26 Mar

REAL PARTIES: Ice Cream Shoppe Theme

ice cream shoppe birthday party ideas

Today’s Real Party is – in a word – DELICIOUS!

This Ice Cream/Candy Shoppe theme was created by Pooneh Shakoori and friend/event planner Sheri Valainis for her daughter’s 5th birthday party, and there’s actually also some great inspiration here for a Pickles & Ice Cream or Cravings baby shower!

ice cream shoppe birthday party ideas

Read on for TONS of adorable & inspiring images, as well as a description of the party as told by Pooneh…

ice cream shoppe birthday party ideas

My daughter, Tara loves sweets, so an ice cream/candy party was the perfect choice for her 5th birthday celebration.

ice cream shoppe birthday party ideas

We chose to host the event at our local Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor which recently opened at The Mission Viejo Shops, in Orange County, California. I asked my girlfriend, Sheri, with Sheri Valainis Events, to help me.

We wanted to completely transform the space into a magical, sweet candy palace.

For the table centerpieces, we alternated between giant ice cream sundaes and glass jars filled with sundae toppings.

ice cream shoppe birthday party ideas

To tie the look together, we also created whimsical marabou ice cream cone centerpieces with hot pink and lime green blumeboxes and set them on each end of the tables.

ice cream shoppe birthday party ideas

{Side note from Jenn: I was able to recreate the round, fluffy “ice cream scoops” for the sugar cones by tying a piece of marabou boa in knots – on on top of the other – until the boa ball reached the ideal size for the cone. Trim off any excess boa and place the trimmed end down inside the cone.}

Each place setting featured an “ice cream cone” made out of cake cones, pink carnations, and a red gumball for the “cherry on top!

ice cream shoppe birthday party ideas

To add to the ambiance, we created a candy table straight out of Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. The kids loved it!

ice cream shoppe birthday party ideas

We kept the children busy with ice cream and candy related crafts and ice cream themed games.

ice cream shoppe birthday party ideas

A great time was had by all!

80Comments

Nadine SAYS:

Gorgeous and what a wonderful job!
Love the attention to detail.

March 29, 2010 at 7:19 am

Denise SAYS:

So cute!!! I wanted to do a candy-themed party for my daughter’s next birthday….but she insists on Fancy Nancy. So she’s having a FN party with a candy buffet…everybody’s happy!
I would really love to know where you found the scooper spoon that is in the gum ball vase?

March 29, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Mrs. R SAYS:

also love this idea for a baby shower… gorgeous!

March 29, 2010 at 2:33 pm

birthday party supplies SAYS:

I love the color combination . Great party ! Very cute and lovely .

March 30, 2010 at 4:51 am

Diapers and Divas SAYS:

Love the centerpieces! Amazing idea! This would make a really great baby shower theme too. How fun!

March 31, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Kitchen Runway SAYS:

Wow – what an amazing birthday party!

April 1, 2010 at 11:43 am

Victoria SAYS:

I absolutely LOVE the ice cream cones with the maribou poofs on the top! ADORABLE. I will definitely be drawing some inspiration from this :)

April 4, 2010 at 10:25 am

Tanya SAYS:

Love the candy buffet and seen the tags on other sites can someone tell me are they on a software I tried Microsoft Word and publisher can’t find it or are they purchased and where can I get them.

April 5, 2010 at 3:18 am

Jazmine SAYS:

I love this theme…Is there any way you can email me a location where I can find the Ice cream sundaes giant bases or glass jars? I love them!!

April 15, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Lisa Gresham SAYS:

I love this! I am planning a bridal shower and I am thinking of using this and doing a Love, sweet love theme. It seems a bit risky to do for a bridal shower but I think it would be unique and fun. Anybody care to give me your 2 cents? Would so appreciate it.

April 20, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Jenn @ HWTM SAYS:

Hi Lisa –

I love the idea of tailoring this party to a bridal shower! My advice would be to use a more “grown up” color palette like red, pink, black & white, add some stylish ribbon details featuring a chic pattern like damask or mod dots… and maybe pull some additional inspiration from these themes:

Good luck! :)

April 21, 2010 at 8:00 am

Lisa Gresham SAYS:

Thanks Jenn. Now I have the confidence to go for it :) Appreciate your input so much.

April 22, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Brooke SAYS:

Where can I buy the tags like the ones on the candy jars and the chinese take out boxes

April 28, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Lauren SAYS:

Sooo cute! Would someone mind sharing where I can purchase these tags, or the template used to create them? My daughters birthday party is next weekend and we are doing a “Parfait” station. :)

May 8, 2010 at 6:29 am

Lisa Gresham SAYS:

Lauren you can go to etsy.com and there are many people who sell print your own tags that you can have specially done for your party. It usually costs around $5 for the design on jpeg file and then you just print and cut them out using cardstock. You can even take the file to a print shop in your area and they can print them for you.

May 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

Sandra SAYS:

That is sooo sweet and cute, love it!

July 14, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Cookery School SAYS:

Love the centerpieces!

July 15, 2010 at 7:44 am

Janelle SAYS:

Love the tall sundaes! Where do you find the parfait dishes?

July 19, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Miriam and Sophia SAYS:

cute. really really cute. an excellent, immaculate, exquisite, and fantastic party! an excellent choice for a girl of any age!

August 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm

pooneh SAYS:

I found them at a local craft store. You could possibly find it at tall mouse

February 11, 2011 at 12:01 am

ellen bessette SAYS:

I love,love,love this! I’m curious to see if you had a cake or cupcakes for the bday girl. And where did you find the runners for the tables? thanks!!!

August 28, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Pooneh SAYS:

Hi Ellen, I just used wrapping paper for the runner. Thank you for the sweet comment.

February 10, 2011 at 11:56 pm
Apologies, commenting is now disabled for this post.