DIY Tutorial: Mod Podge Tile Coasters

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

Jaime Curtis – one of the talented women behind the ultra-inspiring Prudent Baby – was kind enough to share this fabulous Mod Podge Tile Coasters tutorial with us!

The best thing about this type of project is that you can literally tailor it to any style & color palette you want… there are so many great gift wrap & scrapbook papers out there, so the sky’s the limit! Added bonus: they cost less than $5/set & made for a great gift idea too. Here goes with the DIY details:

DIY Mod Podge Coaster Tutorial

1. Purchase some tiles. I bought six of the cheapest tiles I could find in glossy white; it was under $2.

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

2. Trace your tiles onto your paper. I used these cute matryoshka and owl wrapping papers I found at the art supply store, but you can use any paper other than something printed on your inkjet printer (it will get all smeary):

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

3. Cut out the squares with an exacto knife – about 1/8″ to 1/4″ smaller then your square on each side – depending on how much tile you’d like to see as a border:

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

4. Apply a light coat of Mod Podge to each tile with a sponge brush, then center your paper on top. (Work on one tile at a time.) Use your fingers to press the paper nice and flat. Don’t lift it up once you get it on or it will rip and become a big ol’ mess. Let the tiles dry for 20 minutes.

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

5. While they are drying, cut out six squares of felt for the bottom of your coasters:

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

6. With your sponge brush, apply another light coat of mod podge to each tile. Let the coat dry for twenty minutes. Repeat this process five or six times.

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

7. When your tiles are dry, turn them over and glue the felt squares to the back.  I used rubber cement, but I think tacky glue would work too.  You could also use cork or those felt dots that normally go on the bottom of furniture legs.

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

Note: You can use your coasters the next day but don’t put anything HOT on them for a month – that’s how long it takes the mod podge to fully cure.  If you apply a sealant you can use them sooner, as per the directions on the sealant. (I used Polyurethane Spray.)

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

You’re done! Drink up!

DIY Mod Podge Tile Coaster Tutorial

P.S. Also – a BIG CONGRATS to Jaime on the upcoming release of her new bookPrudent Advice – which is now available for pre-order at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Indie Bound! More info here.

71 responses to “DIY Tutorial: Mod Podge Tile Coasters”

1. Gayle says:

I am so impressed with this tutorial! I can’t wait to try it out. They would make fantastic save the dates or wedding favors or just a terrific gift! Thanks!

2. What a fantastic idea for a personalized gift! I’m bookmarking this one :) Thanks so much for sharing.

3. persis says:

wonderful DIY!

just passing by your blog and i have to say its GORGEOUS. do drop by mine too when you have some time. perhaps we can follow each other. =)

Persis.

4. Stacey says:

Great project! You’re right – that would make a great gift! Hostess gift or new home gift. Can be very personalized. Thanks for sharing!

5. Hillary says:

very impressive! very cute designs and perfect for kids party

6. Love these! Will definitely be trying. Thanks for sharing :)

7. jaime says:

what a great treat to be on HWTM today! thank you!

8. Amazing tutorial, I love using Mod Podge. I’m going to try this!

9. Thanks for the quick and easy craft idea that’s perfect for home decorating or a great gift idea!

10. JennK says:

This is a great tutorial! I love this and plan to make a few of these myself.

11. JennyLove says:

what a great DIY tutorial! xmas is just around the corner and guess what everyone on my list will be getting?! thanks for sharing!

12. Cassandra says:

Great Idea! I LOVE to decoupage!

13. bridal girl says:

Wow! So cool! I am not a DIY person so I never thought creating coasters is this easy! Thanks so much!

14. Mj says:

SUPER cute!
    But one question… I thought that Mod-Podge was not water proof? Wouldn’t a sealant of some sort be necessary? Hopefully I’m wrong!

15. Bernadette says:

Love this! Also, what fonts did you use above? Thanks!

16. Candace says:

I found these exact wrapping papers in a store in TORONTO, CANADA
    If you’re interested, I’m not sure of the store name but it is a card and gift shop.

