Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas – Part 1

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

For all the Harry Potter fans out there – or parents of fans looking to throw a themed birthday bash for your little ones – I wanted to share some of the 12 Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas that I recently worked on for iVillage.com, which include everything from themed food & drinks to favors & activities!

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

You can find all the how-to info on each project over at iVillage, and detailed images of the first 6 projects in this post. (Part 2 with images of the next 6 projects will be posted on Monday.) Here goes…

PARTY PROJECTS 1-6:

1. Quidditch-Inspired Party Favors inspired by Martha Stewart’s Halloween Witch Brooms – but this Harry Potter” version features edible pretzel rod broomsticks, gold ribbon accents (to mimic the gold detailing on the Quidditch brooms), and is filled with “Honeyduke’s Special Wizard’s Treat Mix” (pictured below).

2. Magic Color-Changing Drinks (pictured above)

3. Honeyduke’s Special Wizard’s Treat Mix – featuring edible Honey Nut Chex Mix, Gryffindor-inspired burgundy and gold M&M’s, and novelty gummy candies like spiders, frogs and worms + a free downloadable treat sign:

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

4. Potion Jar Centerpieces – featuring magical (and mostly creepy!) ingredients from the series like Bloodworms (spaghetti with marinara), Gillyweed (backyard weeds in green-tinted water) and Hippogriff Gizzards (canned oysters) + free downloadable jar labels (jars purchased at Ikea)

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

5. Official Hogwarts Party Invitations

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

6. Transfiguration Booth – a themed DIY Photo Booth / fun dress-up activity!

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas

Stay tuned for Part 2: Projects 6-12, coming soon!

51 responses to “Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas – Part 1”

1. Alison says:

OH MY GOD….ohmygodohmygod….
    This is the CUTEST thing I’ve seen in weeks. LOVE THIS!! I think I want to throw a party now…

2. Elisha Akram says:

This is party theme and design is fabulous!

3. Robin says:

Some really great ideas! Love the labels on the jars, kids would love this! So many of these ideas could work for a regular Halloween party if Harry Potter ever loses popularity, although that’s not likely to happen anytime soon!

4. Tina Saib says:

WOW! I love all the ideas, and can’t wait to use this at my kids birthday party!

5. Kim says:

Am I too old to have this party for my birthday? Seriously, love it!

6. Valerie Allen says:

So, so awesome! I can’t wait for my girls to get old enough to enjoy HP so we can have a HP themed party.

7. Pili says:

Amazing! I need to have this bookmarked!

8. [email protected] At Home says:

Those are amazing ideas, Jenn!

9. leah says:

I am throwing a wizard party for my son in june. These are great ideas, maybe I will have to add some to his party. Thanks.

10. Erin says:

So, so cool!! What a great idea… and with so many amazing details. Love it!

11. Kim says:

Great details! Love it! My sister would die for this party! (and she’s almost 30 lol)

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    party inspiration

12. amanda Kreller says:

Seriously amazing!! Love it and wish I had a reason to throw this party!!! As always, thanks for sharing!!

13. gina says:

Colored drinks. Simple. Brilliant. Epic.

14. Magical ideas! I particularly love the colour changing drinks – my kids would love this!.
    I made some dinosaur eggs that could easily become dragon eggs, and would make a great addition to the Harry Potter theme. You’ll find them here

15. Wow! Brilliant execution and fun ideas for the kids

16. JIll says:

Where was this when I did my daughter’s HP party last October? THis would have saved me a LOT of work. Cute ideas. Thanks for the continuted inspiration.

17. twin xl says:

So many creative ideas!!! Love the broomstick favors :)

18. Cool ideas. I just threw a Hogwarts party for my 7 year old. It was so fun!

19. […] to Jennifer Sbranti best known as The Hostess With The Mostess, for teaming up with  iVillage for 12 Easy Ideas for a […]

20. Heather says:

What a treasure trove of great ideas! Makes we wish my kids were old enough for Harry Potter!

21. You have the best idea of party favors, really really amazing! It will surely bring happiness in kids party!

22. andriaa says:

I can’t find more info on how to make the magic color-changing drinks. The link won’t work for me. Can anyone help? Everything is just so darn cute!

23. Tiff says:

Hi Jen. HELP… please. I am going to do a Harry Potter themed party for my son’s 8th birthday – I am looking at your HP party for inspiration and ideas (as usual :) Do you have any downloads for all of the cool signs you used?? Thanks!!

24. […] * Need some hip ideas for a Harry Potter themed party, check out the Hostess Blog. […]

25. Anne says:

Thanks for the creative ideas… I am taking 3 and using for my son’s Harry Potter party!

26. Lucy says:

Awesome ideas!!

27. emma says:

im in a mother daughter book club and my daughter loves harry potter these will be great.i also recommend the unofficial harry potter cookbook

28. Mandy says:

These are great Ideas. Thank you. Does anyone know of any “magical” ideas for a party for adults though?

29. […] ne dite? L’idea non è mia. L’ho mutuata da un post Potteriano molto interessante: se avete un po’ di tempo andate a darci un’occhiata! […]

30. I'm using the theme for my high school graduation invitations… LOL MATURE MY ASS.

31. andrea says:

why do all the links take you to a pregnancy website instead of the details??

• jenn s. says:

Hi Andrea – It looks like iVillage moved the location of the article on their site since the first time this posted (a few years ago). I just updated the links so hopefully they’ll work for you now – thanks for the heads up! :)

32. […] Potter Birthday Party Ideas – Part 2posted in:Kids PartiesTheme PartiesIn continuing with Friday’s post, here is Part 2 of the 12 Harry Potter Birthday Party Ideas, with additional series-inspired […]

33. Lisa says:

Awesome stuff! Thanks so much for sharing :)

34. […] è nata vedendo un post su Harry Potter, per cominciare ho inciso un sacchetto facendo delle frange dal bordo fino a pochi centimetri dalla […]

35. […] Quidditch Treat Bags […]

36. Dana Toffee Burring says:

Using this for my Sweet 16th lol

37. […] Quidditch Treat Bags.  Brown paper bags and pretzels make great broomstick treat bags that mimic the ones used in all the Quidditch matches, find them at Hostess with the […]