Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

Oh my goodness… this dinosaur-themed party by Kim from The Celebration Shoppe is SO amazing! Such a fun theme for a birthday boy too! Absolutely loving it…from the happy colors and treats to the kids photo booth. Read on for tons of great photos and party details below, as told by Kim.

(Added bonus: to make things especially easy if you want to recreate this party for your own little one – you can purchase a lot of these party details!)

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

“Well, it is official. My youngest son is four… FOUR. And of course we celebrated in true dino-ROAR style, his absolute favorite. I shopped for just the right fabric, props, gifts, favors and activities for months and here are a few of the things I came up with. Let’s start at the candy table, the kids’ favorite… and maybe a few parents’ favorite too.

I found this beautiful fabric in the early planning stages and it made me think of the undergrowth of an overgrown forest. Use your imagination a little and you’ll be able to see it. Let’s face it, my T-Rex is blue so why can’t my forest be elegant with a splash of whimsy. {wink}

So starting with the cake tier – the centerpiece for my candy table – I made a T-Rex and a Stegosaurus topper, both inspired by a fabulous tutorial at A Baked Creation.

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

The table was teaming with treats, like salt water taffy,

licorice,

lollipops,

fruit chews (a.k.a. Skittles),

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

rice krispie treats embellished with the number four and his name (on the bottom tier of the cake display),

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

vanilla Oreo cookies in cupcake papers (found on Etsy at Hey Yo Yo) topped with our dinosaur cupcake circle pick and displayed on a piece of scrapbook paper that looked more like reptile scales than paper:

…and so much more!

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

My youngest son has severe food allergies, so as you can imagine I had a bit of a time pulling together a candy table that was both milk (at least “cow milk” as my son distinguishes) and nut free, but I’m a mom that is here to tell you that it can be done and it can still be yummy!

This is one of the primary reasons that I filled the containers with marshmallows instead of candies. Plus, it’s a cheap way to fill up your jars, so two wins in one!

As you can see above, my little guy liked the marshmallows as much as the lollipops!

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

As for the decorations on/above/around the candy table, there were many, but everyone’s favorite was probably the Pterodactyls flying overhead.

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

There were also large foam dinosaurs on the table that later became toys for my little boy. Those along with the Pterodactyls now grace his playroom. (I picked up the foam dinosaurs a few years ago from Step2 online, but I’ve not seen them around in a while.)

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

In addition to the candy labels, we also created a banner and signs/mats for each food station.

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

In addition to the well known Herbivore and Carnivore, the latest Paleontologist find is the Sweetivore, the candy eating dino. And if you have doubts, I have two descendants, minus the scales and tails, living in my house! {enthusiastic giggles}

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

Here are the Carnivore and Herbivore signs too. All three are now in the shoppe along with the banner and candy table tags.

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

And once all the yummy food was gone we had a few activities planned for the kids. My favorite was the photo booth!

At first I was going to hang a solid backdrop so that all the images would be uniform, but then decided to have them stand in front of my favorite out of control vines (that my late grandmother gave me) to the right of my pergola. They worked out perfectly. The kids looked like they were standing in the jungle… okay, again… a little imagination please.

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

They had about 12 dinosaur masks to select from and the only instruction was to ROAR! I just wish I would have had a video recorder with me too. They were hilarious!

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

This next pictures is just too cute not to share. My Cole and his little friend Nicole checking out each other’s masks:

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

I also had a little scavenger hunt set up with dinosaur skeletons hid around the yard, more like a hunt than a dig, but you get the picture.

And, I had coloring mats for them too… something to do while they waited on lunch to be served.

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

Here’s a picture of my little one blowing out his candle the day after the party. We served the cupcakes the day of and saved the cake for him. He really wanted the T-Rex on top! {I love you my little Coley Bear!}

Dinosaur Birthday Birthday Party Ideas

And if you want to recreate this party for your little dinosaur lover, stop by the shoppe – where you can purchase all the details!”

Thanks for the fun party inspiration, Kim!

36Comments

Bird SAYS:

Terrific!! :)

July 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Elisha Akram SAYS:

Too cute!

July 23, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Keisha - Cupcake Wishes & Birthday Dreams SAYS:

This is an adorable party! I love the rice krispie pops and the cupcake toppers are da best!

July 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm

SEND IN THE CLOWNS SAYS:

Great Job, Kim!
See our version of a Dino Party-aka The BIG *1*
for a 1yo…our fete included fun elements, such as a Tiny Tar Pit, & a baby-friendly Dino Foot Print Station, among other clever details.

July 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Jessica SAYS:

This is THE coolest boy party I have seen! I also have to admit that it actually made me a bit teary to see such an amazing dessert/snack table put together for a kiddo with allergies. My son has allergies to eggs, all nuts and dairy so it made me really happy to see this.

Thanks so much for sharing!

July 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Carrie SAYS:

Wow what an amazing party!!1 :)

July 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Heather @ PeachPizzazz SAYS:

So much color! I love how she tied in the paisley pattern!

July 23, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Cari SAYS:

This is amazing!!! LOVE it! For me though, waaaayyy too much candy. I’m a veggie-pusher. So I’d have to do away with all the sugar for veggies, even if they didn’t match =). But I love what you did with the decorations, Cole’s a lucky 4 boy!

July 23, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Adriana SAYS:

What a cool party, I love it!

July 23, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Deana SAYS:

Cute, cute, CUTE! My daughter has food allergies to milk, eggs & nuts. I just did a candy bar table with jars full of candies that she could eat & it didn’t even occur to me to use marshmallows as one of my treat items! I am now kicking myself in the butt! It would’ve been perfect color-wise & like you said “cheap” too!

Note to self for next year! :-)

July 23, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Stacey SAYS:

Such a fun looking party! She really themed it to the max!

July 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Chris @ Celebrations At Home SAYS:

I love all the things Kim does! She is such a talent! Great party!

July 23, 2010 at 5:36 pm

GLADYS SAYS:

I LOVE THIS !!
I AM GOING TO SUGGEST THIS TO MY DAUGHTER FOR MY GRANDSON’S BIRTHDAY.

July 23, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Holly of So Chic Decor SAYS:

If this isn’t the cutest party ever! My son would love it!

July 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Sugar & Spice Event Design SAYS:

The colors are great fun and can bring out the fun in any summer day!

July 23, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe SAYS:

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. We designed this entire collection with his birthday party in mind (mad scientist is next for my 6 year old) and he just loved it. As for the candy table, of course it’s all the rage, but more importantly my little one always feels a little left out at birthday parties when it comes to candy/cake so I just had to create something for him where he wouldn’t have to ask first. It was such a fun day! And Cari, I swear we had a nice herbivore station too! It just wasn’t as color coordinated and cute. ;)

July 24, 2010 at 5:24 am

Becky SAYS:

I love this party. We are doing a construction party for our 4 yr old twins next month. This post gave me lots of great ideas.

Strange coincidence that our son is named Cole and we call him Coley Bear too!

July 26, 2010 at 6:49 am

Emily from Spaghetti Arms SAYS:

Oh, I love this! Absolutely the most attractive, cheerful take on a dinosaur theme I’ve ever seen. I’ll be filing this one away for my little guy.

July 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Kristie SAYS:

Adorable party! I love the colors and fun, friendly dinosaurs. I’m hoping my son is still into dinosaurs for his next birthday party!

July 26, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Donna SAYS:

What fun, as we approach our first year of being grandparents and I have been given the task of coming up with party ideas for this year, little dinosaurs make a great theme. Party On!

July 27, 2010 at 2:15 am
Apologies, commenting is now disabled for this post.