Get Inspired: DIY Parasol Topiaries

paper parasol tutorial

Don’t you just love it when you stumble on something fabulous by accident?

For example, while doing some research on parasol-themed centerpieces for a summer party, I came across this ultra-clever Paper Parasol Tutorial from Craft Stylish that utilizes inexpensive drink umbrellas in a party-perfect new way!

paper parasol tutorial

This idea for spring/summer parties in general – and I’m thinking the festive colors on this particular design would make it a great party decor idea for Cinco de Mayo festivities… maybe swapping out the traditional terra cotta pot for a more colorful pot/planter or using a small galvanized metal bucket (like the ones Mexican restaurants often use to serve Coronas). And for the filler at the top of the base – try sand, dry beans, or tortilla chips instead of rice.

And an easy way to modify this for a summer Luau: cover the base with tiki/hula skirt-style fringe (which you can purchase or create yourself using raffia), and fill the base with sand and sea shells. It would also be cute to mix a few tropical flower blooms in with the paper parasols at the top of the topiary.

What else could we do with this concept? =)

44 responses to “Get Inspired: DIY Parasol Topiaries”

1. Eleanor says:

These are great! So festive!

2. Alexis says:

Love it, so colorful and fun!

3. Nicole says:

So cute! But what I really want to know is where that adorable teapot is from! I love it!

4. Allyson says:

Baby showers! Blue/Green/Yellow for boy, Pink/Green/Yellow for girls with coordinating ribbon! Or all white (Do they exist?) for a summer wedding. This would be cute for beach parties too. OOOooooo, juices are flowing! Love this idea.

5. The Fairy says:

I could see these at a carnival party too!

6. Victoria Persich says:

Im from Westtern Australia and just found this website amasing I particularly love this one. Fabulous work….

7. How clever is that! I love the colors and the idea!

8. bilo says:

So festive, especially with the bright colors!

9. What a simple and eye catching idea! Perfect for an outdoor wedding shower by the pool! For a different take on this look, you could even pray paint the umbrellas gold!

10. neli says:

Wow !!!!
    I love them!!!!

11. Courtney says:

Love it! So festive!

12. What a really cute idea! So fun and summer-y!

13. Wow! these are fantastic! I’ve seen this done with ricepaper lamp shades as well….

14. lovely idea! Jenn I miss your tweets!

15. Kristy ~ Posh Pixels Design Studio says:

Fabulous! I love it!

16. Susan says:

This is an adorable idea!

17. This is such a great idea! I love the look of topiaries and have purchased many rosemary and mini-evergreen ones – all dead! I either water it too much or too little. This is a sure winner!

18. Gwen says:

This is so adorable! I’m ready for a summer BBQ.

19. Cheri says:

Thanks for the idea! I’m having a Monkey Luau for my daughters first birthday and wanted something fun as decor. This is perfect and not so “kiddie” for all the adults.

20. such a simple project and the result is gorgeous! i’ve got to make these at least once this summer – thanks for sharing!

21. Elle Sees says:

It’s the simple ideas that make the most impact, sometimes. Festive and cool. Just in time for tiki parties and summer parties.

22. Aidan says:

This is such a cute idea! Some friends of mine and I are throwing a poolside baby shower for another one of our friends and have decided to make these with her colors (white, pink, and orange).

I am just having trouble finding solid color parasol picks…

23. You can get all the materials you mentioned (including small galvanized buckets) at Dollar Tree right now! They also have paper parasols.

@Aidan, use spray paint to paint the parasols the color you want. Open them and pick them in a styrofoam square, and then lightly spray them.

I made a lamp with a similar idea to this: http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2010/01/cocktail-umbrella-lamp/

24. Anna G says:

I agree with an earlier commenter, I need to know more about the teapot!

25. This craft project not only looks like fun—it will be the “center” of attention at any party! Thanks for sharing this!

26. Bea says:

Great DIY! Made these for a bridal shower I co-hosted this weekend – they are spectacular in person! I posted pictures on my blog:

27. So flipping CUTE!!!! what an awesome idea! LOVE!

28. […] * Get inspired by this DIY table parasol topiaries on Hostess with the Mostess. […]

29. Kelli says:

I’m totally using this for my son’s beach-themed 1st birthday party! I have these great orange and yellow square containers and I’m thinking of buying the smallest kid sized craft flip flops to glue around the container. Or maybe some kind of surfboard decoration – or some of each!

30. […] kind of pot, like the clay flowerpots that Jeffery used above. Hostess with the Mostess suggests using galvanized metal buckets or colorful planters for a Cinco de Mayo […]

31. Darling!!!I featured your DIY parasol topiary in my cinco de mayo round up!Thank you so much for sharing :)Amandafrillsandfrolic.blogspot.com

32. […] via Bump Smitten, The Party Dress, Baby Life Styles, Hostess with the Mostess, Fleur de […]

33. […] Make a parasol party pom or topiary – via Hostess with the Mostess « Golf party: Liam is 1! blog comments powered by […]

34. […] Make a parasol party pom or topiary – via Hostess with the Mostess 12 COMMENTS ◄  Older Post Golf party: […]

35. Amber says:

Where did you get the drink umbrellas with no designs on them?

36. […] those paper parasols can decorate more thank your drink. They can do centerpieces, wreaths, even topiaries. To get the look featured above, stick the parasols into a foam or wooden wreath and you will have […]