REAL PARTIES: Grumpy Old Men Birthday

Grumpy Old Men Birthday Party

Today’s Real Party feature is just way too much fun! This refreshing & unique “Grumpy Old Men Day” was submitted by event planner Jesi of Jesi Haack Weddings, but the idea was actually dreamed up by her husband Ryan as a clever way to celebrate their friend’s 30th birthday.

(BTW – Ryan Haack also shot these amazing photos, which honestly look like they came straight out of a cool magazine spread! Check out his photo blog here.)

Grumpy Old Men Birthday Party

Read on for a full rundown of the day’s events, as told by Jesi – and more fantastic images from Ryan

The Ultimate Man Party! Who says girls have to throw all of the fun parties??

Here is an amazing day of craziness involving a 30th birthday, old men clothes, coughing, pipes, and other dude shananigans that will make the women proud and the men jealous…

5:00 am – All friends secretly meet and put on their wardrobes (thrift store old men outfits)

Grumpy Old Men Birthday Party

5:15 am – Surprise Issac (the Birthday Old Man) by waking him up with major coughing and hacking

Grumpy Old Men Birthday Party

5:20 am – Style the Birthday Old Man in the previously chosen thrift store attire

5:30 am – Arrive at the local donut shop and read newspapers in the dark

6:00 am – Longboarding at local surf spot

9:00 am – “work on the car” time (not in the original plan, but the battery died from leaving the lights on)

10:00 am – Breakfast at Omelette Parlor, a local breakfast nook

11:00 am – Golf time! 18 holes

2:00 pm – Lunch at clubhouse + whiskey, scotch and pipe smoking

3:00 pm – Shenanigans in the parking lot

3:30 pm – Jacuzzi time to soothe the muscle fatigue
(4pm: Local PD helicopter flew overhead because of their rowdiness)

Grumpy Old Men Birthday Party

4:30 pm – One old man’s shoulder dislocates during a swim race (yes, this really happened!)

Grumpy Old Men Birthday Party

5:00 pm – BBQ for an early “supper”
9:00 pm – Retire the canes and head for beers at Goat Hill Tavern, a local dive bar”

Thanks again to Jesi & Ryan for all the great inspiration!

P.S. This theme would also work fabulously for milestone birthdays beyond 30 too!

39 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Grumpy Old Men Birthday”

1. Breanna says:

I think this is the best party theme I’ve ever seen! LOVE IT!

2. shawna says:

omg love it….I new these were Newport hotties when I saw them!!!!

3. Wow, wow and wow again. I am dying over these photos…they are AMAZING.

Such a fun idea, just a goregous post!

Thanks for sharing

4. Sarah Z says:

Love it! The photography is great!!

5. kaysi fox says:

ok, i LOVE this, so cute & great pictures!!

6. cammi says:

I must say… I love, love, love this idea! I love the photography, too – great job planning and executing this one!

7. Amanda says:

This was so cute! Im about to turn 30 myself…wonder if I could do an old lady party…what do old ladies do???

8. So refreshing to see a GUY party….and good looking ones to boot! :) Fantastic!! The photos are amazing….

9. Eleanor says:

Um, seriously? Incredible ideas, beautiful photography and SO creative. What a fun way to celebrate!

10. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by wbsmichelle: Not what I was expecting but so much fun:

11. Lola says:

Goes to show men don’t have to have sleazy when having a good time. Great idea!

12. Marcia says:

Great party! Very inspiring. Love those pics he got. And Amanda, if you want to do it up for an old ladies party, I’d theme it a la Golden Girls style. Cue up some old episodes of Golden Girls and let Blanche, Rose, Sophia & Dorothy inspire you!

13. Jacz says:

I need a nap, just from looking at these pics.

Old ladies eat cheesecake (The Golden Girls).

14. Wendy says:

What a briliant idea for man-date/ man party!!!! I will have to remember this one!!! :) And ending the night at The Goat Hill?! I love that place!!! Best dive bar in Orange County, CA!

15. Fabulous photos!!!!!!!!! Just stunning, and creativity overload!

16. jenn!!!! What a beautiful layout for our fun post! You are amazing, thank you!!!

17. I absolutely LOVE this post! Ryan and Jesi are so talented and the sweetest couple ever! Ryan keeps amazing me with his photos…so talented!

18. Mr. Haack says:

Jenn…This looks awesome. Thank you.

19. featherbed says:

Nice to see a guy-oriented party – thanks for sharing :)

20. […] up a while back?  So hilarious and inventive.  Mr. Haack caught it all on his lens, so go over to Hostess with the Mostess immediately to see the feature!  I am so […]