DIY Inspiration: Japanese Washi Tape

japanese washi tape DIY projects

Elizabeth from To Be Charmed sent over some fabulous DIY inspiration starring Japanese washi tape that she thought you guys would love – and I couldn’t agree more! In fact, I can’t wait to try this stuff out myself and just researched a bunch of different places to purchase washi tape (resources listed below).

If you’re not yet familiar with Japanese washi tape, it’s basically a multi-purpose adhesive tape (similar to masking tape) that’s used for things like gift-wrapping embellishments and arts & crafts projects.

japanese washi tape DIY projects

Pictured above and below are some fantastic examples from Elizabeth that demonstrate how the tape looks applied to vases and paper cups.

These examples utilize bright colors and fillers that are perfect for Spring… she even uses simple white eggs as a filler in of the vases – great inspiration for Easter celebrations!

japanese washi tape DIY projects

Click here for more tips and DIY details from Elizabeth over at her {absolutely adorable!} blog. She also includes some helpful hints that she learned along the way to help make things easier on you.

japanese washi tape DIY projects

japanese washi tape DIY projects

Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth!

Japanese Washi Tape – Where to Buy:
(The following shops have a GREAT selection of colors & patterns!)

Happy Tape
Washimatta
Pretty Tape
FindTape.com

36 responses to “DIY Inspiration: Japanese Washi Tape”

1. Aggie says:

That is just way cool!

2. Lila Ferraro says:

So gorgeious! Totally puts me in the spring mood!
    Lila Ferraro
    Queen Bedroom Sets

3. Helena says:

I love what she did!! really really lovely job!

4. Deemarie Parsons says:

Cool projects! I will also check her blog.

5. Dognbird says:

This is simply genius!

6. Gray says:

What a great idea. I can’t wait to get some Washi tape.

7. Gray says:

What a great idea. I can’t wait to get some Washi tape.

8. Loves.

Tipsies: I recently picked up a number of rolls of similar in fun patterns at Michael’s in the $1 bins.

I just used the red polka dot one here (in link above when you click my name) for the out of town mailed version of this invite and then at the party this weekend to add interest to the plain white cake table tablecloth.

I also picked up some super cute acid green striped tape that I’m using to make “art” and other assorted goodies for a girl’s night party I’m cohosting this weekend.

GET THIS TAPE, It’s my new fave “tool.”

9. Rowaida Flayhan says:

simply gorgeous!

10. HWTM – Thank you so much for posting the vases I decorated with Japanese Washi tape. All the wonderful feed back has been so incredible inspiring :)

~ Elizabeth Goodman

11. The Fairy says:

Way cool. I can’t wait to try it!

12. Linda says:

How innovative! I especially like the ones with the cut out and scalloped edged ones!

13. Julianne says:

What a chic idea, a great way to change a vase and add color!

14. These are SO cute! What a budget-friendly way to add some personalized style to accessories, centerpieces, and more.

15. Janice says:

cute cute and more cute – they are so awesome!!

16. […] & food flags. A picture frame made pretty. A super happy taped birdie card. Gift tags. Updated party vases. And just in case you need more inspiration- a gallery full of inspirational […]

17. […] DIY idea – Japanese Washi Tape…via Hostess With the Mostess “My heart is ever at your service,” A sweet […]

18. Jill says:

Wow, these are so cute! What a great idea!

Jill

19. So pretty… and easy, which I love! Thank you for sharing!

20. Erica says:

The Greeting Farm is another great place to pick up some Washi tape (and they’re pretty competitive with price)

21. Tiffany says:

Gosh these vases are so pretty!! There are so many unique ways to use this great tape. =)

Kawaii Tape also has a great selection of washi masking & cute decorative tapes.

22. Sophia Jacob says:

Amazing!!! It’s so pretty..Thanks & Regards, How to plan a wedding

23. I love these ideas and I’m addicted to Washi Tape! I’ve started selling it by the foot in my Etsy shop!!!

24. Jollygems says:

nice and beautiful post.

25. GRACE says:

I am Grace from Somitape co,.td. My factory has produced Japanese washi tape. We can print any designs. att-ment(附件) is our product pictures. I promise it is our product indeed, not agent. So the price is very good for you. The most important is that our price is much cheaper than MT, and the quality is same as MT. if any we can help,pls contact me by this email [email protected] .Thank you very much.

26. […] Turn plain vases into colorful works of art by wrapping tape around them. […]

27. kim says:

Super-cute idea! I re-posted on twitter and my facebook page today!

28. doro K. says:

Love!! i suppose once i start i can’t stop me from taping vases.

I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

29. […] Art More Art Glass Decoration Trivets […]

30. Tatum says:

Just stunning.

31. […] Hostess with the Mostess has great tips for using the tape to dress up basic decor. […]

32. As a craft judge, it was interesting to see something new, and if it crops up at shows, I will now know what it is.

33. […] via Apartment Therapy, Hostess with the mostess, Carla Jimison, Le Jardin de Juliette, Mamamekko og […]

34. […] Ministryofdeco 2 Hwtm 3 Apartmenttherapy 4 Purehome 5 Apartmentdiet 6 Trendenser 7 Yesmissy 8 Yesmissy 9 Tryfordiy 10 […]

35. […] Ministryofdeco 2 Hwtm 3 Apartmenttherapy 4 Purehome 5 Apartmentdiet 6 Trendenser 7 Yesmissy 8 Yesmissy 9 Tryfordiy 10 […]