It’s on the North side of Bloor St., East of Bathurst.

They also have lots of other fun and creative things for hosting, baking, creating etc.!

17. Jenn @ HWTM says:

Thanks for the tip, Candace! :)

18. Victoria says:

Hi,

This is such a cute idea! Can’t wait to try it out. We do party favors maybe we can connect check us out at http://www.wrapasweet.com, also http://www.anyatylerfavors.com

19. Anita says:

Very nice idea.

20. delissa says:

I used 12×12 tiles and made wall hangings. Then I used plate racks to hang them on the wall. With some scrapbook paper and any other embellishments they make very inexpensive art. I just layerd the different papers with modge podge and then sealed it all.

21. Sierra says:

A great place to get CHEAP tiles is the Habitat Home Store, the shop that is part of the Habitat for Humanity service organization. They sell new and salvaged home items for a great low price, and they always have a ton of tiles of every size. Happy crafting!

22. Just-in says:

Wow! Such a clever idea! Thanks for the great tutorial!

23. doro says:

love this!
    great choice of paper.

i’m linking. i hope you agree.

thanks for this tutorial.

doro

24. Just-in says:

Wow! Such a wonderful idea! Thanks for the great tutorial :)

25. @mysquirrel says:

I can never find coasters that I love so this is the perfect project and one I can do with my 4 year old. Thanks Jaime!

26. Cookie says:

love this,, granma cookie

27. PYR says:

Just made these with my 5 year old son for a house warming gift for my SIL.
    I used a flowered print paper and it came out beautiful. I bought the tiles from our local craft store for 95 cents a piece. Tomorrow we are going back to the craft store to see if we can find a box to put them in!
    Thanks for the great idea!

28. Heather says:

I made these on a whim for a baby shower gift and put them on my blog back in June. So funny. It was a sailboat theme shower and nursery so I made them as wall hangings.

diydujour.com

29. Ray Ray says:

I absolutely love these!!!!!
    im having a home made xmas this year and didnt have a clue what to make for my dad
    these will be perfect with mini and car patterns
    :) love it :)

30. Jenny Aubrey says:

And be sure NOT to stack them up for a while either! Learned that one the hard way. They will stick to each other then you have to pry them apart. Then the top side is fuzzy from the felt of the bottom of the one that was on top of it. Ever tried to shave a coaster? It’s not fun. Other than that, this is a great project. My kids had so much fun with it.

31. gertie says:

Now I know why I bought that box of tiles for $5 three years ago at the thrift store!

Wonderful job! Thank you for sharing.

32. Keri says:

I made something similar to this for Christmas gifts in 2009. My Mom had 3 boxes of leftover tiles from her kitchen remodel so I decided to make photo tiles. I lightly sanded the tile, printed pictures I liked of my friends sized to the tile, sprayed a photo protector/sealant on the pictures so the ink wouldn’t bleed then used mod podge to attach the photos to the tile. I used a ruler to get all of the air bubbles out and let them dry over night. The next day I used a resin type sealant, got some ribbon and attached it to the back like an upside down V with Gorilla glue. They’re still hanging on many walls today and they looked great!

• Claire Contreras says:

This sounds awesome! What kind of sealer did you use? Poly-urethane spray like she suggests? Is that availalbe at craft/hardware stores?

33. Carla Coffee says:

Can you use the tiles that are hole-y?I think this is a great idea and I already have some of those tiles…

34. Jujubees says:

This was my first DIY project that I actually remember liking. I was a fence-building-sheep-shearing-hay-bailing girl growing up and hated craftiness. But this last Christmas I made these and learned to love a bottle of mod podge and it’s as important on the grocery list as milk and eggs now!

35. Katherine says:

I’m doing a project for my typography class and this is exactly what I needed. THANK YOU!

36. renea turner says:

can u do these w/ pix do u think? I’m thinking that would be great for a g’parent doing certain years of pix. After the season/holiday is over u can buy printed paper napkins for a .25 a pack sometimes. This would be a great way to always have seasonal coasters. Hope to hear from u about being able to doit w/ actual pix or even art work ur child has done.