REAL PARTIES: Vintage-Inspired Tea Party

Vintage Tea Party Birthday Ideas

Get ready for a serious dose of adorable!

Sarah from a Very Story Photography created this whimsical, dress-up “Vintage-Inspired Tea Party” for her daughter Emma’s birthday… and fans of the vintage-eclectic style of Amy Butler, Liberty of London, and Anthropologie should especially love this one!

From pink lemonade served in mason jars and handkerchief “napkins” to tea sandwiches and colorful paper flowers, the attention to detail here is fantastic! This is also a party that “girls” of all ages can appreciate – it’s full of lovely inspiration for occasions like bridal & baby showers too… or even a Mother’s Day brunch.

Vintage Tea Party Birthday Ideas

Read on for lots more pretty pictures and all the party details, as told by Sarah

Décor:
“I used Amy Butler’s K & Company paper craft line and Paper Iris Pattern to make paper flowers.

I also created the happy birthday banner from her paper line, as well as placemats and cupcake toppers. All of the paper crafting supplies came from JoAnn’s.

Vintage Tea Party Birthday Ideas

I purchased the tea cups and saucers at various TJ Maxx and Marshall stores.  The vintage handkerchiefs (used for napkins) were a gift years ago from my grandmother, with exception to one hanky embroidered with my daughter’s initial; that was a gift purchased at Anthropologie.

Vintage Tea Party Birthday Ideas

The floral hat box is from Target’s Liberty of London line.

Vintage Tea Party Birthday Ideas

The tissue paper pom poms were made following the tutorial on Martha Stewart’s site.

Food & Drinks:
We served pink lemonade in mason jars…

Vintage Tea Party Birthday Ideas

…“tea” (sparkling juice) in tea cups, tea sandwiches for the five year old palette (pb&j and turkey & cheese), cheese and crackers topped with rosemary sprigs, fruit kabobs, classic tea cookies and mini cupcakes. All the food was prepared by us at home.

Vintage Tea Party Birthday Ideas

The vintage typewriter was a find in my in-laws basement!

Craft:
The girls made custom headbands and hair barrettes with fabric flowers and ribbon we had pre-made. The girls chose their colors and flowers and the adults hot glued them to the fabric headbands and barrettes (I purchased fabric remnants from JoAnn’s, ribbon from Hobby Lobby, and Goody brand headbands/barrettes from Publix.)

Favors:
We sent each party attendee home with the tea cup and saucer they used, their headbands and barrette crafts, and custom message cookies (using the Williams-Sonoma cookie cutters and recipe)– everything was individually wrapped in clear cellophane and secured with ribbon and a tag with each girl’s name.

Smile!
We set up a “photo booth” on our deck using a pottery barn kids quilt as a backdrop, I also used a vintage inspired patchwork quilt as a rug under the children’s table during the tea party.

Vintage Tea Party Birthday Ideas

The dress the birthday girl wore is from Matilda Jane’s Hammond Bay line.”

Thanks again to Sarah for sharing this wonderful party inspiration!

Photo credits: a Very Story Photography

34 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Vintage-Inspired Tea Party”

1. I love this idea! I recently posted a vintage-inspired baby shower ideas on my blog. Take a peek at http://www.chicgiftsbysass.blogspot.com.

2. Livy says:

I love this idea!

I would love to throw a tea party for my girl when she’s old enough. I bet those girls loved it!

3. Fabulous! I love every little detail.

4. Dani says:

I am in LOVE with all these details! What a great theme- and still fit appropriately for the guests! Those little ones must have had a blast! :)

5. What a cute party! I love the paper flowers. I bet those little girls just LOVED it!

6. ADRIANA says:

adorable.. loved the paper flowers!

7. Lisa says:

I am on a serious creative overload. This is wonderful, no detail was overlooked. Those handkerchiefs are divine and the teacups and saucers as party favors are…..well I’m speechless and this is a first. LOL.

Lisa xx

8. Tasha says:

This party is perfect. It is EXACTLY what I had in mind for a Fancy Nancy birthday party. The birthday girl decided she wanted Alvin and the Chipmunks, though. Who chooses Alvin and the Chipmunks? I planned it here: http://diyingtobedomestic.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/fancy-nancy-birthday-party/

9. vanessa says:

I would had ADORED this party as a 5 year old, and I’d still love it today! What a sweet idea and perfectly done! Some adorable teacup invites would make it fabulous.

10. glory says:

very chic and adorable!

11. Loving the head band idea… the typewriter was a cute touch!

12. Fabelicious says:

Such an adorable party! Love everything about it! I want to have a party like this for myself!

13. Amanda says:

This a great idea for a Mother’s Day brunch or a Ladies Tea. My mom and I love vintage tea cups and saucers. What a beautiful party!

14. 10x desserts says:

I just love the vibrant colors and details shown in this party. It’s the perfect inspiration for me to do something with all of my vintage tea cups that I recently posted on my blog.

15. OMG, what a cute idea! My daughter is about the same age as those girls in the photo and she would just love this sort of thing! Her birthday is coming up and I think a tea party will be just the thing. Thanks so much!
    T

16. What a fun party for little girls!!!! super cute!

17. Jenni says:

Love it! Such an adorable party!

18. I love tea parties – what a great idea for favors- love it!!!

19. Lindi says:

I just love the pink lemonade! The fabric tie makes it look so girly! And who doesn’t LOVE Liberty of London!!

love-the-day.com

20. LOVE, love luv it. So cute.

21. bridal girl says:

Totally love this! So creative and look like all the kids really had a blast!

22. Maureen says:

I lovvvvvvve the banner and the vintage typewriter. So creative! Awesome job!

23. m.y. says:

amazing idea!!

24. rose Gleichowski says:

Can you please give more details about the placemats?

25. Ineke says:

It’s really cute with many details what you did. Big compliment from a designer!

26. PartyMom says:

What great details. I especially like the paper flowers and the typewriter fitted with the perfect shade of pink paper.

27. Daisy says:

Oh, this party is my cup of Tea!!
    Daisy~

28. Leslie says:

I was searching on the web for some ideas on a tea party for my church. Your party is sooo inspirational for me!!! I love every thing you did. I will incorporating some of your ideas for our Mother/daughter tea for mother’s day. Thanks!!!

29. What a beautiful party! I love the pink lemonade mason jars. I just received a really cute teapot coloring page, if you get a chance check it out… http://twistynoodle.com/blog/girly-fun/teapot-coloring-pages/

30. Heather says:

Where did you buy the cellophane for wrapping up the tea cups? Also amazing tea party!!! It turned out perfect.

31. I love this and am planning a party in May based on many of these great ideas. Can't wait

32. Diane Thomas says:

I love this cute princess party. We are hosting a similar Princess Tea Party that has Premier Princess Parties' Snow White from PremierPrincessParties hosting and they will be dong a looking glass mirror craft instead of a hair piece. Thank you for sharing .

33. What size cello bags did you use for the tea cups and saucers? I'm having a hard time figuring out the right size. I'm making these tea cups with saucers for a wedding. The widest saucer is 6" in diameter.