ balls (they floated), won the prize.”

Credits &  Resources:
– Photography – Adria Ruff Photography
– Desserts – Maureen Anders
– Printables: Anders Ruff Shop
– Paper Products – IKEA
– Pinwheels – Hobby Lobby
– Tablecloths – Garden Ridge
– Buckets – Michaels

{biz partners & party gals Adria & Maureen}

40 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Blue & Green Pool Party”

1. Stacey says:

What a perfectly preppy party…I love it!

2. Joyce says:

Love it!! I see lots of stuff that is from the Target Dollar Spot too!

3. Adriana says:

This party is so cute, I love the colors and all the details, they did such a great job!

4. Marisa says:

This party is amazing! Did you make all of the labels or did you purchase them? If purchased, who is the seller? I am trying to get ready for my daughters 2nd pinwheel party and would like to purchase some…

5. Betty Islas Velazquez says:

I love it!! I would love to recreate this party bash for my little one, using Orange and Red!

6. I love how they took this theme and made it their own. Love all of the extra details!

7. Love all the details! I bet the kids loved their lunch pails. Adorable!

8. Jenn Hardie says:

This looks amazing! I love all of the details.

9. Those personalized pails are a great idea, I’m loving the water bottle labels! You gave out lots of great stuff at this party, and it looks like the kids are having a blast!

10. Those personalized pails are a great idea, I’m loving the water bottle labels! You gave out lots of great stuff at this party, and it looks like the kids are having a blast!

11. ADRIANA says:

I love all the details!! I have to keep the lunch-pail idea for my next parties!!

12. Bre says:

This party looks fantastic! I love all the little details, the personalized sand buckets for every guest? Love it!

13. Claudi says:

This is adorable and inspirational! I love this blog!!!

14. no one does it better!

15. Rosilet says:

just one word…AMAZING!

16. suysel says:

maureen and adria are so amazingly talented! they are so fun and easy to work with as well which makes everything so enjoyable!

17. (Blush)…. So honored to be on your fabulous site. (Jumping for Joy)…

Love,
    Maureen and Adria
    andersruff.etsy.com

18. Adria Ruff & Maureen Anders says:

Hey Everyone – we’ve had questions about the party logos/labels/graphics from this party… just want you to know that we designed all of it!
    Check out our etsy shop for more designs!

Thanks for the sweet comments!!!
    Adria

19. claire says:

you guys rock!!!

20. Teena says:

Hi, Where did you get your cupcake toppers? I really LOVE them. I actually Love these colors im planning on doing the same for my son who is turning 4 next month.

21. Jenn @ HWTM says:

Hi Teena –

Maureen and Adria actually made the cupcake toppers! You can contact them through their etsy shop:

22. CHW Events says:

I love the Splish Splash theme! It’s perfect for summer birthdays!

23. kimberly holly says:

Coolest party ever!

24. ellen bessette says:

love the cupcakes and boxes you made for them. how did you make the boxes to hold the cupcakes?

25. Ellen! This is Maureen Anders (from Anders Ruff Custom Designs, designer of the party) – I got boxes at LOWES that were meant for sprinkler heads (Rainbird brand, to be exact) – they had the perfect size holes in them. I just covered them with wrapping paper and used an exacto knife to cut x’s in them in order to put the cones in.
    Hope that helps! If you have any other questions, my email is [email protected]

26. Jackie says:

L-O-V-E this! I will def be using some of these ideas for my son’s first birthday!

27. Laureen says:

Does anybody know the name of the font used in the labels? Thanks!

28. Brooke says:

This is SO cute! Where did you get the labels printed?

29. Tiffany says:

I love it how did you make the back drop

30. Maria Jaramillo says:

How did you get the labels for the bubble jars and everything else so perfect? Did you use a program or a template?

31. Allie says:

Is there ANYWAY to get printables for this party?

32. Oh wow! The decorations and set up looks really amazing. I’d love to have a party with similar decorations for my son.

33. Candace says:

Ok this party is Perfect and EXACTly what I am looking for for my Son’s 4th birthday party next week! ahhhhh. Will you please let me know where/how to get all of the labels, banner, supplies etc?? Thank you soo much!

34. Joanna says:

Hi Jenn- are these cute printables still for sale? I’m getting an error message when I clock on the link. Thanks!

35. Carey says:

Just wondering if you sell the ‘splish splash! birthday bash’ sign? We are doing a water theme for my son’s 6th birthday and would love this!!

36. Coral says:

Love the theme!! Having a swim party for my son in July! These are his favorite colors! Where dd you get the blue/white striped table cloths?

37. Ketki Raina says:

what did you use to personalize the pails? where did you get the letters?

38. Julia Rauscher says:

I was wondering the same thing about the pail letterng?